looking for harness for scootering

Old July 14th 03, 03:12 PM
Doug_from_IL

Default looking for harness for scootering

Try this site...

http://www.gearfordogs.com/

Doug

"culprit" wrote in message
well, it looks like i'm going to be able to buy a scooter before summer is
over, and i'll need to find harnesses for the dogs. since i know

absolutely
nothing about how to shop for a pulling harness, i was hoping someone here
could give me some advice.
a quick google search shows a wide variety of materials, designs, and

costs.
is there a good site somewhere that explains the differences? or can

anyone
here give me a rundown? what about reliable dealers? i hate buying

online
from someone i've never heard of...

thanks!

-kelly

Old July 14th 03, 03:41 PM

Doug_from_IL wrote:
Try this site...
http://www.gearfordogs.com/

Bleah - too expensive. Try a mushing outfitter, where you
can also order lines, carabiners, etc.

If you don't understand how things are connected, the cause of
problems is solutions -- Amory Lovins
Old July 14th 03, 03:46 PM
culprit

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Doug_from_IL wrote:
Try this site...
http://www.gearfordogs.com/

Bleah - too expensive. Try a mushing outfitter, where you
can also order lines, carabiners, etc.

are there any good sites that explain the difference between the different
types of harnesses? any good brands? i've seen harnesses for $20 or so, is
this a good price? it seems low for dog gear, i don't want to buy something
inferior, but i know price isn't always an indicator of quality...

-kelly

Old July 14th 03, 03:55 PM

culprit wrote:
are there any good sites that explain the difference between the different
types of harnesses? any good brands? i've seen harnesses for $20 or so, is
this a good price? it seems low for dog gear, i don't want to buy something
inferior, but i know price isn't always an indicator of quality...

I generally pay $15-17 for harnesses from places like Cold
Spot Feeds and Sierra Outfitters (the latter will make the
harnesses from your measurements). X-back harnesses tend to
be designed for husky-type dogs, and you may prefer a
freighting harness, etc. Sierra Outfitters is in your neck
of the woods (Maryville, Washington, I think). Call them
up, tell them about your dog, and ask them what they
recommend. I'm currently only marginally online (howdy from
Austria - my battery is dying), but you can find links to
them and other mushing outfitters at
http://www.sleddogcentral.com (go to the equipment page).

Old July 15th 03, 01:03 AM
Shelly & The Boys

culprit wrote:
[...]

Also the place I recommended Teresa to last week for tracking
harnesses, FidoGear, carries all sorts of harnesses.
They're in Bend, OR, IIRC and are super people to deal with.
www.fidogear.com
Really, I'm not affiliated with them in anyway, but have really
liked the products and the service I've gotten from them. I honestly
don't know what sort of harness you'd need for scootering, but
I'm guessing it's similar to what you'd need for skijoring, and they carry
skijoring stuff.
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 15th 03, 01:09 AM
Holier Than Thou

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in
:

Also the place I recommended Teresa to last week for tracking
harnesses, FidoGear, carries all sorts of harnesses.
They're in Bend, OR, IIRC and are super people to deal with.
www.fidogear.com
Really, I'm not affiliated with them in anyway, but have really
liked the products and the service I've gotten from them. I honestly
don't know what sort of harness you'd need for scootering, but
I'm guessing it's similar to what you'd need for skijoring, and they
carry skijoring stuff.
Shelly & The Boys

From my experience attempting to get my weirdly shaped dogs fitted in x-
backed harnessess, even here in anchorage:

Order the manmat Guard skijoring harness from coldspotfeeds.com
It works great, its easy to get on and off, its obviously comfortable for
the dogs and its ADJUSTABLE. Dog gains five pounds, you just let it out a
little. Dog loses five pounds you take it in.

Best investment I ever made. I love that harness.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK