Mesh Tents

Old July 12th 03, 03:15 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Default Mesh Tents

I know that I'm going to be buying one in the near future,
and Stafford brought it up as well on another thread.

I am wondering which ones people have had good
luck with, bad luck, and just plain wouldn't buy again.
I'm looking at the "It's a Breeze Too" (I think that's the
square one?). The price is reasonable, it's listed
as fairly lightweight, and is said to be easy to put up
& take down.
I plan to mostly use it for agility/herding events in the
future, and just want something lighter than what I've
got. Neither dog is an escape artist, so I'm not too
terribly worried about that. But, I know I've seen a
couple of times where dogs have basically pawed the
zipper open & gotten out.
Any advice welcome!
Shelly & The Boys

--
http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/BSD.html

Old July 12th 03, 12:53 PM
Krishur

I have the It's a Breeze crate (rounded top) and am not entirely pleased
with it. The PVC wires that hold the frame together frequently come undone
(no biggie really) but the wires that run along the ground seem to be
uncomfortable for Kali if I don't put a pad down. The rods that slide into
sleeves to hold it open often get stuck and if put in backward can break
requiring you to inch out the piece that gets stuck and pull the bungee cord
back through and re-knot it--you'll only make that mistake once!

Next time I'm getting the It's a Breeze Too or Cabana Crate. Both have
aluminum bars that fold up and out which never seem to give people any
problems, NTM it has a nice shoulder strap and no wires running on the
bottom so no pad is needed. The only issue I have with the Cabana Crate is
I've never seen a light colored one and worry about heat when it's necessary
to put it in the sun.

Good luck with your choice, please put a review up when you get yours.

--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

Old July 12th 03, 06:07 PM
Rocky

Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Especially since I finally
broke down and bought a Mars Coat-King. While it's very
nice, it was also a costly little tool.

Isn't it? Rocky weighs about 2 pounds less after I used it on
him last night. I really wish that I had bought a wider model,
though I like the blade spacing of my 12 blade Coat King.

Old July 12th 03, 06:53 PM
Rocky

sighthounds etc. said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I've visited some web sites looking at these and I'm a bit
confused. Are these for thinning coats on coated breeds
such as Aussies, Collies, GRs?

Mine works really well on aussie Rocky's heavy undercoat, and
strips a modest amount of the top coat. It works reasonably
well on Friday, who's lighter coat is much like a Borzoi, I
think.

Would they be useful in
removing undercoat on Siberians (help, I'm drowning)? A
little thinning action on my Borzoi?

My Coat King didn't do a thing for Murphy, whose coat was very
similar to a Husky's. (Do Huskies have undercoats? I can't
recall.) A cheap shedding blade worked best on her.

Don't suppose there's
any chance that the same model would work well on both
those breeds? You guys really like them, huh?

For your Borzoi, I'd look into one of the finer bladed Coat
Kings.

If you can dig up Toni's email address, she'd be the expert.

Old July 12th 03, 11:00 PM
sighthounds etc.

On 12 Jul 2003 17:53:03 GMT, Rocky wrote:

sighthounds etc. said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I've visited some web sites looking at these and I'm a bit
confused. Are these for thinning coats on coated breeds
such as Aussies, Collies, GRs?

Mine works really well on aussie Rocky's heavy undercoat, and
strips a modest amount of the top coat. It works reasonably
well on Friday, who's lighter coat is much like a Borzoi, I
think.

Would they be useful in
removing undercoat on Siberians (help, I'm drowning)? A
little thinning action on my Borzoi?

My Coat King didn't do a thing for Murphy, whose coat was very
similar to a Husky's. (Do Huskies have undercoats? I can't
recall.) A cheap shedding blade worked best on her.

Huskies Are Undercoats. Shedding blades don't do much for mine.
Undercoat rakes help, but not when they're blowing.

Don't suppose there's
any chance that the same model would work well on both
those breeds? You guys really like them, huh?

For your Borzoi, I'd look into one of the finer bladed Coat
Kings.

The web site recommends three different models for both Siberians and
Borzoi, but at their prices, that ain't gonna happen. There was one
model on both lists, so I thought I'd try that one. It's a medium
with 10 blades.

Mustang Sally

Old July 13th 03, 12:59 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Especially since I finally
broke down and bought a Mars Coat-King. While it's very
nice, it was also a costly little tool.

Isn't it? Rocky weighs about 2 pounds less after I used it on
him last night. I really wish that I had bought a wider model,
though I like the blade spacing of my 12 blade Coat King.

I got the 10 blade, since I really don't want to remove too much,
just tidy up his britches, and probably his sides a bit when he's
a little older. I bought mine online, through an affiliate link
for the BSCA health fund, because I'd priced them at a show
last month & the vendor was outrageously high. Well, today
I checked a different vendor, and his prices were $2.00 less
than what I paid for the tool & shipping. Oh well, I'm just
glad I finally ordered one!
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 13th 03, 01:05 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
sighthounds etc. said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Would they be useful in
removing undercoat on Siberians (help, I'm drowning)? A
little thinning action on my Borzoi?

My Coat King didn't do a thing for Murphy, whose coat was very
similar to a Husky's. (Do Huskies have undercoats? I can't
recall.) A cheap shedding blade worked best on her.

Are Huskies considered a "stock hair" breed? I think that's
the term they use for GSDs, and recommended either the
10 or 12 blade for them & Malinois.
While Jemar pet products isn't the least expensive place online,
they do have a nice "Breed Recommendation" usage guide.
The best prices I found were at PetEdge (but only if you
buy something else to push the price over $50.00 to avoid
the $5.00something surcharge, or at JB Wholesale. I bought
a 10 blade there & it was $44.00something w/ shipping. I
saw it today at The 3-C's (a big show vendor, sort of like Cherrybrook?)
for $42.00.

Shelly & The Boys

Old July 13th 03, 02:36 AM
dogsnus

Rocky wrote in

snip
(Do Huskies have undercoats? I can't
recall.)

Chuckle...
YES!
Kind of like a GSD.

Huskies, Sibes and GSD put the 'U' in
undercoat.

Terri
Old July 13th 03, 02:59 AM
Bethgsd

Shelly wrote about Mesh Crates:

I am wondering which ones people have had good
luck with, bad luck, and just plain wouldn't buy again.

I've had the old tent crates that had the big honking pieces of PVC in them. I
don't think they make them any longer and I can see why.
Now I have both a Homestretch Crate and an It's a Breeze Too crate. The
Homestretch is nice, but it was double the price of the It's a Breeze Too. It
is also more ackward to move around with the size I have. I love my IaBTC. It
was reasonable in price, is easy to carry, sets up easily, the zipper hasn't
given me any trouble and the boys stay in it. (Trip let himself out of the
Homestretch once.)
Beth
Old July 13th 03, 02:59 AM
Rocky

sighthounds etc. said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My Coat King didn't do a thing for Murphy, whose coat was
very similar to a Husky's. (Do Huskies have undercoats? I
can't recall.) A cheap shedding blade worked best on her.

Huskies Are Undercoats. Shedding blades don't do much for
mine. Undercoat rakes help, but not when they're blowing.

Murphy didn't have an undercoat, but she certainly blew coat.
Four times a year in this climate.

The web site recommends three different models for both
Siberians and Borzoi, but at their prices, that ain't gonna
happen. There was one model on both lists, so I thought
I'd try that one. It's a medium with 10 blades.

That's probably a good choice. I use a 12 blade original model
on Rocky. It works well, though sometimes I wish it was wider.