dog food for 3 yo

Old July 14th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Wintoon

Default dog food for 3 yo

Hello,

I just picked up a stray, who has been living off of garbage and does
not like his dog food. I also have a small puppy, 7 week old that eats
Royal Canin starter dog food. It is a little expensive, but I dont
mind, it seems the new family member, the stray, loves it. He refuses
to eat the regular Royal Canin dog food, but loves this starter food.

My question is, will it damage him if I feed him starter dog food on a
permanent basis?

I have tried mixing the two, but he refuses to eat the normal food,
even if it is mixed.

Thanks,
Sam.
Old July 14th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Wintoon said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My question is, will it damage him if I feed him starter
dog food on a permanent basis?

Starter dog food is puppy food, I guess. It's not a great idea
long term, but if it helps acclimate him into your household, go
for it. Puppy food is somewhat higher in protein than adult
food, so if you have any concerns or have a large/giant breed
dog, think twice and talk to your vet.

And by "not a great idea," I mean only if your dog doesn't
thrive on the starter food - something only you can tell. Good
luck!

Old July 14th 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Wintoon

On Jul 14, 12:58*am, Rocky wrote:
Wintoon said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My question is, will it damage him if I feed him starter
dog food on a permanent basis?

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "not a great idea"? Also how
do I know if the dog is "thriving" on the food?

Thanks,
Sam

--
--Matt. *Rocky's a Dog.

Old July 14th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Wintoon said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What do you mean by "not a great idea"? Also how
do I know if the dog is "thriving" on the food?

Since my "not a great idea" comment was based upon your dog
thriving (or not), I'll explain my perception of thriving.

If your dog maintains a good body weight, shape, energy level,
and coat on a reasonable (another wishy-washy word) amount of
food, he's doing well on that food. Add to that good short term
energy spurts, good endurance, and a good attitude towards
physical and mental exercise, and you have a dog who's thriving.

While only part of thriving is the food he eats, it's a basic
building block.

With your new dog, it's more important that he builds confidence
and comfort in his new home. If that means feeding him what he
wants to eat, especially since his life has changed so
dramatically, so be it. IOW, don't sweat the small stuff right
now.

Old July 15th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

"Rocky" wrote in message
Wintoon said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My question is, will it damage him if I feed him starter
dog food on a permanent basis?

Starter dog food is puppy food, I guess. It's not a great idea
long term, but if it helps acclimate him into your household, go
for it. Puppy food is somewhat higher in protein than adult
food, so if you have any concerns or have a large/giant breed
dog, think twice and talk to your vet.

So if I'm reading this correctly the higher protein is not good for large
breeds? At our last vet visit she said to feed Remi large breed puppy food.
Which I have been but I see the bag states its for dogs that weigh 50+ lbs
at maturity. I think our GSP is going to be well below that based on her
current weight of 28 lbs at 7 months (unless they get a growth spurt later?)
Now I am uncertain if I should contiue to feed the lbpf.

Kathy

Old July 15th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:32:10 -0400, "kat"
wrote:

"Rocky" wrote in message
Wintoon said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My question is, will it damage him if I feed him starter
dog food on a permanent basis?

Starter dog food is puppy food, I guess. It's not a great idea
long term, but if it helps acclimate him into your household, go
for it. Puppy food is somewhat higher in protein than adult
food, so if you have any concerns or have a large/giant breed
dog, think twice and talk to your vet.

So if I'm reading this correctly the higher protein is not good for large
breeds? At our last vet visit she said to feed Remi large breed puppy food.
Which I have been but I see the bag states its for dogs that weigh 50+ lbs
at maturity. I think our GSP is going to be well below that based on her
current weight of 28 lbs at 7 months (unless they get a growth spurt later?)
Now I am uncertain if I should contiue to feed the lbpf.

If she were my 7 month old GSP, I'd start switching her over to a good
quality adult food. Most GSP owners would do it at 6 months.
http://www.coveyrun.net/pages/gsp_ow...nutrition.html
Old July 15th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:32:10 -0400, "kat"
wrote:

"Rocky" wrote in message
news:Fri9C47F3F233D93australianshepherdca@rock y-dog.com...
Wintoon said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

[...]

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the breed is highly food motivated
but she is definitely that! I never really gave much thought to what or how
much I was feeding my dogs (free feeding - just made sure protein source was
the first ingredient) until joining this group. The whole hunting/food
thing I'm trying to learn also. I wonder if the protein/fat ratios would be
the same for a dog that will only occasionally be used to hunt. My husband
has big plans but I will be surprised if she is out in the field with him
more than once every week or two

Kathy

http://www.coveyrun.net/pages/gsp_ow...nutrition.html

Old July 15th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:51:41 -0400, "kat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Rocky" wrote in message
[...]

"Every week or two" is probably far more often than the average
hunting dog gets out to the field, Karla. GSPs are active dogs,
whether they are hunting or just chasing frisbees in your backyard.
I.e., they need daily exercise, whether it's in the field or out in
your backyard. And a good quality adult dog food should supply them
with all the energy, protein, fat, etc., they need.
Old July 15th 09, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"kat" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So if I'm reading this correctly the higher protein is not
good for large breeds?

Nope, that's why there's large breed puppy food.

At our last vet visit she said to
feed Remi large breed puppy food.

Take a look at what's in your large breed puppy food and compare
it to the brand's adult food. I bet that you won't find much of
a difference.

Two year old Maybe has never eaten puppy food while I've had
her, just the household CalNat Chicken and Rice. Which is
plenty high in protein and carbs for her activity level (she's
thriving).

Old July 16th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2009-07-15 13:46:41 -0400, Rocky said:

Two year old Maybe

That is as difficult for me to grasp as eight year old Bella.