WOW has Harley Come a LONG WAY...

Old April 30th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

Default WOW has Harley Come a LONG WAY...

last night after the dogs came in I got the "yummy can" (it's a can
that used to hold Animal Cracker Cookies (for humans) and so it says
"animal Crackers" on it. I'm so clever...) note that was SARCASM

the dogs both IMMEDIATELY SAT. and looked at me. I put one tiny
charlee bear treat (about 1/2 inch across and flat) in my lips and
bent down and Harley took it from my mouth... we have been working
on 'easy' and "gentle" with him as he was always very GRABBY and
teethy with his food and treats...

He is with us just over 6 months and it was like magic at the 6 month
mark (which I was told was a big deal for a rescue) he just got sweet
and loveable for my husband (who was so hurt that Harley would not
come to him for pets) and he seemed to relax about food and treats.

his seperation anxiety seems to be lessening as well.
Old April 30th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Nessa wrote:
last night after the dogs came in I got the "yummy can" (it's a can
that used to hold Animal Cracker Cookies (for humans) and so it says
"animal Crackers" on it. I'm so clever...) note that was SARCASM

the dogs both IMMEDIATELY SAT. and looked at me. I put one tiny
charlee bear treat (about 1/2 inch across and flat) in my lips and
bent down and Harley took it from my mouth... we have been working
on 'easy' and "gentle" with him as he was always very GRABBY and
teethy with his food and treats...

He is with us just over 6 months and it was like magic at the 6 month
mark (which I was told was a big deal for a rescue) he just got sweet
and loveable for my husband (who was so hurt that Harley would not
come to him for pets) and he seemed to relax about food and treats.

his seperation anxiety seems to be lessening as well.

Awww, this is sweet! All your patience and training is paying
off big time!

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 30th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
Nessa wrote:

He is with us just over 6 months and it was like magic at the 6 month
mark (which I was told was a big deal for a rescue) he just got sweet
and loveable for my husband (who was so hurt that Harley would not
come to him for pets) and he seemed to relax about food and treats.

How very wonderful!

--
Janet Boss
Old April 30th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Nessa" wrote in message
last night after the dogs came in I got the "yummy can" (it's a can
that used to hold Animal Cracker Cookies (for humans) and so it says
"animal Crackers" on it. I'm so clever...) note that was SARCASM

the dogs both IMMEDIATELY SAT. and looked at me. I put one tiny
charlee bear treat (about 1/2 inch across and flat) in my lips and
bent down and Harley took it from my mouth... we have been working
on 'easy' and "gentle" with him as he was always very GRABBY and
teethy with his food and treats...

He is with us just over 6 months and it was like magic at the 6 month
mark (which I was told was a big deal for a rescue) he just got sweet
and loveable for my husband (who was so hurt that Harley would not
come to him for pets) and he seemed to relax about food and treats.

his seperation anxiety seems to be lessening as well.

I am happy for you and Harley that he is progressing well because of (or in
spite of) Janet's influence. Muttley, also a rescue, has always been gentle
taking treats, although he sometimes gets a little snappy when offered a
rawhide chew. He also sat nicely for treats. This was all before I took him
to obedience class, and I had always treated him with kindness and respect.
Fortunately he survived the experience with forceful corrections and
dominance based methods, even though he did not learn to pay attention.

Muttley never did seem to have separation anxiety, and after six months I
was able to give him free run of the house. Again, without formal training.
Just be nice (and consistent) with your dog...

Paul and Muttley

Old April 30th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

On Apr 30, 11:06*am, FurPaw wrote:
Nessa wrote:
[...]

thank you FurPaw
it's been stressful at times and he still has some issues... at the
vet the other day a small JRT barked at him and he was scared. We all
laughed because he jumped up on the bench and hid behind me putting
his head on my shoulder to peer at the other dog. (it's safe behind
mom I guess)

Old April 30th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

On Apr 30, 12:11*pm, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article
,

*Nessa wrote:

He is with us just over 6 months and it was like magic at the 6 month
mark (which I was told was a big deal for a rescue) he just got sweet
and loveable for my husband (who was so hurt that Harley would not
come to him for pets) and he seemed to relax about food and treats.

How very wonderful!

--
Janet Boss

www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

thank you Janet. I am really excited about coming to class with him
this time. he still is afraid of dark glasses, small children
hoodies and hats.. but he's doing better...
class should be a treat for all of us!
Old May 1st 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara Green

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message
[...]

And yet he just bit a lab puppy last month

Nothing new under the sun after all....
Old May 1st 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

"Nessa" wrote in message

it's been stressful at times and he still has some issues... at the
vet the other day a small JRT barked at him and he was scared. We all
laughed because he jumped up on the bench and hid behind me putting
his head on my shoulder to peer at the other dog. (it's safe behind
mom I guess)

And that's just all kinds of charming too...
Your love of Harley shines through in your posts.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old May 1st 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Tara Green" wrote in message
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message
[...]

And a big, off-leash dog attacked and killed my neighbor's dear little
Papillon, Bug, with whom Muttley was playing just a few days before on Palm
Sunday. But nobody here cared enough to post their condolences upon my
announcement of the untimely demise of Muttley's little friend.

And Nessa said that her dog "would have destroyed" Muttley. So much for
nice dogs and nice people who offer to try to find out why dogs act as they
do, and work out possible solutions.

Nice try, Tara. Thanks for playing. No prize for a cheap shot...

Paul and Muttley

Old May 1st 09, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara Green

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"Tara Green" wrote in message
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message
[...]

Not really a cheap shot. You were zinging
jabs about Nessa's successes, so bring up the
fact that Muttley aggressed towards (and bit)
a young puppy in a group setting just last
month was actually pretty relevant.

Harley turns ONE Nessa[_2_] Dog behavior 4 December 29th 08 11:11 AM
Harley Update Nessa[_2_] Dog behavior 1 November 17th 08 11:20 AM
Introducing Harley Nessa Dog behavior 64 October 28th 08 11:02 AM
Harley and the Steps. Nessa[_2_] Dog behavior 29 October 25th 08 04:23 PM
Harley went home Kathleen Dog behavior 5 August 25th 07 06:47 PM