Thinking of getting a new Border Collie puppy

Old September 3rd 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Roddy

Default Thinking of getting a new Border Collie puppy

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a Border Collie because I always
admired the breed for their smarts and loyalty, the problem is that
after reading some usual problems i understand that i have no idea how
to handle a border collie :|

If you all could be so nice as to help me on this subject by warning
me of common problems and quirks of the little fellas and ways to
train him into stop doing it, i would be incredibly thankful.

best regards
roddy
Old September 3rd 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"Roddy" wrote in message
Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a Border Collie because I always
admired the breed for their smarts and loyalty, the problem is that
after reading some usual problems i understand that i have no idea how
to handle a border collie :|

If you all could be so nice as to help me on this subject by warning
me of common problems and quirks of the little fellas and ways to
train him into stop doing it, i would be incredibly thankful.

best regards
roddy

You might want to read some of the books by Jon Katz, who has owned several
Border Collies and he had various problems with them. He also had sheep
which they instinctively herd, but they also need to be trained and each of
his dogs had different personalities and abilities.

For general discussions of behavior and training, you might consider
signing up on the forums at www.victoriastilwell.com (for positive
methods), as well as http://community.sessionswithcesar.com/forums, which I
think are more balanced in their approach to dog issues.

Unfortunately, on this newsgroup, you will probably be accused of being a
spammer, or rudely deluged with abusive and accusatory rantings from the
resident loon JH (who has already replied). I don't read his crap anymore
because he always digs up crap from the past and he will attack you
viciously if you don't follow his "methods" and worship the ground he craps
on.

Good luck with your BC. You might also consider an Australian Shepherd. I
met one on a dog walk at the Humane Society last night, and she was a
delightful, smart young dog who is up for adoption, and she got along well
with Muttley as well.

Paul and Muttley
www.MuttleyDog.com

Old September 5th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

"Roddy" wrote in message
Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a Border Collie because I always
admired the breed for their smarts and loyalty, the problem is that
after reading some usual problems i understand that i have no idea how
to handle a border collie :|

If you all could be so nice as to help me on this subject by warning
me of common problems and quirks of the little fellas and ways to
train him into stop doing it, i would be incredibly thankful.

best regards
roddy

You might want to read some of the books by Jon Katz, who has owned
several Border Collies and he had various problems with them.

I would strongly contradict this suggestion - Jon Katz is an ignoramus and
a jackass on a LOT of levels, and his experiences with BCs are not even
remotely what anybody should take as normal.

What I WOULD suggest is joining a few discussion groups oriented to Border
Collies- NOT usenet or google groups, but some of the long-established
discussion groups on Yahoo - and asking your questions there.

BTW, I am a former owner of a BC-cross lurcher, and have been around
literally hundreds of BCs since I compete in agility with my dogs, and I
don't know ANY BC owners who have anything but contempt for Jon Katz.

Old September 5th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"Roddy" wrote in message
[...]

Well, maybe by learning what NOT to do might be educational. I find his
works interesting, but also a bit disturbing. He admits to being
short-tempered and he has gone through severe depression and he says his
dogs helped him get through that. But possibly at the expense of the one
dog, Orson, who became unstable and had to be put down. At least he was
able to supply his dogs with an outlet for their natural instincts to herd
sheep. Most people would just get one because they seem so smart, but
unless they can get some sheep or engage in a similar high-energy activity
on a daily basis, their dogs might go bonkers.

Paul and Muttley