A problem with the breeder

Old July 19th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
YvonneD

Default A problem with the breeder

In Feb. my husband died. In March I foolishly decided that a puppy
would be the answer to the love I was missing. I contacted a papillon
breeder. I told her about my situation. She was very sympathetic.
She had a brand new litter and said one of the puppies would be
perfect for me. I sent her a $200 deposit.

In May I got the puppy and paid her $1000 in cash. About an hour
after getting the puppy my heart started to race. I thought I was
having a heart attack. I ended up in the ER where the doctor told me
it was an anxiety attack brought on by the responsibility of the puppy
and the death of my husband.

The next day I returned the dog. I also gave the breeder $104 of food
and puppy pads because she had been so nice to me. The breeder said
she would refund my money when she sold the puppy, which I thought was
very fair.

After more than a month she finally said that the puppy was sold and
she was sending me a check. I was shocked when I received a check for
only $600. When I questioned her she said that I had signed a paper
that said refunds were at the discretion of the breeder. I am very
upset. I can understand that I would lose the $200 but not $600. She
said if I changed my mind in the future she would "allow" me to buy
another puppy for $600. Before she said that she already knew that I
had decided that a puppy was going to be too much work for me.

If my brain had been working I never would have gotten involved with a
puppy, but I miss being loved.

Am I screwed?

Jane
Old July 20th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"YvonneD" wrote in message
[...]

Probably. You might be able to claim that you were under duress and not of
sound mind when you signed the contract, but that would be a stretch. You
made several mistakes:

(1) Getting a *dog* from a reliable rescue should be the first choice. They
will counsel you and usually have a liberal return policy, and anyway
adoption fees are usually $100 or so.

(2) Legitimate breeders would probably have given you an immediate refund
(possibly less the $200 deposit) for a next day return. Have you checked if
the breeder is a member of BBB? Does she have a license? Is there any
recourse through the county or municipal agency?

(3) Getting a puppy is a common mistake for someone who feels they need
love after a loss of a loved one. You should have a circle of friends
and/or a professional counselor during times of grief and mental anguish so
that better decisions are made with good advice.

(4) Any dog will give you love, especially one that you rescue from AC or a
shelter. I know Papillons are unbearably cute, and puppies probably even
more so, but an adult dog will have simpler needs.

I hope you can take positive steps to deal with your grief and sense of
loss. Perhaps you could volunteer to work for a few hours a week at the
local SPCA or a rescue. You will be loved by many animals and also find new
friends. Also you may want to seek support from groups that have discussion
programs for widows and widowers. If you are in the Baltimore area I know
of some. You may contact www.friendsofmercy.org. I wish you the best of
luck.

Paul and Muttley
www.MuttleyDog.com

Old July 20th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
YvonneD

On Jul 19, 8:34*pm, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote in message

[...]

You are 100% right about everything. What I did was stupid but I just
wasn't myself. I have already volunteered to work at out local MSPCA,
I start next Sunday.

Yorktese Breeder janet hodson Dog behavior 13 August 19th 06 07:37 PM
Great Breeder Suga Dog behavior 1 May 12th 06 10:24 PM
Looking for a breeder.... [email protected] Dogs - general 7 September 7th 05 12:29 AM