Bubba's not feeling so well, arthritis sucks

Old May 14th 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
spot

Default Bubba's not feeling so well, arthritis sucks

This crappy rainy cold weather is making him miserable. His arthritis
is really bothering him. I had to increase his Rimadyl this week to
100mg to give him some relief.

Today I took him for a short walk about 1/3 of what we usually do and he
was limping really bad by the time we got home. I really thought I
might have to carry him up the ramp. But he went up it on his own after
a few minutes. I broke down and gave him 25mg of ultram to help with the
pain. Now before any one yells at me for it the orthopedic vets had me
do it before it's safe to give it along with his Rimadyl.

I'm going to call the vets and get him in and see what we can do to give
him some relief. I think it's time we switch to Deramaxx. I know years
ago when I went through the same thing with Barney we switched it and
made a bid difference for him.

Celeste
Old May 14th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

spot wrote:

I'm going to call the vets and get him in and see what we can do to give
him some relief. I think it's time we switch to Deramaxx. I know years
ago when I went through the same thing with Barney we switched it and
made a bid difference for him.

Is he on anything other than rimadyl/deramaxx or other pain relieving
nsaids? I've been pretty surprised (and very pleased) at how effective a
combination of pain relief (Doggonepain in this case) and
glucosamine/chondroitin have helped Viva.
Old May 14th 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Glenn Lyford

I'm going to call the vets and get him in and see what we can do to give
him some relief. *I think it's time we switch to Deramaxx. *I know years
ago when I went through the same thing with Barney we switched it and
made a bid difference for him.

We had good results with Deramaxx, and were feeding glucosamine but as
the disease progresses glucosamine has less and less affect (it seems
to help slow the damage, but once the damage has been done, it doesn't
seem to help as much).

Our boarding kennel had several dogs who had switched to metacam (sp?)
with very good results. We considered switching but our vet told us
since the Deramaxx was working, stick with it, and that there were
something like a 100 NSAIDs out there to pick from, and each behaved a
little differently.

So your vet may decide that Deramaxx will be your next choice, or
Metacam, or maybe something else entirely, hopefully with some
understanding of your dog and how the proposed drug works (or doesn't)
on similar cases.

Good luck.
--Glenn Lyford
Old May 15th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

spot wrote:

I'm going to call the vets and get him in and see what we can do to give
him some relief. I think it's time we switch to Deramaxx. I know years
ago when I went through the same thing with Barney we switched it and
made a bid difference for him.

Celeste

Ouch, poor Bubba! Dylan and Chile were on Deramaxx for
arthritis, and that seemed to help. But the thing that really
made the difference for them was Adequan (injection, every 4-6
weeks). Their mobility improved markedly after we started on it.
Dylan was on it for about a year, and Chile for about 2 years.
(No, I don't have any financial interest! I just hope it's
approved for human use by the time my touch of arthritis gets
worse.) It's one more thing you can research and check out with
your vet.

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old May 16th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
spot

I'm going to ask about the shots. I don't know if my local vet does
them or not. If she doesn't I know the orthopedic vet I've taken him to
in the past does them.

I'm just glad I have the ultram to give him to help with it. With out
it I doubt I'd be able to get him to do much more than walk off the
porch and pee. At least with it he's able to get up and walk. I took
him for a short walk tonight about 2 hours after I gave it to him.
Nothing to much just down the alley a couple blocks.

Celeste
Old May 18th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tracey K

On May 15, 9:07*pm, spot wrote:
I'm going to ask about the shots. *I don't know if my local vet does
them or not. *If she doesn't I know the orthopedic vet I've taken him to
in the past does them.

I'm just glad I have the ultram to give him to help with it. *With out
it I doubt I'd be able to get him to do much more than walk off the
porch and pee. *At least with it he's able to get up and walk. *I took
him for a short walk tonight about 2 hours after I gave it to him.
Nothing to much just down the alley a couple blocks.

Celeste

Have you considered acupuncture? That really help Dexter his last
year

http://www.holisticvetlist.com/#search
Old May 18th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"Tracey K" wrote in message
On May 15, 9:07 pm, spot wrote:
I'm going to ask about the shots. I don't know if my local vet does
them or not. If she doesn't I know the orthopedic vet I've taken him
in the past does them.

I'm just glad I have the ultram to give him to help with it. With out
it I doubt I'd be able to get him to do much more than walk off the
porch and pee. At least with it he's able to get up and walk. I took
him for a short walk tonight about 2 hours after I gave it to him.
Nothing to much just down the alley a couple blocks.

Celeste

Have you considered acupuncture? That really help Dexter his last
year

http://www.holisticvetlist.com/#search

That and cold laser therapy worked wonders for Atty - we started with an
injection of adequan, a chiropractic adjustment, accupuncture, and then
4 laser treatments over a week's time. Made a world of difference, and
she's not had any additional laser lights in about 1.5 years.

Sue and Atty

Old May 19th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message

"Tracey K" wrote in message
On May 15, 9:07 pm, spot wrote:
[...]

Oops, sorry, that looks like I posted the link, too. My post started
with the laser therapy - at the line that I inserted. Sorry for any
confusion.
Sue and Atty