What's the best food for your Dog?

Old June 28th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
lovedemdogs[_2_]

Default What's the best food for your Dog?

Hi,

I am a new dog owner and would really love to find out what's the best
food or type of food
for my beautiful dog.

Thanks!
Old June 28th 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

I am a new dog owner and would really love to find out what's the best
food or type of food
for my beautiful dog.

Please, Char, spend as much time on this thread as possible. In fact, spend
all of your time here.

Old June 28th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

lovedemdogs wrote:
Hi,

I am a new dog owner and would really love to find out what's the best
food or type of food
for my beautiful dog.

Thanks!

The best food for dogs is what their digestive systems were meant to eat.

Meat, bones and organ meats, raw if at all possible, cooked if not.

Anything is better than kibble.
Old June 28th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
Anything is better than kibble.

Hey, "lovedemdogs," chard is an extremist crank who doesn't
understand nutrition basics and gives advice that can kill
your dog.

Old June 28th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil L

chardonnay9 wrote:
lovedemdogs wrote:
Hi,

I am a new dog owner and would really love to find out what's the
best food or type of food
for my beautiful dog.

Thanks!

The best food for dogs is what their digestive systems were meant to
eat.
Meat, bones and organ meats, raw if at all possible, cooked if not.

Anything is better than kibble.

No large animals live on meat alone.
Even lions and tigers make a bee-line for their prey's digestive system,
which is normally full of hay, roots, leaves and other vegetation, as do
wolves, which I presume you are making your assumptions on.
Snakes eat their prey whole, and reptile keepers feed their feeder mice and
rats with wholegrains, veg and cereals etc prior to them becoming a meal
themselves so that their reps get a proper nutritious diet.

Even dinosaurs usually ate the whole prey, or if not, they too ate their
prey's digestive system

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old June 29th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Phil L wrote:
chardonnay9 wrote:
lovedemdogs wrote:
Hi,

I am a new dog owner and would really love to find out what's the
best food or type of food
for my beautiful dog.

Thanks!

The best food for dogs is what their digestive systems were meant to
eat.
Meat, bones and organ meats, raw if at all possible, cooked if not.

Anything is better than kibble.

No large animals live on meat alone.

Uh, sure they do. They are called carnivores. I'm sure it was mentioned
in elementary school a few times??

Even lions and tigers make a bee-line for their prey's digestive system,
which is normally full of hay, roots, leaves and other vegetation, as do
wolves, which I presume you are making your assumptions on.

Are you sure of that? Cuz it's not true.

There is a study on wolves that show they ate elk primarily and that
stomachs were shaken out before eating. Only during tough times do they
settle for real small prey, and only then do they eat the stomach contents.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/136/7/1923S

Old June 29th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
Uh, sure they do. They are called carnivores. I'm sure it was mentioned
in elementary school a few times??

Eating meat does not exclude eating anything else. Humans
are carnivores, and so are hogs. Both eat plenty of plant
material. Both need plenty of plant material.

Old June 29th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil L

chardonnay9 wrote:
Phil L wrote:
chardonnay9 wrote:
lovedemdogs wrote:
Hi,

I am a new dog owner and would really love to find out what's the
best food or type of food
for my beautiful dog.

Thanks!
The best food for dogs is what their digestive systems were meant to
eat.
Meat, bones and organ meats, raw if at all possible, cooked if not.

Anything is better than kibble.

No large animals live on meat alone.

Uh, sure they do. They are called carnivores. I'm sure it was
mentioned in elementary school a few times??

Yes, carnivorous means meat eater, but if you feed any meat eater nothing
but meat, it will eventually starve to death, people have tried feeding
reptiles on nothing but meat and offal because they disagree about the furry
animals thing, but they have killed their pets instead

Even lions and tigers make a bee-line for their prey's digestive
system, which is normally full of hay, roots, leaves and other
vegetation, as do wolves, which I presume you are making your
assumptions on.

Are you sure of that? Cuz it's not true.

It is true, and the 'lions share', meaning what the pride leader gets,
before any of the cubs or females get, is just this - the entrails, the most
nutritious part of the kill, which may be responsible for the high mortality
rates of lion cubs.

There is a study on wolves that show they ate elk primarily and that
stomachs were shaken out before eating. Only during tough times do
they settle for real small prey, and only then do they eat the
stomach contents.

They may not eat the entire contents of the stomach of an elk, which I admit
may be several dozen pounds, but they inevitably get some of it, and all of
it where squirrels, voles and birds are concerned

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/136/7/1923S

sixth line down in that link:

Summer scat analysis reveals an increased variety in diet compared with
observed winter diets, including other ungulate species, rodents, and
vegetation.

note the words, 'variety' and 'vegetation'

Old June 29th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kat

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
chardonnay9 wrote:
Uh, sure they do. They are called carnivores. I'm sure it was mentioned
in elementary school a few times??

Eating meat does not exclude eating anything else. Humans
are carnivores, and so are hogs. Both eat plenty of plant
material. Both need plenty of plant material.

Some would even say humans do best with a diet primarily made up of plant
material and little meat.

Kathy

Old June 29th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article utertechnology,
kat wrote:
Some would even say humans do best with a diet primarily made up of plant
material and little meat.

Right. And not to imply nothin' or nothin', but
carbohydrates are the primary energy source for the brain.

I don't think anybody would seriously claim that bears
aren't carnivorous but they're major berry foragers.