Common Diseases caused by Diet

Old May 25th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Default Common Diseases caused by Diet

Diet and Disease....

Diet is linked to MOST all common dog and cat
diseases.

The following is a list of common diseases, and their
dietary links...

-Allergies. The most common proven allergens for dogs
are beef, chicken, milk, eggs, corn, wheat, and soy;
for cats, fish and milk products.

-Arthritis is often a result of joint wear and tear -
but, diet is key. If the appropriate diet is fed, your
pet is less likely to be overweight, and have arthritis.
Many of the Premium diets have additional anti-oxidants,
Glucosamine and EFA's which will aid in treating and preventing
arthritis.

-Dental Disease is often a result of dogs and cats not
having adequate abrasive food materials to regularly chew on.
In the wild, dogs and cats would both regularly crunch bones.
I am seeing dog guardians who feed raw food to have very health
dogs with exceptionally clean teeth.

-Kidney Failure. Inadequate and improper protein sources and
low moisture content (of dry foods) are the two major kidney
stressors I believe occur in commercial foods. The kidneys also
take a hard hit from many toxins to which the body is exposed.

-Urinary Infections and Crystals. This is often caused by
consumption of a dry, high carbohydrate diet. The classic
example is the corn based dry cat food that produces a high
urinary ph and concentrated urine. These are the two biggest
risk factors for FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease).

-Hyperthyroidism. This is defined as enlarged thyroid glands
and high levels of thyroid hormone in the blood. The increase
of this had been attributed to chemicals in Cat Food.

-Chronic Vomiting and Diarrhea. In addition, the proteins in
grains are less digestible than animal proteins.

-Immune Disorders. The immune system becomes irritated and
weakened by the invasion of foreign, non-nutritive protein
and carbohydrate particles. Allergies and other chronic immune
problems may develop. In severe cases this can lead to Auto
Immune Hemolytic Anemia.

-Diabetes and Pancreatitis. The pet's pancreas will do its best
to keep up with the demand for amylase. But over time the Pancreas
loses its ability to respond leading inflammation, and severe
vomiting/diarrhea. In other cases the Pancreas is no longer able
to produce insulin, resulting in Diabetes.

-Seizures. Preservatives such as ethoxyquin, BHT, and BHA
should be avoided as they can cause seizures. Many "supermarket"
foods are loaded with chemical dyes and preservatives. Buy a high
quality kibble made from "human grade" ingredients - or better yet,
cook for your pet.

-Liver Disease. There are various causes of Liver disease - but
in cats, diet is the culprit in both causing - and treating it.
The single biggest risk factor is to have an overweight cat, which
suddenly stops eating for a period of time, mobilizes his fat stores,
and causes a condition called Hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver).
The important point here is to avoid obesity by feeding a diet
high in animal protein - and AVOIDING the cheap carbohydrate based
dry cat foods.

-CANCER. There are many dietary risk factors that are contributing
to Cancer.

Here are just a few:

Smoke flavor. Indicates flavor which can potentially become
carcinogenic, retards bacteria on rancid meat.

Ethoxyquin (a preservative).The most carcinogenic preservative,
most in industry have stopped using it except very cheap, poor
quality foods.

"Red 40". Artificial color, carcinogenic.

Sodium nitrite (for color retention). Potentially highly carcinogenic.

BHA (a preservative). Chemical. Highly carcinogenic preservative.
Corn oil (preserved with TBHQ). TBHQ contains petroleum-derived butane,
can be carcinogenic.

Artificial flavor. Can become carcinogenic. Produces allergies.

http://www.theonlinevet.com/
Old May 25th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/

I *thought* that's where you were getting your material!

Old May 25th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Binder Dundat

On May 25, 10:44*am, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,

--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

You are an idiot who spends far too much time on the internet.
Find a different "reality based community" . One where you actually
deal with people in person and not hide behind a keyboard and all the
drugs you need to take to keep from chewing off your front paws.
Old May 25th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

chardonnay9 wrote:

-Arthritis is often a result of joint wear and tear -
but, diet is key. If the appropriate diet is fed, your
pet is less likely to be overweight, and have arthritis.

You meant to say (or to "quote"....without
actually using quotes) that it reduces
*weight related* arthritis....right?

Because not all, nor even most arthritis is
caused by diet or weight.

-Dental Disease is often a result of dogs and cats not
having adequate abrasive food materials to regularly chew on.
In the wild, dogs and cats would both regularly crunch bones.
I am seeing dog guardians who feed raw food to have very health
dogs with exceptionally clean teeth.

While I very often don't proofread my usenet
posts before sending them out, I never
understand it when a professional wo is
putting together what he feels is an
informational website doesn't proofread what
they're putting out there.

-Kidney Failure. Inadequate and improper protein sources and
low moisture content (of dry foods) are the two major kidney
stressors I believe occur in commercial foods.

Note he says "he believes"

The kidneys also
take a hard hit from many toxins to which the body is exposed.

They also take an *extremely* hard hit when
calcium and phospherous ratios are off.

Hey Chard, without googling (i.e. cheating),
what are those ratios? Oh right, you don't
know, nor do you think you need to know.

-Urinary Infections and Crystals. This is often caused by
consumption of a dry, high carbohydrate diet.

Bullshit.

The classic
example is the corn based dry cat food that produces a high
urinary ph and concentrated urine. These are the two biggest
risk factors for FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease).

Cats on raw get UTI's just as frequently as
cats on kibbled diets. Stones can be less
likely....but not always, since folks can
(and do) often compensate and try to make an
alkaline or an acidic environment in the
urinary tract to prevent certain types, which
tends to cause the *other* type.

There are things you can add to prevent
*certain* types of bacterial UTI's (in people
too), but that's just knowing about vitamins,
and is not intrinsically linked to feeding raw.

-Hyperthyroidism. This is defined as enlarged thyroid glands
and high levels of thyroid hormone in the blood. The increase
of this had been attributed to chemicals in Cat Food.

By Who? "has been attributed" is one of those
statements that needs a cite. Otherwise its
just another version of "I think"

-Chronic Vomiting and Diarrhea. In addition, the proteins in
grains are less digestible than animal proteins.

Funny, I have a cat here who tends to throw
up on raw. She didn't on Evo.

-Immune Disorders. The immune system becomes irritated and
weakened by the invasion of foreign, non-nutritive protein
and carbohydrate particles. Allergies and other chronic immune
problems may develop. In severe cases this can lead to Auto
Immune Hemolytic Anemia.

Cite.

-Diabetes and Pancreatitis. The pet's pancreas will do its best
to keep up with the demand for amylase. But over time the Pancreas
loses its ability to respond leading inflammation, and severe
vomiting/diarrhea. In other cases the Pancreas is no longer able
to produce insulin, resulting in Diabetes.

Oh wow. Really needs a cite for this one.
I've seen raw fed diabetics and I've
CERTAINLY seen raw fed dogs with pancreatitis
(mostly people who fed lie you suggested that
other guy feed his dog)

-Liver Disease. There are various causes of Liver disease - but
in cats, diet is the culprit in both causing - and treating it.
The single biggest risk factor is to have an overweight cat, which
suddenly stops eating for a period of time, mobilizes his fat stores,
and causes a condition called Hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver).
The important point here is to avoid obesity by feeding a diet
high in animal protein - and AVOIDING the cheap carbohydrate based
dry cat foods.

I have yet to see for sure that feeding raw
prevents all obesity.

-CANCER. There are many dietary risk factors that are contributing
to Cancer.

Here are just a few:

Smoke flavor. Indicates flavor which can potentially become
carcinogenic, retards bacteria on rancid meat.

Ethoxyquin (a preservative).The most carcinogenic preservative,
most in industry have stopped using it except very cheap, poor
quality foods.

"Red 40". Artificial color, carcinogenic.

Sodium nitrite (for color retention). Potentially highly carcinogenic.

BHA (a preservative). Chemical. Highly carcinogenic preservative.
Corn oil (preserved with TBHQ). TBHQ contains petroleum-derived butane,
can be carcinogenic.

Artificial flavor. Can become carcinogenic. Produces allergies.

http://www.theonlinevet.com/

Unless you eat totally raw yourself, you're
kind of losing credibility here.

Do YOU eat totally raw? If you don;t, then
you really ought to shut the hell up wth your
preaching. If you won;t do it to yourself,
then you have no business trying to get
everyone else to do it to their dogs.
Old May 25th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

chardonnay9 wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/

I *thought* that's where you were getting your material!

You are an idiot who spends far too much time on the internet.
Find a different "reality based community" . One where you actually
deal with people in person and not hide behind a keyboard and all the
drugs you need to take to keep from chewing off your front paws.

Melinda,

You have a sockpuppet hanging off your shoe.
Old May 25th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
You have a sockpuppet hanging off your shoe.

Oh. I've been out on poop patrol and I thought that was
something else. It certainly has all the characteristics of
something else.

Old May 25th 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
You have a sockpuppet hanging off your shoe.

Oh. I've been out on poop patrol and I thought that was
something else. It certainly has all the characteristics of
something else.

Ah, that's what I get when I leap to a
conclusion.

(I'm not a header reader. I tried it once,
and ended up thinking that I was my own
forger ;-)
Old May 25th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Tara Green wrote:

Do YOU eat totally raw? If you don;t, then you really ought to shut the
hell up wth your preaching. If you won;t do it to yourself, then you
have no business trying to get everyone else to do it to their dogs.

And on this note, since I am eating raw
myself (and not proposing that anyone who
doesn't is an unhealthy freak who is abusing
their bodies by cooking.....unlike SOME
people do exactly that when it comes to
pets), I came across this raw foodist whose
perspective I think is very balanced and who
is willing to take a cold, honest look at
what raw food can and cannot do....and at
what raw foodists tend to become when their
egos remain unchecked.

And I very much agree with him.
(I thought the section on "dietary racism"
was especially appropriate for this discussion)

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/...ide%20of%20raw