Why do dogs eat grass?

Old July 10th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SS

Default Why do dogs eat grass?

Why do dogs eat grass?

Old July 11th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"SS" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It tastes good.

Old July 11th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:39:25 +0100, "SS"
wrote:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It's a habit that some breeds picked up from guarding sheep. They then
passed it on to their other kin.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Old July 11th 09, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Rocky wrote:
"SS" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It tastes good.

Must be. I doubt the conventional wisdom that they do it (only)
because their tummies are upset. Oppie loved to graze,
especially on new shoots, and only once or twice did I see him
puke afterwards. Molly seems to share this trait with him.

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 11th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Rocky wrote:
"SS" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It tastes good.

Must be. I doubt the conventional wisdom that they do it (only) because
their tummies are upset. Oppie loved to graze, especially on new shoots,
and only once or twice did I see him puke afterwards. Molly seems to
share this trait with him.

Muttley eats other vegetation as well, and he seems especially fond of
poison ivy. So I don't kiss him on the lips! And usually he will do the
urka-lurka and cough up some yellow mucus with green bits.

Paul and Muttley

Old July 11th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jim Manson

"SS" wrote:

Why do dogs eat grass?

They like a salad every once in a while, just like everyone else.

Old July 12th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Opinicus said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

wrote:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It's a habit that some breeds picked up from guarding
sheep. They then passed it on to their other kin.

Cites? I'd really like to believe you, but I don't.

I look after a wide variety of dogs and many enjoy spring grass.

Old July 12th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On 12 Jul 2009 02:49:21 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Opinicus said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

wrote:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It's a habit that some breeds picked up from guarding
sheep. They then passed it on to their other kin.

Cites? I'd really like to believe you, but I don't.

I look after a wide variety of dogs and many enjoy spring grass.

And summer grass, and fall grass...Today I took Music the greyhound to
the garage sale at my church, since he was such a hit when I took him
the first time for an informal meeting. Well. There are different
sorts of grass and other green things growing there than there are
here at home, and he thoroughly enjoyed grazing.

There are dogs that eat rocks, cardboard, glass, metal, wood, leather,
paper, poop... the list is virtually endless. Why so many people are
surprised that they eat grass is beyond me.

Old July 12th 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Rocky wrote:
Opinicus said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

wrote:

Why do dogs eat grass?

It's a habit that some breeds picked up from guarding
sheep. They then passed it on to their other kin.

Cites? I'd really like to believe you, but I don't.

I look after a wide variety of dogs and many enjoy spring grass.

Oppie was my biggest grass eater (and grazer of other
vegetation). I don't think Labrador Retrievers have much of a
breed history of herding sheep...

FurPaw

Grass seed mare Dog health 3 November 24th 07 09:01 PM
dogs pooping on the grass sueb Dog behavior 4 June 1st 05 04:54 AM
Grass Eating Michael Kalman Dog behavior 0 April 25th 04 07:28 PM
Dog Eating Grass Atom1 Dog behavior 30 April 4th 04 08:01 PM
Dogs and brown grass Sharon Dog health 7 August 22nd 03 12:08 AM