What is MSM?

Old May 26th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB[_3_]

Default What is MSM?

I was given some by a friend who says it is great for dogs. The container
says it is for horses, but he insists it's for all animals. I thought I'd
ask here for advice.

Steve

Old May 26th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

SteveB wrote:
I was given some by a friend who says it is great for dogs. The container
says it is for horses, but he insists it's for all animals. I thought I'd
ask here for advice.

Steve

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MSM+canine+arthritis+site%3Aedu

I put the site:edu in to filter out the commercial posts.

HTH -

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old May 26th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
SteveB wrote:
I was given some by a friend who says it is great for dogs. The container
says it is for horses, but he insists it's for all animals. I thought I'd
ask here for advice.

It's a sulfur compound. I've used it with horses and found
that it appeared to alleviate arthritic pain. It's believed
to be safe for dogs, although obviously you'd want to do
some digging to find the right dosage.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Old May 27th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB[_3_]

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
I was given some by a friend who says it is great for dogs. The container
says it is for horses, but he insists it's for all animals. I thought I'd
ask here for advice.

It's a sulfur compound. I've used it with horses and found
that it appeared to alleviate arthritic pain. It's believed
to be safe for dogs, although obviously you'd want to do
some digging to find the right dosage.

What problem are you trying to solve?

I have a Lab/Rott mix that has to be at least ten. She's getting slow to
get around, and she's stiff at times.

Steve

Old May 27th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

SteveB wrote:
I was given some by a friend who says it is great for dogs. The container
says it is for horses, but he insists it's for all animals. I thought I'd
ask here for advice.

It's a sulfur compound. I've used it with horses and found
that it appeared to alleviate arthritic pain. It's believed
to be safe for dogs, although obviously you'd want to do
some digging to find the right dosage.

What problem are you trying to solve?

I have a Lab/Rott mix that has to be at least ten. She's getting slow to
get around, and she's stiff at times.

Slow can be anything from cartilage issues to
tendon issues to bone issues. MSM only works
on one of those. Its helpful in situations
like this to get more information on *why*
the dog is stiff (is it simple arthritis? is
it a tendon? Slipping discs?) before trying
different treatments.

While it probably won't hurt, it may not help
at all. I'd rather see a hard diagnosis so
you can put your money towards a solution
that is more likely to work than to just
throw products at it.

FWIW, with my old dog's arthritis (very
severe), glucosamin/chondroitin helped
enormously. I supplemented him with Joint
Formula Level 5000 (tm) and I was always
amazed at how much more mobile he was on it
rather than off it.
Old May 27th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB[_3_]

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Both the dogs are going to the vet this week. My corgi needs his toenails
clipped, and that's like trying to sharpen a moving chain saw.

Steve

Old May 27th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
spot

Tara I did a search for this Joint Formula Level 5000 but can't find any
specific web site. Where did you purchase it at?

Thanks
Celeste
Old May 27th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

spot wrote:
Tara I did a search for this Joint Formula Level 5000 but can't find any
specific web site. Where did you purchase it at?

Shoot, I was soooo sleepy when I wrote that.
I bought mine locally (though I'm sure its
less expensive online). I know its the same
product Suja uses (or used, if she's changed
things up) on Khan.

I have to run, but this is the first hit on
the product I came up with on google:
http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/prodI....php?prodID=12
Old May 27th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Tara Green" wrote in message:

I know its the same product Suja uses (or used, if she's changed things
up) on Khan.

And Pan. We still use it.

Steve, it's called K-9 Liquid Health 5000. Stuff works like magic for Pan
especially (dysplastic Dane), and our vet even called me once to find out
what the stuff was so she could recommend it to another client. I get mine
he
http://www.countrysidepet.com/index....TS&Category=96
Have been doing business with them for years, never a problem.

Suja

Old May 27th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"Suja" wrote in message

"Tara Green" wrote in message:

I know its the same product Suja uses (or used, if she's changed
things up) on Khan.

And Pan. We still use it.

Steve, it's called K-9 Liquid Health 5000. Stuff works like magic for
Pan especially (dysplastic Dane), and our vet even called me once to
find out what the stuff was so she could recommend it to another
client. I get mine he
http://www.countrysidepet.com/index....TS&Category=96
Have been doing business with them for years, never a problem.

Suja

Atty uses the vegetarian version (with HA) due to beef/fish issues -
LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
http://www.countrysidepet.com/index....ROD&ProdID=754

Sue and Atty (who has 4 staples in her leg due to a dock diving mishap
on Saturday sigh)