Dog eating rubbish in bins HELP

Old July 11th 03, 07:22 PM
Musicalman81

Default Dog eating rubbish in bins HELP

Hi my dog keeps on eating the rubbish out of the bins. There is food in his
bowl all the time and plenty of water. What i think is the problem is that a
couple of weeks ago people moved in next door to me and they brought a real
messy dog which is dirty, and barks all the time. I think this dog has given my
dog bad habbits. does anybody know how to stop hime from going into the bins
appart from putting the bin on the table.

Thank you

Old July 12th 03, 07:42 AM
Katra

Musicalman81 wrote:

Hi my dog keeps on eating the rubbish out of the bins. There is food in his
bowl all the time and plenty of water. What i think is the problem is that a
couple of weeks ago people moved in next door to me and they brought a real
messy dog which is dirty, and barks all the time. I think this dog has given my
dog bad habbits. does anybody know how to stop hime from going into the bins
appart from putting the bin on the table.

Thank you

Put the bin in a closed cabinet...
It makes for a cleaner kitchen anyway.

Me, I don't put any "edible" garbage in the trash anyway as it stinks
and makes for a messy garbage can. It also attracts roaches and ants. I
have a small bucket on the kitchen sink that I put all food scraps in
to, and that gets dumped into the compost heap in the chicken pen on a
daily basis.

Any meat wrappers or packages go right out to the dumpster outside.
Basically, there is nothing in my rubbish bin to attract cats or dogs....

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^
^,,^

Breast Implants are the Stupidest idea ever. If I wanted to fondle
$10,000.oo worth of Silicon, I'd buy a new computer! --Anon.

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old July 14th 03, 03:47 AM
Supergoof

"Katra" wrote ...
Musicalman81 wrote:

[...]

We didn't used to have a cupboard suitable to put the bin in, so we used to
make sure nothing edible went in it, and also I took to putting a weight on
the lid (it's a pedal bin with a flat top) so that Murphy couldn't get into
it. Guarantee the rare occasions that we forgot to put the weight back on
the lid we'd come home to rubbish strewn all over the kitchen and the dog
would have a nasty tummy for a couple of days. Not sure why she started
doing it recently, she was fine for the first 10 years of her life -
personally I think her sister taught her that trick when she came to stay.
Murphy's very sweet but not overly bright, so probably hadn't worked out
that she could get into the bin and needed someone to show her )

In our new house we have the perfect cupboard to put the bin in, so there's
no problem any more.

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Help: dog not eating and other strange behaviour borris Dog health 4 August 29th 04 04:27 PM
Best eating? Child Dog breeds 3 December 8th 03 02:01 PM
Eating Dogs? What the hell? New DeLucia Dog health 2 October 23rd 03 09:42 AM
Grass Eating Cure ... Bichon.ca Dog health 0 August 20th 03 04:25 PM