quick question on the cone collars

Old July 10th 03, 11:24 PM
jayjay

Default quick question on the cone collars

Does Walmart or someplace else other than Petsmart or Pet supermarket or
vets carry those cone collars?

When Chloe was in last week for the hook - they shaved a spot on her leg in
order to put in a cathetar. Everything was fine until yesterday - she
started licking the shaved spot and ended up licking it raw and bleeding.
I cleaned it, treated it, wrapped it in gause and she kept licking at it.
I finally covered the gauze w/ an ace bandage and she made it through the
night and today. But - she's still digging at the area and trying her
darndest to get the ace bandage off.

I think we are at the point of needing the collar. But, its after 6pm, the
vet is closed and for me to make it to either Petsmart of pet supermarket is
a 2 hr round trip.

Where else (that I might have close by) that is open after 6pm, might have
one of those collars.? Or is there something else I can try to get me
through till 8am tomorrow morning when i can go to the vet?

Old July 11th 03, 01:01 AM
Cate

"jayjay" wrote in message

Where else (that I might have close by) that is open after 6pm, might have
one of those collars.? Or is there something else I can try to get me
through till 8am tomorrow morning when i can go to the vet?

On Emergency Vets they fashioned one for a ferret out of x-ray film. I'd
think that an office supply store or a drugstore might sell some kind of
plastic sheeting that's slightly stiff that you could wrap into a cone. Of
course it will be disguised as something like an easel cover, or report
covers.

Cate

Old July 11th 03, 02:08 AM
MaryBeth

Where else (that I might have close by) that is open after 6pm, might
have
one of those collars.? Or is there something else I can try to get me
through till 8am tomorrow morning when i can go to the vet?

On Emergency Vets they fashioned one for a ferret out of x-ray film. I'd
think that an office supply store or a drugstore might sell some kind of
plastic sheeting that's slightly stiff that you could wrap into a cone. Of
course it will be disguised as something like an easel cover, or report
covers.

Cate

I've read here years ago about using a makeshift collar for them, not shaped
into a cone tho.

Hopefully the ppl that came up with it can read and reply. I believe it was
something like a cloth collar tied i a certain way so that the dog can't get
to the granuloma, and you don't have your poor little pup walking around
with an E-collar on.
The cone would drive Rudy nuts, and he's got a little bit of a lick
granuloma kicking up again, (allergies). We'd gotten rid of the other one
quite easily by spraying biter apple, then a bandage with either Gold Bond
Powder or Thornit, (e-mail me if interested),from the lady in the UK. Works
great for lots of things. It does open sores, the ears, but you have to be
careful how much you use, as if it's too much, (as Zack can avow, if he
could communicate at all G), it turns to a paste, which you then have to
flush out. Either a paste or a flush, and his ear problems were over for a
bit. I always checked about a half hour after applying the Thornit and
that's when I found I'd put too much in. He was fine with it tho, it
alleviated his itchies.
Wasn't until I put him on California Natural Lamb and Rice, Low Cal, that
his ears have been squeeeeeeky clean since.

I would love to find the alternative to the E-collar tho.

I still can't remember, (I always forget !!!), but think it may have been
Dogstar that told us the story of one of their dogs while wearing the
E-collar while recuperating, found it had it's use. The dog had one or two
other dogs in the house, and the one with the collar would *scoop* up all
the 'woobies' in the house and not let the other dogs get them back. Walking
with his head held high and every danged woobie in his crown. LOL
I can still picture that one. And it makes me laugh til tears are running
down my face, everytime. Sssmmmrrrffffthhhtht

MaryBeth

Old July 11th 03, 03:18 AM
Supergoof

"jayjay" wrote ...

Where else (that I might have close by) that is open after 6pm, might have
one of those collars.? Or is there something else I can try to get me
through till 8am tomorrow morning when i can go to the vet?

Do you have a bucket you can modify?

Cut a comfortable neck-sized hole in the bottom and cut right along one
side - you should be able to pull it open enough to get her head through,
and it should close up again pretty well.

Naturally take the handle off first, if it has one!

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 11th 03, 12:55 PM
Cate

"MaryBeth" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I would love to find the alternative to the E-collar tho.

Orson broke the only cone he's ever had to wear (I do not advise putting
cones on blind dogs!), and we were on the way out of town with him for the
holidays. His injury was in his armpit. We were able to keep him from
getting to it by putting a t-shirt on him. The loose fabric was gathered
over his back and held in place with a big ole binder clip.

Cate

Old July 11th 03, 01:13 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"MaryBeth" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

I've read here years ago about using a makeshift collar for them, not
shaped into a cone tho.

I seem to recall something like that.

Some people have used Vics on either side of the wound (only a small
amount) to keep the dog from licking. Keep in mind that some dogs *love*
the taste of Vics Vap-O-Rub. Moogli is one of those. As soon as I opened
the jar, he tried to shove his nose in it.

I also seem top remember diddy making a makeshift cone with a bath towel
wrapped (not too tightly) around the neck so as to prevent the head from
turning taht far back.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Dain Bramaged.'

Old July 11th 03, 02:30 PM
Gwen Watson

Cate wrote:

"MaryBeth" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I would love to find the alternative to the E-collar tho.

Orson broke the only cone he's ever had to wear (I do not advise putting
cones on blind dogs!), and we were on the way out of town with him for the
holidays. His injury was in his armpit. We were able to keep him from
getting to it by putting a t-shirt on him. The loose fabric was gathered
over his back and held in place with a big ole binder clip.

Cate

Now that is great idea. Often times dogs seem to really be bothered
by the cones. I am glad the T-shirt worked so well. I am going
to keep that one in my memory bank for safe keeping.

Gwen

Old July 11th 03, 02:36 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Marcel Beaudoin wrote in
. 1.4:

I also seem top remember diddy making a makeshift cone with a bath
towel wrapped (not too tightly) around the neck so as to prevent the
head from turning taht far back.

Ah-hah. Found it.

http://tinyurl.com/gn24

Quoted below...

From: diddy )
Subject: Wylie is home
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2003-03-05 06:28:10 PST

Suja wrote:

Shelly wrote:

Poor Coda, he had to wear a Party Hat also.
Do you know how difficult it is to fit a dog that is all nose
with a e-collar long enough to 1) fit into his crate (he didn't
want to stay quiet OR calm!) and 2) that his nose didn't
stick out the end & still be able to get at his stitches.

Dang it, I can't remember the thing of this other collar that serves
the same purpose as the E-Collar with none of its cone headedness. My
friend with her super allergic dog uses it when she wants him to
leave his boo-boos alone long enough that they would heal.

Oh wait, I found it: http://www.bitenot.com/

Suja

I've made my own on occassion. I took plastic, wrapped it in a towel and
duct taped it on. Much cheaper, easy to make.

End of Quote

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Dain Bramaged.'

Old July 11th 03, 03:06 PM
Gwen Watson

Cate wrote:

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

Now that is great idea. Often times dogs seem to really be bothered
by the cones. I am glad the T-shirt worked so well. I am going
to keep that one in my memory bank for safe keeping.

DH thought of it (and never lets me forget it). And wherever possible, I'll
always use a t-shirt instead of a cone.

Cate

Well what would you use on a dog with some blister/sore on his
butt? I ask this because a friend of mine recently had this
with her BF's ACD. They duct taped a diaper on Blue.

Gwen

Old July 11th 03, 03:24 PM
Cate

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

Well what would you use on a dog with some blister/sore on his
butt?

No idea. Maybe Diddy's towel around the neck idea. I like that. Gotta be
more comfortable than a cone.

Cate