"Do I dare to eat a peach?"

Old July 18th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Default "Do I dare to eat a peach?"

Molly likes peaches. She has been harvesting the ones she can
reach on the lower boughs of a tree in our backyard. She
consumed three or four while I was trying to take photos - I hope
there are no digestive consequences...

http://picasaweb.google.com/furpaw/G...Molly2009July#

Clearly we're not feeding her enough meat. :-)

FurPaw
--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 18th 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Molly likes peaches. She has been harvesting the ones she can reach on
the lower boughs of a tree in our backyard. She consumed three or four
while I was trying to take photos - I hope there are no digestive
consequences...

http://picasaweb.google.com/furpaw/G...Molly2009July#

Clearly we're not feeding her enough meat. :-)

Peach pits contain cyanide which is poisonous. Read this:

http://dogscats.today.com/2009/02/11...eadly-in-dogs/

I hope Molly is OK.

Paul and Muttley
www.MuttleyDog.com

Old July 18th 09, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Karla

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Molly likes peaches. She has been harvesting the ones she can reach on
the lower boughs of a tree in our backyard. She consumed three or four
while I was trying to take photos - I hope there are no digestive
consequences...

http://picasaweb.google.com/furpaw/G...Molly2009July#

Clearly we're not feeding her enough meat. :-)

FurPaw
--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.

You need to get together with Terri and Carmine. I think you'll find you
have lots in common!

Molly is, well, really quite wonderful.
Karla

Old July 18th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Thanks for the warning, Paul. We removed the remaining fruit
from the tree. Fortunately, she hasn't been eating the pits, and
it probably didn't produce more than a dozen fruit in total.

FurPaw

Old July 18th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Karla wrote:

You need to get together with Terri and Carmine. I think you'll find you
have lots in common!

Now I remember Teri mentioning Carmine's fruit-loving habits... I
wonder how they are doing

Molly is, well, really quite wonderful.

Thank you, she's convincing us of that as well!

FurPaw

Old July 18th 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

FurPaw wrote:
Thanks for the warning, Paul. We removed the remaining fruit from the
tree. Fortunately, she hasn't been eating the pits, and it probably
didn't produce more than a dozen fruit in total.

And the outside of the pit isn't poisonous. Only the kernel inside the
pit. So if she doesn't crunch the pits, she'll be fine.

You're post made me smile and feel sad at the same time. Viva didn't
make it to peach season this year, and she *adored* peaches.
Old July 18th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Robin Nuttall wrote:
FurPaw wrote:

And the outside of the pit isn't poisonous. Only the kernel inside the
pit. So if she doesn't crunch the pits, she'll be fine.

Good... there weren't any tooth marks on the ones I found.

You're post made me smile and feel sad at the same time. Viva didn't
make it to peach season this year, and she *adored* peaches.

Awww - it's bittersweet when the little reminders pop up, isn't it?

Turns out they're apricots. Yeah, I can tell the difference, but
I hadn't seen any fruit on this tree in the 5 years we've lived
here (we usually have a late spring freeze at this altitude, not
conducive to fruit), and I didn't pay attention until I picked
the remainder on the tree. Oh, my, but they were yummy! I can
see why Miss Molly was scarfing them down!

FurPaw

Old July 18th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Steve[_4_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Molly likes peaches. She has been harvesting the ones she can reach on
the lower boughs of a tree in our backyard. She consumed three or four
while I was trying to take photos - I hope there are no digestive
consequences...

http://picasaweb.google.com/furpaw/G...Molly2009July#

Clearly we're not feeding her enough meat. :-)

FurPaw
--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Who else is busting to go into a carnivore rant ? Hahahaha..
That is so cute, I had a horse who after I picked a mandarin and shared it
with him taught himself to pick, peel and eat mandarins and oranges. He was
a fast learner because he only ever picked 1 lemon. It's funny how animals
get a taste for odd things, my lab loves puffed wheat cereal and yoghurt and
it's difficult to keep either to yourself when she's around. She often helps
herself to the vegie garden as well.

Old July 19th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Karla

"Steve" wrote in message

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Molly likes peaches. She has been harvesting the ones she can reach on
the lower boughs of a tree in our backyard. She consumed three or four
while I was trying to take photos - I hope there are no digestive
consequences...

http://picasaweb.google.com/furpaw/G...Molly2009July#

Clearly we're not feeding her enough meat. :-)

FurPaw
--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Who else is busting to go into a carnivore rant ? Hahahaha..
That is so cute, I had a horse who after I picked a mandarin and shared it
with him taught himself to pick, peel and eat mandarins and oranges. He
was a fast learner because he only ever picked 1 lemon.

(snip)

I had a horse that daintily plucked ripe blackberries, never touching a
thorn. He was a gray-the one with purple lips.

He also liked thistles, and thought everything brought into the pasture was
a treat for him-he had a bite of my Jeep bikini top, and chunk out of the
landau top of my Cadillac. Both nice cars. both long gone. So is the
horse.

My dogs are all blackberry pickers, the Dalmatian also likes rosebuds,
pampas grass, and bamboo (all three varieties). We have lots of hurka-gurka
moments.
Karla

Old July 19th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

Karla wrote:

My dogs are all blackberry pickers, the Dalmatian also likes rosebuds,
pampas grass, and bamboo (all three varieties). We have lots of hurka-gurka
moments.

Another great Viva memory; picking wild blackberries at the local
off-leash area. Viva could find the ripe ones faster and strip them far
more efficiently than we could. We got a couple of gallons and she
probably got almost as much. That dog had an absolute iron stomach; ate
a full breakfast and asked for more the day we took the last trip to the
vet.