another "name that breed"

Old July 14th 03, 08:13 PM
James and Karen Stewart

Default another "name that breed"

I just accuired a dog from a shelter, they say he is one kind but I don't
agree..I see another type in him.
So I'll give a description and you dog experts tell me what you think...(
i'lll post later what we thought he was)

He is active...he sleeps most of the night and 1/2 of the day..but when he
is up ( usually between ( 2Pm and midnight) he is very active, when he is
tied up he runs in circles at the end of the chain, when he is off of the
chain he will run with me in the back yard...not overly interesed in chasing
a ball..playing catch or anything but I think that is because he was not
played with much before.

He is great with the kids, my son ( age 3) goes right up to him and pets him
and he calls him his buddy. If I take him off the chain he stays right
beside me and when a stranger came in the yard he growled at him ( while
sitting with me).

His head is about at my knee (I'm about 5'6) his body is long,. his ears
stand up perked, and he is mainly white with some golden brown in his head
and his ears, and on the top of his back. he has a long slender body.

He wants to be with us all the time.

Any ideas what he might be from what I have said....you give me your guess
I'll tell you what the adoption person told us and what we think he is.

Karen

Old July 14th 03, 09:34 PM
Suja

James and Karen Stewart wrote:

So I'll give a description and you dog experts tell me what you think...(
i'lll post later what we thought he was)

It's hard enough to guess names of plants from a description, but
guessing breeds based only on a description, unless there is something
quite extraordinary about the breed(s) is nearly impossible.

He is active...he sleeps most of the night and 1/2 of the day..but when he
is up ( usually between ( 2Pm and midnight) he is very active, when he is
tied up he runs in circles at the end of the chain, when he is off of the
chain he will run with me in the back yard...not overly interesed in chasing
a ball..playing catch or anything but I think that is because he was not
played with much before.

He is great with the kids, my son ( age 3) goes right up to him and pets him
and he calls him his buddy. If I take him off the chain he stays right
beside me and when a stranger came in the yard he growled at him ( while
sitting with me).

Nothing unusual here, I'm afraid. Reasonably active dog who is
generally good with his people and may be unsure of new people or
protective of his own.

His head is about at my knee (I'm about 5'6) his body is long,. his ears
stand up perked, and he is mainly white with some golden brown in his head
and his ears, and on the top of his back. he has a long slender body.

It would help tremendously if you could post pictures. If you don't,
maybe a few more physical details will help - age, weight, pointy/floppy
ears, carriage of tail, long/short hair, double coated, etc. It is hard
enough with pictures, without it....

Suja

Old July 14th 03, 10:13 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:13:07 -0400, "James and Karen Stewart"
wrote:

[...]

Post some pictures, Karen. Post them in alt.binaries.pictures.animals
or on the web. It would be fine with me if you posted them here, but
the whiners would give you heartburn about it.

Charlie
Old July 15th 03, 10:41 AM
Chris Jung

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

"Jayjay" wrote in message

OH - we can play Name that plant here? I've got this plant growing
in my back yard, I'm not exactly sure what it is. Its tall, has a
bunch of branches and its leaves look like long ferny-ish knives and
are clumped in clumps of 5 or more..

Anyone know what kind of plant that is?
:-)

Aaaack...college Biology plant identification flashbacks!
(What the heck were those ID help charts called that we used
that basically stated "if it has this, then go to this next section, if

not,
it's this...")

An Identification Key. But to use one to ID a plant one would need a heck
of a lot more clear info (leaf shape in standard terminology, stem cross
sections shape, etc) than it's a "tall thing with ferny leaves". :-)

For us to even have the slightest chance to ID the OPs dog without a photo,
he would have to write a ton of info - and it would need be in standard dog
conformation terminology (is the stop deep or sloped? What's the proportion
of the foreface to backskull, is the dog high on leg? Is he square or long
in back?) and still our guessing would be very tentative. In this case a
photo IS worth a thousand words.

Chris and her two smoothies and one scruffy
Zeffie, Pablo, and Bode

Old July 15th 03, 01:09 PM
Suja

Shelly & The Boys wrote:

Yes! I was having brain lapse. :-) I actually enjoyed it for trees
(which
is what we used it for), for plants I had a really nice field book for
the PacNW.

During my undergrad years, I had the option of taking Field Zoology or
Field Botany. I chose the animals over plants, and comparing my
experience with that of some friends who decided to do Botany, I'd say
that it was a very smart move. ID'ing animals based on skulls and such
is a heck of a lot easier than ID'ing plants from leaves and stems.
While we got to take field trips to watch migrating birds and catch
snakes and aquatic organisms, they were busy collecting leaves, and
pressing and identifying them.

Suja