Black lab puppy has nasty habit......

Old July 14th 03, 01:20 AM
bentcajungirl

Oh, to be a dog and know the true joy of rolling in/on a stinky dead frog!!
Perry
bentcajungirl
"Michael Menoher" wrote in message
Can someone tell me why my black lab puppy (6 months) likes to drop
down and roll on disguting things like dead birds, lizards, etc. when
he runs across one when I take him for a walk? He rolls over on his
back and just wollows all over the offending thing with this huge
smile on his face just as happy as a clam!

Thanks.............Mike

Old July 14th 03, 04:06 AM
FurPaw

Michael Menoher wrote:
Can someone tell me why my black lab puppy (6 months) likes to drop
down and roll on disguting things like dead birds, lizards, etc. when
he runs across one when I take him for a walk? He rolls over on his
back and just wollows all over the offending thing with this huge
smile on his face just as happy as a clam!

One theory is that he's just applying doggy perfume.

Your aftershave probably smells just as disgusting to him :-)

FurPaw
--
There's no reason to give credence to anything spoken above 90
decibels.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old July 14th 03, 06:07 AM
Supergoof

"Michael Menoher" wrote ...
Can someone tell me why my black lab puppy (6 months) likes to drop
down and roll on disguting things like dead birds, lizards, etc. when
he runs across one when I take him for a walk? He rolls over on his
back and just wollows all over the offending thing with this huge
smile on his face just as happy as a clam!

Because he's a dog.

)

You can try keeping a close eye out for such nasties and putting him on the
lead before he can get to it, or watch him closely so you learn to recognise
the signs he's about to roll in something and call him away (fortunately
Murphy seldom finds such things, but I have managed to call her away before
she rolled in something disgusting a few times now).

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 14th 03, 03:59 PM
chowmom

"Michael Menoher" wrote in message
Can someone tell me why my black lab puppy (6 months) likes to drop
down and roll on disguting things like dead birds, lizards, etc. when
he runs across one when I take him for a walk? He rolls over on his
back and just wollows all over the offending thing with this huge
smile on his face just as happy as a clam!

Thanks.............Mike

Why? Because that's what dogs do! 6 months, 6 years, Labs, Chows,
whatever--the nastier the item the better!! In order to prevent a really
unpleasant roll or to prevent the dog from taking a quick nibble on
something foul (or fowl), the "leave it" command is very useful.
Margaret

Old July 14th 03, 07:52 PM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:00:36 -0700 Michael Menoher whittled these words:
Can someone tell me why my black lab puppy (6 months) likes to drop
down and roll on disguting things like dead birds, lizards, etc. when
he runs across one when I take him for a walk? He rolls over on his
back and just wollows all over the offending thing with this huge
smile on his face just as happy as a clam!

To remind us that what dogs like and what people like ain't necessarily
the same.

Old July 15th 03, 01:36 AM
seagull

Yep, that's what dogs do ---- and the really great thing is when they

have to get back in my car smelling like *******

Old July 15th 03, 01:54 AM
Supergoof

"Deb" wrote ...
"Supergoof"

(fortunately
Murphy seldom finds such things, but I have managed to call her away

before
she rolled in something disgusting a few times now).

Goose poop. That was always Kevin's FAVE roll-on. And he could start at

the
nose and roll and move forward at the same time so that is was ALL OVER

him!

lol

I think the last thing Murphy managed to roll in was a dead trout a few
years ago. She only manages to get it on her head and shoulders though,
perhaps because I catch her before she lies right down and wiggles in it.

The unfortunate ending to the trout story was that I was on holiday and had
to drive with a stinky fishy dog for half an hour to get back to my motel,
where the dog soap was! (I tried rinsing her in the lake where we were
playing, but that only washed off the chunky bits).

(just thinking of all these joys I probably have to look forward to when we
get a puppy in December ...)

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old July 15th 03, 01:56 AM
Supergoof

"Gwen Watson" wrote ...
Michael Menoher whittled these words:
Can someone tell me why my black lab puppy (6 months) likes to drop
down and roll on disguting things like dead birds, lizards, etc. when

I do wonder if it isn't some long ago mating ritual type of thing?
Sort of like the stronger they smelled of some dead animal the more

attractive.

Wolves are notorious for doing this.

I always thought it was to mask their scent for hunting, so their prey
didn't get smell a predator and run away (personally, if I was prey and I
smelled dead animal I'd run away anyway!)

Rachel
(New Zealand)