IG Dental Care

Old May 28th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default IG Dental Care

Hello...

I have a 6mnth italian greyhound who has quite stinky breath...
sometimes it smells like fish but that might be from eating the cat's
food... Anyhow, I had read that they are quite prone to dental
problems and if not cared for their teeth will start falling out as
soon as 1yr.

Are there any toothpaste/brushes/techniques that you guys would
recommend for my hyper puppy?
Old May 28th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On May 28, 1:34*pm, Tara Green wrote:
wrote:
Hello...

I have a 6mnth italian greyhound who has quite stinky breath...
sometimes it smells like fish but that might be from eating the cat's
food... Anyhow, I had read that they are quite prone to dental
problems and if not cared for their teeth will start falling out as
soon as 1yr.

Are there any toothpaste/brushes/techniques that you guys would
recommend for my hyper puppy?

Has your dog's mouth and breath issues been
checked out by a vet?

While I'm hoping someone with more
information on IGs specifically (Sally?) will
chime in, really bad breathe at 6 months old
suggests a problem to me. Especially since
some forms of bad breath can indicate organ
problems.

I agree that really bad breath at 6 months of age warrants an
evaluation by a vet. My no-longer-pup does not have bad breath
despite occasional poop-eating.

IGs, like many small breeds, need aggressive dental care. Many
sighthounds are prone to dental problems due to their jaw shape and
this may be part of the problem for IGs as well; I don't know. It is
not true, however, that their teeth will start falling out as early as
1 year old (unless your dog came from a really bad breeder). I can
heartily recommend Petzlife oral care gel: http://www.petzlife.com.
The hype about the dangers of anesthesia for dentals is a bit over the
top but the stuff really works; I am using it daily on all the dogs'
teeth with visible results. And no, I don't sell it.

You absolutely do *not* want to let an IG eat cat food. IGs can be
prone to seizures which, according to one of my vets, may be caused
(in this breed) by elevation of triglycerides. My older IG has mild
complex partial seizures which have been triggered by cat food binges
and other dietary indiscretions. However, cat food ingestion has not
caused bad breath in my IGs.

Mustang Sally

Old May 28th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Mustang Sally- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much for the info!
Old May 29th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tracey K

wrote:
[...]

This isn't about a IG, but on my poodle list one of the pups had a
baby tooth that hadn't been lost yet or something. He had awful breath
etc. The owner took the corner of a wash cloth and dipped it in
peroxide and rubbed it a couple times a day for a few days. That took
care of the stench. Once he lost the tooth or the permanent took
pushed it out he has been fine.

I love the Petzlife gel and spray. The boys.. well at least they don't
fight me...lol. I will spray an unsuspecting mouth on a bad spot.
They are not very fond of it.

Tracey

Dental Care Tips for Your Dog ashley ross Dog activities 0 August 13th 08 12:08 PM
Dental Care Tips for Your Dog ian allen Dog activities 0 March 10th 08 08:59 AM
Affordable Dental Care Dean Dog health 1 October 9th 07 02:29 PM
dental care for dogs Steve - Connecticut Dog health 18 October 22nd 03 01:40 PM
dental care for dogs Steve - Connecticut Dog health 0 October 20th 03 07:51 PM