Squirrels are evil

Old May 29th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
spot

Default Squirrels are evil

I took Bubba for a walk this morning at 6 on the way home, even feeling
bad and limping on his back leg he still thought he could get a
squirrel. Of course it helps when the squirrel runs "right" under your
nose heading for the telephone pole. He bolted to the pole and ran
around it trying to find where it disappeared to so quickly.

Poor guy he misses out on all of them, even the rabbits in the yard
outsmart him. I've seen him walk out and pee less than 10 feet from a
rabbit and never notice it.

Celeste
Old May 29th 09, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"spot" wrote in message
I took Bubba for a walk this morning at 6 on the way home, even feeling bad
and limping on his back leg he still thought he could get a squirrel. Of
course it helps when the squirrel runs "right" under your nose heading for
the telephone pole. He bolted to the pole and ran around it trying to find
where it disappeared to so quickly.

Poor guy he misses out on all of them, even the rabbits in the yard
outsmart him. I've seen him walk out and pee less than 10 feet from a
rabbit and never notice it.

Celeste

You know, I've spent a bit time lately contemplating this. As Kiba recovers
from his knee surgery, I am very aware of what he's doing at all times,
since he spent the first 6 weeks after the surgery on the end of a leash.
He's not restricted to leash in the house anymore, but he is while outside,
and I think I've decided I hate Spring. Kiba goes right squirrelly with
bugs flitting by his head, and birds yelling from the trees and he gets all
quivery with prey drive by bees. But we were out for a potty break the
other day, and a tiny snake (my *shudder* phobia) moved in front of him. I
hoped and prayed that Kiba wouldn't see it (imagining trying to remove a
snake from gives me the heebies-jeebies), and I was able to steer him away
from it. But it got me to wondering. If his prey drive is so high (as
he's shown) why didn't he see the snake? I am NOT ungrateful he didn't, but
I wonder why? Is it because it's on the ground? He will chase spiders in
the house, but only if you point them out to him. If they stop moving (as
most will when batted by a dog) he loses interest. But a fly? Oh, dear, he
will scan the ceiling for ages, looking for the flying beast that had the
gall to show it's face in his house. Is this because his ancestors were
bird dogs, not ratters or other ground dogs? Would a terrier show more
interest in a snake and leave the flies alone?
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old May 29th 09, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
spot

You know that's kind of interesting.

Brandy did the same thing with a snake once. We were in the yard and I
was waking and spotted a small copperhead. It less than 3 feet from her
and she never noticed, thank god. I managed to get her into the house
and go back out with the shovel and take care of it.

Brandy was a mix of lab, basset & beagle and was all bird dog. She
would stay outside in the woods for hours sitting on a turkey roost
trying to catch one. She never did get a turkey but after a year or so
nabbed herself a grouse. On the same hand this is a dog who would
happily go mousing with my oldest cat. The cat would usually catch the
mouse but Brandy was the one to present it to me. It wasn't unusual to
come home and her meet me at the front door with the tail & back feet of
a mouse hanging out of her mouth. There she was wiggling for all that
was in her and so happy to have caught me one.

Flies weren't a big deal to any of my dogs till Gabby came along
(husky/lab mix). They drive her bonkers and she'll sit intently waiting
for one to get close enough to snap up. She gets about as worked up
over a fly as my youngest cat does.

You have to wonder what goes through their minds sometimes.

Celest
Old May 29th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Phyrie" wrote in message:

If his prey drive is so high (as he's shown) why didn't he see the snake?

Khan, who has as high a prey drive as any dog I've known, also ignores
snakes. He has seen it, but they don't seem to trigger the same sort of
'must kill' response. However, I've known lots of dogs back home that do,
including the Lab that we had growing up. Rajesh has told me about a stray
in his neighborhood that specialized in killing snakes.

But a fly? Oh, dear, he will scan the ceiling for ages, looking for the
flying beast that had the gall to show it's face in his house.

Heh. Large flying insects are the bane of Khan's existence. He is actually
quite good at catching them.

Suja

Old May 29th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Suja wrote:
"Phyrie" wrote in message:

But a fly? Oh, dear, he will scan the ceiling for ages, looking for the
flying beast that had the gall to show it's face in his house.

Once a large, slow moving fly was circling the bedroom. Oppie
was fascinated! We managed to get it out the window, but for
weeks after that, Oppie would sit and stare at the ceiling,
apparently looking for the super-fly.

Heh. Large flying insects are the bane of Khan's existence. He is actually
quite good at catching them.

Dylan's specialty was carpenter bees. They enjoyed tunneling in
the railings on our deck. She'd sit on the deck and study their
movements, and then leap and snap! one less bee.

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old May 29th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 29 May 2009 09:16:35 -0600, FurPaw
wrote:

Dylan's specialty was carpenter bees. They enjoyed tunneling in
the railings on our deck. She'd sit on the deck and study their
movements, and then leap and snap! one less bee.

Good girl! You could probably have leased her out as an "all natural"
exterminatrix. Those carpenter bees can cause a boatload of damage in
an astoundingly short time.

MS
Old May 29th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

Good girl! You could probably have leased her out as an "all natural"
exterminatrix.

That's what I should've done with Khan too. Except he doesn't discriminate
between 'good insects' and 'bad insects'.

BTW, I wanted to tell you that the DGP appears to be working. I started to
notice that he was not walk'npooping anymore, which he has been doing for
months, and the poop hunch was back to where it used to be. He's back to
doing the stairs whenever he feels like it (although he seems to weigh pros
and cons still), and on the last walk, was contemplating telling off the
bikers and joggers about straying onto his turf.

Suja

Old May 29th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sionnach

"Suja" wrote:

BTW, I wanted to tell you that the DGP appears to be working.

I've been thinking I should give DGP a trial for Brenin, and I believe this
cements it. Lately, he gets quite stiff and creaky for several days after
any really strenous activity**, and/or if he falls due to loss of hind-end
strength (muscle loss from being on the LP diet, unfortunately :P) and lands
badly.
Mind you, he only falls like that if he's being an eejit - he's currently
stiff because he lunged off the step after a squirrel & tripped over Cenau's
leash. Mostly he does the dog equivalent of a judo breakfall... goes loose &
rolls with it, getting up none the worse for wear.

**Really strenuous activity, btw = rabbits which insist on committing
suicide by getting into my fenced yard and then forgetting how to get out
when pursued, or deer which suddenly pop up in front of us on the trails.

P.S. - would either Suja or Robin mind re-posting the link for the DGP?

Old May 29th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"sionnach" wrote in message:

I've been thinking I should give DGP a trial for Brenin, and I believe
this cements it.

It's worth a shot, if our results are any indication. And this sort of
question recently popped up on our rescue list, and I was surprised at the
number of people that piped in with good experience with the product.
Khan's got hind end strength issues as well, and it's a vicious circle,
where he doesn't want to use it as much, and then it contributes to more
muscle loss. I know that the reprieve is temporary, but we'll take it.
BTW, I've mentioned Phycox before - I haven't received my order yet, but may
start him on that as well (in consult with the vet of course).

P.S. - would either Suja or Robin mind re-posting the link for the DGP?

http://www.doggonepain.com/

I bought mine at herbspro.com. Pricing comparison he
http://www.nextag.com/American-BioSc...B9E39544F6D35F

Suja

Old May 29th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"Phyrie" wrote in message

"spot" wrote in message
I took Bubba for a walk this morning at 6 on the way home, even feeling
bad and limping on his back leg he still thought he could get a squirrel.
Of course it helps when the squirrel runs "right" under your nose heading
for the telephone pole. He bolted to the pole and ran around it trying to
find where it disappeared to so quickly.

Darling doggie. I wish I could get mine to sit still enough to take some
good pics.
Petey's Mom

[...]

Revenge of the Squirrels Part 2 Sal Dog behavior 0 August 9th 07 12:42 AM
Chasing squirrels lindalee Dog behavior 24 January 25th 06 01:39 AM
eeeeevil squirrels Marie Dog behavior 6 November 13th 04 04:07 AM
Evil Little Brother Slightly Less Evil Rocky Dog behavior 19 August 9th 04 02:07 PM
Save the Squirrels Deb Dog behavior 1 July 11th 03 01:26 AM