Adventures with Cenau; or, our second ever agility competition

Old June 16th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
sionnach

Default Adventures with Cenau; or, our second ever agility competition

Cenau's second agility competition was this past weekend.. reportage
follows:

First, I have to talk about Brenin... my first agility dog, who was 14 in
February. Bren's getting a mite creaky these days due to a touch of
arthritis + some muscle loss due to being on a restricted protien diet. He's
also getting hard of hearing, and doesn't see quite as well as he used to.
But when I take him out of the car at agility practice, he promptly DRAGS me
towards the field... so we still let him play, skipping contacts for the
most part and cutting the runs a bit short.
At trials, he does ONLY Jumpers, at the reduced height of 12" - in his
early days, he jumped 30"/26" in USDAA, and 24" in NADAC - Hoopers, and
sometimes Tunnelers; I cut the runs short if he starts to look like he's not
enjoying himself, or if I think he's getting too tired.
This weekend, he smiled his way to the end of both Elite Jumpers courses,
missing time by less than 2 seconds. He also would have *qualified* in
Hoopers.... except that when it was time to leave, he took off in the
opposite direction, and ran halfway across the ring, deliberately doing
every hoop in his path - thereby ending up over time. :-D
Crazy old coot! I hope I'm crazy that way when I'm a comparable age...

And now, on to the junior dog:

Cenau started the weekend off with a bang - literally. We did his first
trial at the same site; he knew where he was and what was up, and was
clearly happy to be there. First class was Weavers...

He took 1.5 obstacles (did a tunnel, blew by the weaves), turned around,
bolted at full speed for the ring exit, and attempted to jump THROUGH the
heavy wooden accordian-style ring gating. Probably would have made it, too,
if it hadn't been slightly collapsed... as it was, he got hung up, knocking
it back about 6 feet with an almighty bang, then tried to keep going with it
stuck around his middle, moving it several more feet before he wriggled
free.
A friend scooped him up & handed him to me when I got there moments later.

Cen was a bit stunned on the mental level immediately afterwards, but none
the worse for wear physically other than slightly scratching up his armpits.
I didn't make a fuss of him - neither scolding nor sympathy, other than
saying "Well THAT'll larn ya!" as I quickly checked him over - just popped
him in his crate & took Brenin outside for a few minutes. When I came back
in, Cen scratched frantically at his crate door and insisted he needed to go
out; I took him outside and he pooped almost immediately.

He'd been out in the yard for 10 minutes before we left, I'd walked both of
them for more then 5 minutes when we got there, AND I'd taken him out before
the run; but apparently excitement about being there, and sniffing all the
rabbit smells and smells of other dogs, took precedence over paying
attention to bodily needs... until he got into the ring.
Typical terrier twit!

If the death-defying leap-into-ring-gating had made it onto film, I'd put it
up as a "blooper", but all that got taped was him bolting towards the
camera, then the taper's feet hurrying across the floor towards the crash
site. :-)

Things went very much UP hill after that, however. We had a bit of trouble
with dogwalk/tunnel discrimination in the next 2 runs (Touch and Go and the
first round of Regular), but he qualified in the second round of Regular, in
Chances, and in Jumpers - with the Jumpers run completing his Novice title
for that class. He also took 3rd in that Regular run (his contacts are
slower than some, which is by my choice) and 1st in Jumpers.

The second day went even better. We had the same too-excited-to-poop issue
in the morning, but I managed to get him to pay attention to bodily needs
BEFORE his first run this time. It was a bit of a wahoo run - he was going
so fast and so enthusiastically that he overshot two jumps and took two
incorrect ones - but he stayed connected and working with me the entire run.
I think we got the highest number of course faults in the trial on that
one... 100. :-D
The remaining 5 runs of the day (Chances, 2 Regular, Hoopers, and
Tunnelers) were drop-dead lovely; he had NO faults in any, although I E'd us
in one of the Regular runs by training the start line, and in the other I
accidentally called him off a jump & he decided to stare at the judge while
going down the A-frame, resulting in a veeeeeery sloooooooow descent.
Despite that, he qualifed and earned his Novice title.

And his Chances run just stunned me... it was literally *perfect*,
including a "switch" out to a jump on the other side of the distance line,
and a high-speed angled turn to the weaves (which had done in a lot of other
teams).

Overall - he never tried to leave the ring again. We had NO hunting for
MICE! although he did take a hard look at the goalie hole on one run. He hit
every set of weave poles at speed, with no bobbles. On at least one run, we
had moments where I was handling from 15-20 feet away...
Sum total for the weekend, 7 Q's out of 12 runs, four first and a third
place, and two titles completed.
An outstanding performance for any green dog, and just mind-blowing for a
dog who was adopted from a shelter exactly 10 months ago and had no training
of any sort (other than having been inadvertently trained to run away).

Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming....

Oh yes: video of 7 of Cen's runs (some Qs, some NQs, one E), and one of
Bren's Jumpers runs, are up at http://www.youtube.com/cimawr
If you only look at one or two of Cen's, definitely look at the Chances run!
:-)

Sarah (still on cloud 9)
NATCH-2 Brenin, Triple Triple Superior, EJC-400, TG-E, TN-E, O-EJS,
ECS,O-TGS-E ... mostly retired Old Man
Cenau Goch, NJC, NAC

gone, but never forgotten...
Vers-NATCH, NATCH-3 Morag Thistledown, Triple Versatility, Triple Triple
Superior, S-TN-E, O-TG-E, O-WV-E, ECC-400, EJC-500, EAC-700
Rocsi Cadarn, Novice & Open Triple Superiors, EAC, S-EJC, WV-E, O-TG-E,
S-TN-E; O-GTG, AG-I, AG-II, Jumpers Winner 2003 and 2005 JRTCA Nationals

Old June 16th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
Nessa

On Jun 16, 1:15*pm, "sionnach" wrote:
Sarah (still on cloud 9)
NATCH-2 Brenin, Triple Triple Superior, EJC-400, TG-E, TN-E, O-EJS,
ECS,O-TGS-E ... mostly retired Old Man
Cenau Goch, NJC, NAC

Alright! Bren and Cen!
Old June 18th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
William Clodius[_2_]

sionnach wrote:

[...]

We all seem to have a good start on it.

And now, on to the junior dog:
snip
Overall - he never tried to leave the ring again. We had NO hunting for
MICE! although he did take a hard look at the goalie hole on one run. He hit
every set of weave poles at speed, with no bobbles. On at least one run, we
had moments where I was handling from 15-20 feet away...
Sum total for the weekend, 7 Q's out of 12 runs, four first and a third
place, and two titles completed.
An outstanding performance for any green dog, and just mind-blowing for a
dog who was adopted from a shelter exactly 10 months ago and had no training
of any sort (other than having been inadvertently trained to run away).

Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming....

Oh yes: video of 7 of Cen's runs (some Qs, some NQs, one E), and one of
Bren's Jumpers runs, are up at http://www.youtube.com/cimawr
If you only look at one or two of Cen's, definitely look at the Chances run!
:-)snip

Looking great.

--
Bill Clodius