Furminator use

Old June 8th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Default Furminator use

12 year old Brittany, still feisty. On Canidae ALS and various suppliments
(salmon oil, vit. e, Missing Link).

As far as I know, her coat is healthy, but it looks a mess (curly,
dry-looking) probably because I groom her myself with an elec. clipper
(like barbers use) and I'm not incredibly adept. Shedding is a problem.

So, after reading many favorable reviews, etc, I get a medium
Furminator, hoping that'll help. I carefully draw it across her coat
and get a tiny ball of fur off her. I clean it off and repeat. It
would take a long, long time to do the whole dog. I'm afraid to increase
the pressure a lot, afraid it will cause pain.

Are there some dogs for which Furminator use is not practical? Are
there special approaches to use for certain dogs with certain coat
characteristics? Any hints, tricks, etc to usage?

Thanks,
Will
Old June 8th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message:

Are there some dogs for which Furminator use is not practical?

It has been my experience that there is no single brush that is good for all
dogs. I have one dog that the Furminator absolutely does not work on.

there special approaches to use for certain dogs with certain coat
characteristics?

Khan's coat is dense and coarse. I use a slicker, a rake and line comb him
once in a while.

Suja

Old June 8th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
spot

I have a lab/husky mix and the best thing for her is a wide toothed comb
first then I use a rake on her. There is no way I could ever get a
fuminator through her hair.

Now my shepard/collie mix the fuminator works great for her.

Celeste
Old June 9th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty[_2_]

[...]

I love my furminator - I have a lab. I have also seen great results on
a weim, greyhound (those were a surprise to me) and a long haired GSD

I just brush and brush (OUTSIDE!!!) and let the fur fly where it may -
the birds love it. Atty loves it. I learned the hard way that yellow
lab fur, furminator, and hunter green carpet don't match.

At the first sign of "boot scooting" ( anal glands need cleaned) I
grab the furminator, head outside, and furminate near the tail. (I also
learned the hard way that furminating near the tail/haunches on the
couch is NOT advised!!!!)

Sue and Atty

Old June 10th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Thanks for numerous responses. Looks like my pooch is not well suited
for Furminator.

I'll give it 1 more try (right next to the Shop-Vac), but I suspect
the Furminator will grace Craigslist for a while and likely get
handed to a friend eventually.

Cheers,
Will