Ping Melinda: Sled dogs

Old July 15th 03, 03:49 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Default Ping Melinda: Sled dogs

Melinda-
Would you have a favorite book/article pertaining particularly
to the structure of sled dogs (and other breeds as well)
and why certain structures are more desireable in
a sled dog than others (short back/long back, leg length, etc).
I'm looking for a few books to help me tie structure for
certain breeds together with the jobs they were originally
meant to do (or ended up doing).
I have lots of books on dog stuff, but no structure oriented
books.
(I read that you're in Austria--so no big hurry!)
Thanks!
Shelly & The Boys

--
http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/BSD.html

Old July 15th 03, 01:31 PM

Shelly & The Boys wrote:
Would you have a favorite book/article pertaining particularly
to the structure of sled dogs (and other breeds as well)
and why certain structures are more desireable in
a sled dog than others (short back/long back, leg length, etc).

I'm afraid I don't. One of my favorite things is being
shown around an experienced musher's dogyard while they tell
me about their dogs. Also, I've found that sending email to
people with pedigree questions is a good way to work in
questions about conformation, breeding tradeoffs, etc.

If you don't understand how things are connected, the cause of
problems is solutions -- Amory Lovins
Old July 15th 03, 02:03 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Shelly & The Boys wrote:
Would you have a favorite book/article pertaining particularly
to the structure of sled dogs (and other breeds as well)
and why certain structures are more desireable in
a sled dog than others (short back/long back, leg length, etc).

I'm afraid I don't. One of my favorite things is being
shown around an experienced musher's dogyard while they tell
me about their dogs. Also, I've found that sending email to
people with pedigree questions is a good way to work in
questions about conformation, breeding tradeoffs, etc.

Yes...and while you're walking, you actually get to SEE the
dog, put your hands on the dog. During a discussion about
shoulder layback in Belgians, someone brought up sled dogs
as an example (she's in MI, and has sled-dog/mushers for
neighboring friends) as to why mushers choose the dogs
they do. I am not all that familiar with the
differences between one "style" of Sibe over another,
other than noticing leg length. But, that could also have to
do with legs appearing longer due to a different length of back
as well, maybe?
(IIRC, the discussion dealt with Belgians having a short back, but
being very agile--not necessarily all-out fast or having the endurance
level like a sled-dog would, simply because that's not what their
original intent was. Sheep don't really run away out at a straight,
point for long distances, they tend to scatter, turn, bounce & zip
here & there. I don't know, I enjoy reading & learning about
the intent behind the structure, how it came to be, I guess).
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 15th 03, 05:48 PM

Shelly & The Boys wrote:
I am not all that familiar with the
differences between one "style" of Sibe over another,
other than noticing leg length. But, that could also have to
do with legs appearing longer due to a different length of back
as well, maybe?

The legs really are longer, and there are other physical
differences as well, like sleddogs having a rounder butt and
more reach with the hind legs. Then there are
non-structural differences, like coat. If you have an
opportunity (I forget where you are) you might enjoy going
to a sleddog race and taking a look at the purebred teams,
and comparing them with what you see in the show ring. When
I'm back home I'll try to track down some photos.

Old July 16th 03, 01:40 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Suja" wrote in message
Shelly & The Boys wrote:
I'm looking for a few books to help me tie structure for
certain breeds together with the jobs they were originally
meant to do (or ended up doing).
I have lots of books on dog stuff, but no structure oriented
books.

All I could find online:

http://www.el-minjas.com/Movements.htm
http://www.kossok.com/sibes/info/analysis/gnrlapp.htm (interesting
discussion on Sibe standards)
http://www.worldclassdogs.com/YBTJ/YBTJ_266_Main.html (You be the judge)
http://www.batw.com/netpet/dogs/malamute.module.html (On Malamutes)

Awesome...thank you, GoogleQueen! (I love that You be the Judge site).

Books that may be helpful:
Dog in Action: A Study of Anatomy and Locomotion As Applying to All
Breeds
by McDowell Lyon (Illustrator), Josephine Z. Rine (Introduction)

Dog Locomotion and Gait Analysis
by Curtis M. Brown

The Brown book is on my "want" list already...thank you!
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 16th 03, 08:30 AM

Shelly & The Boys wrote:
Would they most likely be at the same events?

Maybe! Some show breeders (the good ones) run their dogs to
get a better handle on whether or not their breeding program
is producing dogs that work well as well as look good. It'd
also be an opportunity to look at the non-purebreds that are
being bred strictly for working ability.

Old July 16th 03, 07:07 PM
dianne marie schoenberg

Suja wrote:
Books that may be helpful:
Dog in Action: A Study of Anatomy and Locomotion As Applying to All
Breeds
by McDowell Lyon (Illustrator), Josephine Z. Rine (Introduction)

IIRC this is an older book (I own it) and is mostly based on horse
movement. Actually dogs are very different from horses, and unless
you are interested in tracing historical theories of movement I'd
not spend much time looking for it.

Dog Locomotion and Gait Analysis
by Curtis M. Brown

I also own this one, and it's better than the Lyon book.

However my favorite book on structure & movement is "K9 Structure
& Terminology" by Edward M. Gilbert & Thelma R. Brown. They go into
a good amount of detail on how conformation affects movement, why
dogs bred for different purposes should move differently. There
is some specific discussion and photographs of working sled dogs.
It won't tell you everything you need to know, but will give
you a good background on how to analyze conformation and its
affects on movement.

Oddly enough, probably the best-known book on movement is the
only one I *don't* own: "Dogsteps" by Rachel Page Elliot. There
is also an accompanying videotape which I've seen which has some
fascinating xrays of dogs moving, but that's all I can recall--
sorry I can't give you more detail on this one!

HTH (and BTW, it was nice to meet you, Shelly :-))

Dianne
Old July 16th 03, 09:08 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"dianne marie schoenberg" wrote in message
Dog Locomotion and Gait Analysis
by Curtis M. Brown

I also own this one, and it's better than the Lyon book.

It's on my list...it and the Dogsteps book. I *should* have picked
up a copy at Dogwise this past weekend, but forgot to go back.

HTH (and BTW, it was nice to meet you, Shelly :-))

Yep...I'd forgotten about the Gilbert's book, they were on DogRead
a few months ago, and I just ended up getting off-track because
I hadn't bought the book then.
And, yes, it was nice to finally meet you too, Dianne! :-)
(Hopefully you'll back up this way come Rose City? I'm hoping
to try our hand at Novice A w/ Bodhi by then. Looks like
I'm going to be helping in a booth for either the BSCA, or a
local herding club--I think the two clubs might be sharing for
fundraisers, and since I'm in both, I doubt I can get out of it! laugh)
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 16th 03, 09:28 PM
dianne marie schoenberg

Shelly & The Boys wrote:

"dianne marie schoenberg" wrote:

HTH (and BTW, it was nice to meet you, Shelly :-))

Yep...I'd forgotten about the Gilbert's book, they were on DogRead
a few months ago, and I just ended up getting off-track because
I hadn't bought the book then.
And, yes, it was nice to finally meet you too, Dianne! :-)
(Hopefully you'll back up this way come Rose City? I'm hoping
to try our hand at Novice A w/ Bodhi by then.

I'd love to come up for the Rose City Classic next year, but
we'll just have to see. Getting to meet the black boy certainly
WOULD be a real inducement :-). This last trip was LOTS of fun
.... up until the point my transmission failed on the drive home,
anyway. *sigh* Oh well, at least I didn't have any dogs with
me this time.

Dianne

Old July 17th 03, 02:47 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"dianne marie schoenberg" wrote in message

(Hopefully you'll back up this way come Rose City? I'm hoping
to try our hand at Novice A w/ Bodhi by then.

I'd love to come up for the Rose City Classic next year, but
we'll just have to see. Getting to meet the black boy certainly
WOULD be a real inducement :-). This last trip was LOTS of fun
... up until the point my transmission failed on the drive home,
anyway. *sigh* Oh well, at least I didn't have any dogs with
me this time.

Oh NO! That sucks! I hope all has worked itself out, and
you (and the car) made it home okay!
Shelly & The Boys