What's a crossover in Agility?

Old July 11th 03, 07:32 PM
Gwen Watson

Default What's a crossover in Agility?

What's a crossover in Agility?

This came from my agility mailing list.

The editorial in the July Clean Run gave a very good case for the
official
abandonment of the crossover in USDAA and that
also is one of
the new
changes. I've only seen a crossover once (T.C. has
one) and I'm
glad we
won't ever be seeing it in competition

Gwen

Old July 11th 03, 07:38 PM
Rocky

Gwen Watson said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What's a crossover in Agility?

It's like 2 crossed dog walks:
http://www.paw-z-tracks.com/usa/cont...rossover.shtml

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 11th 03, 07:40 PM
Gwen Watson

Rocky wrote:

Gwen Watson said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What's a crossover in Agility?

It's like 2 crossed dog walks:
http://www.paw-z-tracks.com/usa/cont...rossover.shtml

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Wow, thanks Matt.

How would one go about running one of those?

Thankfully it looks like it won't be used around here.

Strange looking for sure.

Gwen

Old July 11th 03, 07:59 PM
Christy

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

How would one go about running one of those?

Thankfully it looks like it won't be used around here.

Strange looking for sure.

Its gone, at least in the US. The only organization that ever used it was
USDAA, and in their recent rule changes, they have retired it.

Christy

Old July 11th 03, 08:04 PM
Elizabeth

"Rocky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Gwen Watson said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How would one go about running one of those?

In the AAC, at the 2 lower levels (Starters and Advanced), the
dog's path can't go straight across - it must make a 90 degree
turn. At the Master's level, the handler should be able to work
the dog at a distance so straight accross is OK.

The first time I ever encountered a crossover was at a trial
with Rocky. We did just fine even though he'd never been on one
before. I treated it just like a dogwalk, but gave a "Table"
command at the top so that he'd stop, then I called him down
through the turn.

There's lots of room at the cross - it's 3'x3', the size of a
table.

Thankfully it looks like it won't be used around here.

That reminds me, the club I'm trialing at in a week will be
using a crossover in one ring, and Friday's never seen one. I'm
going to have to dig up that Clean Run issue and read the
editorial 'cause I don't think they're dangerous at all.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

The trick is to send the dog over and to let it go straight forward while
you have to run around one of the side legs to get to the other side.. so
the dog is very tempted when he gets at the top to take the leg which you
run around of..because he reacts to where you are going.
(sorry if this is not good english lol as you can geuss it's not my native
language so forgive me my mistakes in grammar ok?)

Old July 11th 03, 08:33 PM
Christy

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

Christy one of your dogs ever do a trial with one? They really do
look quite bizarre. Matt assures me they aren't evil. ))

No, it wasn't used in the few USDAA trials I've done. I did a practice on
one, though. It was set up with just THREE legs, which I thought was very
stupid, because a dog that had never seen one before could have easily flown
right off the side. With 4 legs, I don't think they are evil, just not a
very useful obstacle. They take up too much space (which is why they ended
up being phased out) and don't really serve any unique purpose - agility is
already a test of getting your dog to go in the right direction, so why the
need to test the dog's ability to do that a few feet above the ground?

Christy

Old July 12th 03, 05:45 AM
Robin Nuttall

"Rocky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

That reminds me, the club I'm trialing at in a week will be
using a crossover in one ring, and Friday's never seen one. I'm
going to have to dig up that Clean Run issue and read the
editorial 'cause I don't think they're dangerous at all.

There were a couple of points to it--rather valid ones I thought. Here in
the U.S. they're rare to nonexistent. At the same time, many of us are
training our dogs to fly across the DW at top speed and do a stop at the
bottom.

Her point was that for a dog trained to actually run across the dogwalk at
top speed and stop at the bottom, the crossover can a) totally mess up their
training and b) be dangerous, in that the dog may skid and fly off the thing
trying to make a turn. In effect, the dog gets punished for doing what in
most circumstances is a desired behavior.

Since they're illegal in all venues in the U.S. except USDAA, and extremely
rarely seen there, and since very few training facilities own one or have
room for one, they seem to be an archaic piece of equipment that should go
away, kind of like the window jump. I believe the new USDAA rules may do
away with them.

Old July 12th 03, 05:53 PM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Since they're illegal in all venues in the U.S. except
USDAA, and extremely rarely seen there, and since very few
training facilities own one or have room for one, they seem
to be an archaic piece of equipment that should go away,
kind of like the window jump. I believe the new USDAA rules
may do away with them.

Interesting. I expect that the AAC will follow along. If the
USDAA does do away with crossovers, how will it be implemented?
Will there be a grandfather clause for those clubs which own
one? It's a significant investment for a non-profit club.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 12th 03, 10:22 PM
Robin Nuttall

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

No, I don't think so, and I believe it's done--crossovers are no more. I
think it's one of those things that you have to shrug your shoulders and
accept. AKC doensn't allow the 8 foot dogwalk any more.

Oops, Mistype. The AKC dosn't allow the 8 foot AFRAME any more. The 8 foot
dogwalk is still an accepted piece of equipment.

NADAC doesn't want
slats on equipment. I myself think that the major U.S. venues should get
together and standardize some things such as weave pole spacing, slat
configurations, equipment specs, etc. It would save clubs lots of money

and
lead to better and safer venues for the dogs. For instance, I won't do the
USDAA Championship program because I don't want to put my dog on a 6'3"
aframe. They're used to 5'6", and that extra 9" is a lot. I'd also like

jump
heights standardized, and for USDAA to fall more in line with AKC's specs,
which are about the fairest ones out there. It's actually not a huge deal
for me--my dogs can jump26", but it's ludicrous for a 12.25" dog to have

jump 16", especially since a lot of breeds falling at that height tend to

be
ones that are long backed--Corgis, Vallhunds, etc.

Oh and another pet peeve--standardize the contact areas, and make all up
contacts optional. I've never seen a dog injured from not getting an up
contact.

Old July 13th 03, 02:49 AM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

For instance, I won't do the
USDAA Championship program because I don't want to put my
dog on a 6'3" aframe. They're used to 5'6", and that extra
9" is a lot.

There's been a fair bit of discussion on the AAC list about
Aframe heights - mini vs. open etc. Many handlers of small dogs
think that the 6'3" Aframe should be gone, but very few handlers
of open (greater than 16") dogs agree. I'm one of the few.

Friday has no problem scaling the tall aframe, though neither
did Rocky - I moved him to Specials/Performance because of the
26" jump height. But Rocky's not as fast as Friday. Fast and
tall dogs have to break stride and hit that 45 degree wall hard.
This can't be good.

Does anyone know of any studies that have been done on this?

Anyway, I'd be just as happy if the Aframe up contact was done
away with instead of dropping the height.

I'd also like jump heights standardized, and
for USDAA to fall more in line with AKC's specs, which are
about the fairest ones out there. It's actually not a huge
deal for me--my dogs can jump26", but it's ludicrous for a
12.25" dog to have to jump 16", especially since a lot of
breeds falling at that height tend to be ones that are long
backed--Corgis, Vallhunds, etc.

Heh. 21.00000" Friday has to jump 26", so he'd be competing
against your Dobes.

The Specials class is losing its stigma in the AAC. Many many
dogs with jumping and climbing issues are moving to the Specials
class and it has become way more competitive over the last few
years.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Agility Drop-Ins for Summer K9Care Dog activities 0 April 6th 04 06:56 PM
agility John/Lisa Dog activities 13 March 27th 04 06:06 PM
Delaware Ohio KC AKC Agility Trial - April 17/18 - Wilmington, OH Lisa Baird Dog activities 0 January 12th 04 10:42 PM
1 Day Left to Enroll in the 2003 Texas Iron Dogs Camp Andrew Mouser Dog activities 0 October 14th 03 12:12 AM
Savannah GA Agility ClippoPuppet Dog activities 4 July 29th 03 01:03 PM