Good suggestion

Old May 22nd 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Good suggestion

[]
I recently read a raw feeder say that he sends samples of
his diet for testing to make sure that the diet meets his
dogs' nutritional needs, for both macronutrients and
micronutrients. He said that most vet schools have labs
that will do the testing for you, and that he's used
Cornell, Michigan, and MN. This seems very reasonable to
me.

Old May 22nd 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Melinda Shore wrote:
[]
I recently read a raw feeder say that he sends samples of
his diet for testing to make sure that the diet meets his
dogs' nutritional needs, for both macronutrients and
micronutrients. He said that most vet schools have labs
that will do the testing for you, and that he's used
Cornell, Michigan, and MN. This seems very reasonable to
me.

Overkill to me.

Though I think getting bloodwork done on a
more regular basis is fairly prudent to make
sure levels are staying within range.
Old May 22nd 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
Overkill to me.

He's a musher - nutrition is critical. But the thing that
bugs me about raw feeding is that it's common to pay
attention to ingredients and completely ignore nutrition.
There are people who run around claiming that if you take
care of the ingredients nutrition will take care of itself,
which is not true. How much it matters to you, I think,
depends on the extent to which it matters that food is
fuel.

Old May 22nd 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
Overkill to me.

He's a musher - nutrition is critical. But the thing that
bugs me about raw feeding is that it's common to pay
attention to ingredients and completely ignore nutrition.
There are people who run around claiming that if you take
care of the ingredients nutrition will take care of itself,
which is not true. How much it matters to you, I think,
depends on the extent to which it matters that food is
fuel.

I don't know how common it is. On the raw
food groups I'm on, nutrition (and keeping up
with the math involved) is considered critical.

But I agree, it *does* happen. But I'd say
its about as common (percentage
wise....though I'm pulling that directly out
of my ass) as the "human food = love"
bananaheads that put delicious toppings on
their dog's kibble.

Thankfully, the folks I have seen who feed
raw who spout silliness like our new resident
(fake) homeopath are few and far between. I
suspect the ones that *are* like that are
just more vocal about their idiocy.

And on that front, I'm trying to retrain
myself into thinking of food as fuel for *me*
now. Am going to try raw for a few months
myself to see how it goes. I have to do
something drastic to get me off of my mac n
cheese addiction of late :-)
Old May 22nd 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
But I agree, it *does* happen. But I'd say
its about as common (percentage
wise....though I'm pulling that directly out
of my ass) as the "human food = love"
bananaheads that put delicious toppings on
their dog's kibble.

Oooooohhhh noooooooo - those people are *everywhere*.
I think we've got a lot of non-random sampling going on
here, in any event, but my guess would be that someone that
cares enough to send their diet to a lab for analysis cares
enough and is well-informed enough to be doing a good job in
the first place.

And on that front, I'm trying to retrain
myself into thinking of food as fuel for *me*
now. Am going to try raw for a few months
myself to see how it goes. I have to do
something drastic to get me off of my mac n
cheese addiction of late :-)

Wow. That should be interesting. Were you running at some
point, and are you now?

Old May 22nd 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
But I agree, it *does* happen. But I'd say
its about as common (percentage
wise....though I'm pulling that directly out
of my ass) as the "human food = love"
bananaheads that put delicious toppings on
their dog's kibble.

Oooooohhhh noooooooo - those people are *everywhere*.
I think we've got a lot of non-random sampling going on
here, in any event, but my guess would be that someone that
cares enough to send their diet to a lab for analysis cares
enough and is well-informed enough to be doing a good job in
the first place.

Oh definitely. I was only suggesting (in case
there was an implication) that those that
stop short of that aren't necessarily
stopping short of caring about nutrition. I'm
glad he's doing that. If he ever publishes
the nutritional results and his recipes, I'd
be *really* interested in reading about it.

I'm looking into cat nutrition a lot these
days. Its truly amazing to me how little is
actually known about the nutritional needs of
cats. Scary, even.

Wow. That should be interesting.

Yeah, well I got really sick last year.
Ironically, I got sick doing a cleanse that
many MANY all natural folks think of as the
end all and be all of cleanses. While I DID
see a lot of benefits from it (increased
energy....by a lot, actually, clarity, weight
loss, lack of interest in "bad foods"), and
didn't have any problems the first time
around, I found out that my second cleanse
months later triggered an issue that (due to
a lack of health insurance while a
student....oh yay!) I couldn't get diagnosed
for over a year. But it was scary.

Turns out, I nearly burned holes into my
colon. Yeah, THAT was fun. Needless to say,
I'm persona non-grata on the Master Cleanse
forum. They used to LOVE my posts back when I
was multiple days into it and posting my
success. Not so much when I have a genuine
cautionary tale about how not *every* single
physical reaction is a "detox symptom".

Yet another reason why I get really upset
when people who aren't qualified to assess
certain situations go ahead and make
assertions anyway. I'm still a proponent of
Natural when its the best (or even an equal)
solution. But its *not* always benign, and to
throw around advice as though it can never do
harm is the height of irresponsibility.

But then I'm preaching to the choir, I know.

Were you running at some
point, and are you now?

Oh no. I tore the cartilage in both of my
hips a couple of years ago during a
ridiculous (and unnecessary) fall off of a
piece of climbing equipment at my boot camp
workout.

Thus the perceived need for the cleanse at
the time since I was suddenly strikingly
sedentary.

Of course the impact of being ill this past
year (just over) has wreaked havoc on my
figure and eating habits far more than was
the case back then. I couldn't exercise for
10 months (I could barely walk without
passing out), so at this point, a vigorous
walk is still a semi-big deal.

But raw food and lots of yoga is on the
agenda before Burning Man. Egads....I'm
definitely vain enough to have that be a
motivator in getting my sorry butt back in
shape fast. But not so fast that I'm willing
to get stupid about it....no matter how
"natural" and "innocuous" the process. But I
do like what I've seen from some of the raw
foodists, and now that there are actually
recipes that don't completely suck (and that
don;t all taste like raw cabbage and
carrots), I'm willing to give it a shot. Long
term, I suspect the most I will ever do is
modified raw though. I LURRRRVE yummy food
too much to give up some of my favorite
cooked dishes.
Old May 22nd 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
If he ever publishes
the nutritional results and his recipes, I'd
be *really* interested in reading about it.

Yeah, me too. He's a walking example of ADHD, though, plus
he's always got an angle on something, so I think he's
not going to be publishing it. I'll ask, see what happens.

Turns out, I nearly burned holes into my
colon.

HOLY CRAP! Are you okay? That sounds nasty.

But I
do like what I've seen from some of the raw
foodists, and now that there are actually
recipes that don't completely suck (and that
don;t all taste like raw cabbage and
carrots), I'm willing to give it a shot. Long
term, I suspect the most I will ever do is
modified raw though. I LURRRRVE yummy food
too much to give up some of my favorite
cooked dishes.

I think some mix is reasonable. I figure it's impossible to
be perfect and to just do better is a good goal, esp. piling
better on top of better and eventually you end up pretty
good. Different people have different modes but I've found
that doing something all-or-nothing usually ends up
"nothing" and in those cases incrementalism can produce
better results.

Suggestion Please Vikas Dog rescue 13 December 17th 05 08:34 PM
Food suggestion Marcel Beaudoin Dog behavior 344 October 14th 03 10:33 PM
Food suggestion Marcel Beaudoin Dog behavior 0 October 9th 03 01:22 PM
Food suggestion Marcel Beaudoin Dog behavior 0 October 9th 03 01:22 PM
suggestion Jo Wolf Dog activities 4 September 18th 03 12:57 PM