Bladder Stones

Old May 27th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Bladder Stones

Two weekends ago i took my little dog camping. I notice she was
trying to pee frequently. She did that in the past but not that
frequent. The next morning i notice every few steps she was
attempting to pee. then i notice the blood dripping out from under
her. I rushed her to the vet over 100 KM's away. $500 dollars (blood
test and x-rays) the vet discovered she has Stones in her Bladder. He
insisted to cut the stones out. I didn't have the money at the time
to pay for the surgery. He then stated if you change the dog's diet
to help reduce tech stones sizes, they pass through. He also
prescript her 2 weeks worth of Bayril 50 MG (2/day). since that
visit, she has not bleed from urinating. her habits didn't change.
she excises more, i cause this to increase her water intake. She is
as hiper as always. I talked to another vet they also want to perform
surgery. I don't want to cut her open. But do i have a choice? I do
have the funds to pay for he surgery now. 3 yr female Shih Zuo
Old May 27th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

But do i have a choice?

Maybe, maybe not. The Baytril is just to treat the
infection caused by the stone - it won't get rid of the
stone itself.

There are prescription diets (not cheap, but not as
expensive as surgery) that are useful for dissolving stones,
although they're not 100% successful. I recently used the
Science Diet s/d to get rid of a stone in one of my Siberian
Huskies. But my understanding is that it's not recommended
for smaller dogs. Ask your vet. Also, it may be possible
to work out a payment plan with your vet. But yes, the
stone needs to be gotten rid of.

Old May 27th 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara Green

Melinda Shore wrote:
But do i have a choice?

Maybe, maybe not. The Baytril is just to treat the
infection caused by the stone - it won't get rid of the
stone itself.

There are prescription diets (not cheap, but not as
expensive as surgery) that are useful for dissolving stones,
although they're not 100% successful. I recently used the
Science Diet s/d to get rid of a stone in one of my Siberian
Huskies. But my understanding is that it's not recommended
for smaller dogs. Ask your vet. Also, it may be possible
to work out a payment plan with your vet. But yes, the
stone needs to be gotten rid of.

Some folks achieve this with home prepared
diets as well (raw or cooked) but it takes a
lot of learnin'. While these diets aren't
cheap to make either, they tend to be a lot
cheaper than the prescription diets. That's
all I'm gonna say on that though since I have
no direct personal experience with stones. I
am presently controlling a cat's chronic and
very bad intermittent UTI's (a 10 year
history of bad ones) with diet and
supplements, but that is an altogether
different thing that trying to onternally
dissolve stones.

I believe it also depends on what type of
stones they are. (again, this is not an area
I have a lot of experience with though, so
grain of salt time).

I totally agree that these stones need to be
addressed one way or the other....sooner
rather than later.
Old May 27th 09, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Tara Green wrote:
I believe it also depends on what type of
stones they are.

Whoops - right! And that's the problem with taking advice
from random people on the inner tubes. I didn't mention
that diet can sometimes be used to dissolve *struvite*
stones.

I have a friend whose chihuahua just had surgery to remove
a bladder stone and her vet told her that Penny was not a
candidate for a diet-based treatment because of her size.

Old May 27th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Glenn Lyford

There are prescription diets (not cheap, but not as
expensive as surgery) that are useful for dissolving stones,
although they're not 100% successful. *I recently used the
Science Diet s/d to get rid of a stone in one of my Siberian
Huskies.

Our Akita had crystals in her urine which were caught before they
became stones, and s/d worked well to keep them under control. Our
vet had her on 6 mo. senior checkups which helped catch it sooner.
--Glenn Lyford
Old May 27th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
spot

If it were me I'd have them surgically removed.

I've never had a dog with stones but my vet showed me ones she's removed
from a dog. The poor thing had multiple stones so big that it's bladder
was twice the size it should have been from being stretched from the
stones. She told me they basically popped right out of the bladder as
soon as she made the incision from the pressure.

Celeste

Bladder Stones [email protected] Dog health 3 May 27th 09 11:25 AM
bladder stones Brandy Dog behavior 2 June 6th 05 04:10 AM
Help Please! Bladder Stones Help Please! Bladder Stones Help Please! Bladder Stones Jeff Walker Dog health 9 March 9th 04 07:17 AM