Client with pack behavior problem

Old July 11th 03, 06:41 PM
Lynn K.

Default Client with pack behavior problem

"Cate" wrote in message news:

I'm interested to see what response you get, because Orson has recently
started barking when we leave the house.

One of the things that makes the client's dog
so interesting is that he has no SA or confinement issues and is not a
nuisance barker
at all. He's fine if everyone leaves and has no
problem being alone. It's just that if he is
with 1 or more people and/or dogs, he wants everyone to stay together.
His barking isn't
anxious. It's as if he's saying "Hey You! Get
back over here with us!".

I'm used to very subtle dogs that casually
manipulate people into a physical grouping, but
have never seen one that is so verbal about it :-)

Lynn K.
Old July 14th 03, 10:24 PM
Cate

"Lynn K." wrote in message
om...
"Cate" wrote in message news:

I'm interested to see what response you get, because Orson has recently
started barking when we leave the house.

[Just now seeing this.]

One of the things that makes the client's dog
so interesting is that he has no SA or confinement issues and is not a
nuisance barker
at all. He's fine if everyone leaves and has no
problem being alone. It's just that if he is
with 1 or more people and/or dogs, he wants everyone to stay together.
His barking isn't
anxious. It's as if he's saying "Hey You! Get
back over here with us!".

Well, I'm an expert on only one dog, as opposed to you, but I think this is
what Orson's doing too. He's not an anxious dog either, but I don't know if
he'd be considered a nuisance barker or not: He's a territorial barker.
Makes noise only when he hears people he (I think) perceives as too close to
his territory. Doesn't bark at the wind, or at random noises, or out of
boredom.

So this new behavior of his barking when we leave is really interesting.
It's not a whiny 'Why are you leaving me?' or an anxious 'I don't want to be
alone!' but rather a 'Hey--you're breaking the rules! One for all and all
for one!'

I'm used to very subtle dogs that casually
manipulate people into a physical grouping, but
have never seen one that is so verbal about it :-)

Heh. Well, subtlety is not Orson's thing. He's such an open book.

Cate