Progress, finally!!!!!

Old July 14th 03, 04:12 PM
Shelley

Default Progress, finally!!!!!

I think that we have finally made progress with our dachshund!!!

Background...We have had Rusty, our 2 1/2 year old red dachshund since he
was 4 months old. Since the day we brough him home, we've been trying hard
to socialize him (we got him from a backyard breeder, not knowing any better
at the time and his first 4 months were spent exclusively with his 3
siblings and his parents and the one woman who owned these dogs), bringing
him to places that had other people, children, and dogs. Every time we
brought him somewhere, he'd bark and bark and bark. Luckily since he's a
cute little doxie, nobody ever minded except for us. At the dog park he was
known as the Walmart greeter because everyone that came in the gate got a
good 30 seconds of barking, both at the owners and the dogs. We moved from
one neighborhood to our first house on Easter weekend this year. Our new
neighborhood is quiet, friendly, and safe - much much different from our
previous place. Our new neighbors on one side have a little dog (JRT/beagle
mix, we think - tons and tons of energy!!!) who adores Rusty. Every day
they run outside to greet each other and will spend their whole time running
up and down the hill in our yards along the fence. They have a great time
and are good friends.

Because Rusty was getting so much exercise in our yard, we not been back to
the dog park in a few months. We decided to spend our Saturday afternoon
there, though, so that our dog could play and we could get in some exercise
as well. We did everything the same as we do every time. We made Rusty sit
before we went into the park (still on leash), we went in (still on leash)
and practiced recall a few times before the other dogs noticed us. Then we
set him free. Rusty walked calmly with us down the sidewalk until he saw
the other dogs. He then took off running and still didn't bark! For the
first 10 minutes that we were there, our normally barky dog was quiet!
After 2 years, I think we're finally making some progress and it's very very
exiciting. Just wanted to share it with everyon

Now just so you don't think that our dog is perfect (who wants a perfect
dog? they're boring!!!), he did bark after 10 minutes or so when someone
new walked in, but there was no barking at any of the people that had
already been there for a while.

Shelley & Rusty

http://www.bump.us/rusty

Old July 14th 03, 05:16 PM
Bichon.ca

A properly trained pet would work.

We trained our pets the word "NO". If they behave in a unacceptable
manner we just say "NO". It works excellent.

http://Bichon.ca/

Old July 14th 03, 09:02 PM
Shelley

Thank you so much for your insight but do you really think that we didn't
try that? We tried suggestions from our trainer and every person that was
willing to give them. Nothing worked.

Old July 14th 03, 10:10 PM
Bichon.ca

In all honesty no at least not correctly, for the most part pets can
be trained to do most anything with in their physical abilities. Have
you been patience and repetitive in training, used treats (food), toys
and other types of distractions and even some form of punishment for
the incorrect behaviour?
Do you or did you or did / does some one else hit and or yell to train
the dog? Lots of information and opinions on the Internet, i hope your
search will yield positive results.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:02:41 GMT, "Shelley"
wrote:

Thank you so much for your insight but do you really think that we didn't
try that? We tried suggestions from our trainer and every person that was
willing to give them. Nothing worked.

.. .