Deep Seated (sic?) UTI

Old April 27th 09, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nessa

Default Deep Seated (sic?) UTI

Hannah has something going on. she was on some very expensive doggy
specific antibiotic (a large brown chewable tablet) for two weeks.
the UTI came back almost immediately (testing positive for both white
and red cells) so we put her on FOUR MORE weeks of said expensive
drug. (on top of the other stuff she already has to take) and she
seemed fine. She's been off of the drug about a week and last night
she started the crying all night again.

this morning out she runs and the behavior is again clearly indicating
a UTI. I'll do a catch later today when I take her to the vet.

Our next step according to our very new young vet (first year out but
with a very old established practice) is to sedate her, scope her, do
a clean catch and figure out what's going on....

also, she's gaining weight even though we've increased her exercise
and decreased her food....
because she seems to be drinking more I'm having her tested for
Diabetes as well. after all she's now middle aged (or better at 7)

I know she's sick, i left her and she had already taken herself to her
(evil) crate and was laying in her (evil) crate with the door wide
open. It's her safe place and she goes there when she does not feel
good.

I post this seeking comments.... info, experiences, advice...
Old April 27th 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article
,
Nessa wrote:

this morning out she runs and the behavior is again clearly indicating
a UTI. I'll do a catch later today when I take her to the vet.

Our next step according to our very new young vet (first year out but
with a very old established practice) is to sedate her, scope her, do
a clean catch and figure out what's going on....

also, she's gaining weight even though we've increased her exercise
and decreased her food....
because she seems to be drinking more I'm having her tested for
Diabetes as well. after all she's now middle aged (or better at 7)

I'd wait until the urine test comes back. She's been cultured as well?
I'd also wait for the diabetes results to come back (and I assume you
know that fasting blood and first-thing urine are really important if
you want accurate numbers). The scope procedure would be only after I
exhausted all of the less invasive things, but that's just me.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 27th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nessa

On Apr 27, 7:28*am, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article
,

*Nessa wrote:

[...]

Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I thought the scope WAS the culture... maybe i'm getting it wrong....

usually i just do a catch in a pan and bring it in.. did not get her
morning pee... but she now has a 1:45 appointment and I'm thinking
they will keep her overnight to do the scope first thing....

didn't even think about fasting blood for her....
Old April 27th 09, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article
,
Nessa wrote:

I thought the scope WAS the culture... maybe i'm getting it wrong....

The usual culture is a needle into the bladder for a clean draw. Maybe
he's just calling it something else.

usually i just do a catch in a pan and bring it in.. did not get her
morning pee... but she now has a 1:45 appointment and I'm thinking
they will keep her overnight to do the scope first thing....

The first morning stuff really does make a difference when evaluating
concentration.

didn't even think about fasting blood for her....

Again, can make a huge difference. I've been through this with both
gold dogs (no UTIs, but kidney or urinary issues) and have seen how off
things can be.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 27th 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 04:20:42 -0700 (PDT), Nessa
wrote:

[...]

An experienced vet should be able to do a cystocentesis without
sedataion and with very minimal trauma/discomfort for the dog. The
sterile sample is then sent for culture and sensitivity.

Mustang Sally

Old April 27th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:32:56 -0700 (PDT), Nessa
wrote:

On Apr 27, 7:28*am, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article
,

*Nessa wrote:

[...]

Cystoscopy is not necessary for a culture and sensitivity.

Old April 27th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nessa

On Apr 27, 8:41*am, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

An experienced vet should be able to do a cystocentesis without
sedataion and with very minimal trauma/discomfort for the dog. *The
sterile sample is then sent for culture and sensitivity.

Mustang Sally-

I'm thinking that maybe this may be a time to call in the old guy with
no personality who is awesome with the dogs...
normally I see him or the middle range vet but we started with this
girl as an emergency and I thought we should not switch midstream but
since I know this young vet since she was 9 years old (i was friends
with her mom a lifetime ago) I think I can easily broach the "maybe
we want to talk to the other vet" comment with her.
Old April 27th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Cystoscopy is not necessary for a culture and sensitivity.

That's been my experience, too, and in with some dogs they
can use minimal-to-no sedation.

Old April 27th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nessa

On Apr 27, 8:52*am, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:

Cystoscopy is not necessary for a culture and sensitivity. *

That's been my experience, too, and in with some dogs they
can use minimal-to-no sedation.
--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

and hannah is that type of dog. she's mellow and easy going...
Old April 27th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:50:28 -0700 (PDT), Nessa
wrote:

On Apr 27, 8:41*am, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

An experienced vet should be able to do a cystocentesis without
sedataion and with very minimal trauma/discomfort for the dog. *The
sterile sample is then sent for culture and sensitivity.

Mustang Sally-

I'm thinking that maybe this may be a time to call in the old guy with
no personality who is awesome with the dogs...
normally I see him or the middle range vet but we started with this
girl as an emergency and I thought we should not switch midstream but
since I know this young vet since she was 9 years old (i was friends
with her mom a lifetime ago) I think I can easily broach the "maybe
we want to talk to the other vet" comment with her.

I think I would. Cystoscopy shouldn't be necessary unless there is
suspicion of some sort of mechanical problem, and in any case culture
& sensitivity should be done before that. Are all the vets in the
same practice? If so, it shouldn't be a huge deal.