House training gone bad

Old July 15th 03, 05:40 AM
misty

Default House training gone bad

Chris Smith wrote:

snip
and then (when she's done playing)
walking back INSIDE to find me, and
peeing on the floor in front of me. I'm
getting VERY afraid to ever let her even
walk around inside the house. Am I
doing something wrong here? How do I
deal with this?

That's what you are doing wrong..letting her play outside by herself
before she has went potty. You'll have to be out there to praise her
when she does go.. and then to play with her too :-) Puppies like the
company..and that is also prime "training" time.

Training as in.. her name, sit, stay and come. Baby ones.. a few
seconds here and there until she learns what you mean..then she'll
slowly hold for longer periods of time (a stay or a sit, that is).

Accustom her now to learning "obedience" and it will set the tone for
learning in the future.

~misty "not a trainer" N~Zelda "I play a dog on the internet"

Old July 15th 03, 06:12 AM
Rocky

Chris Smith said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

A couple times in the past few days, she's happily
played outside for plenty of time when she could have been
peeing, and then (when she's done playing) walking back
INSIDE to find me, and peeing on the floor in front of me.
I'm getting VERY afraid to ever let her even walk around
inside the house. Am I doing something wrong here?

Heh, you missed the chapter titled "I'll go out with Ruby no
matter what the weather and stay with her until she pees and
then praise her and play with her". The key thing being: stay
there with her. Use this time to also teach her to go in one
spot if that's your wish.

Sounds like you're doing great!

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 15th 03, 05:27 PM
Dave Harsant

"Chris Smith" wrote in message
A couple times in the past few days, she's happily
played outside for plenty of time when she could have been peeing, and
then (when she's done playing) walking back INSIDE to find me, and
peeing on the floor in front of me.

And what do you do then? You should be watching her like a hawk, and as
soon as she gives a sign that she's going to piddle in front of you say NO,
pick her up and take her outside to the piddle spot. Puppies will tend to
piddle after physical activity, such as the play you described.

I'm getting VERY afraid to ever let
her even walk around inside the house. Am I doing something wrong here?

You have to watch her closely and try and anticipate every piddle attempt
inside the house, interrupting before it starts. The closer you can watch
her, and the more effective you are in preventing any piddles inside the
house, the quicker the toilet training will take, but interrupting any
attemtps to go inside is part of the training. If you take her outside to
piddle but don't supervise her, she will just see this as a playtime instead
of piddle time. You should supervise her when you want her to piddle, and
if she doesn't go within a very short time (say 1 minute) put her back in
the crate. Then take her out say 15 mins later and try again. Use the same
spot every time. Use a piddle word when she goes, and she will learn that
as a word to go on command, which is very useful on those cold rainy nights
when you want them to go quickly later on. Praise her and give her a treat
when she goes. Toilet training takes time, possibly a few months depending
upon the dog and the trainer, and she WILL have accidents around the house,
it is virtually guaranteed. And she will want to go on the best carpets
etc! So be prepared and vigilant.

And don't be angry with her if you find a mistake, it's too late and she
won't understand. Just clean it up and promise yourself you'll do better to
prevent it next time! And you'll need lots of patience.

Old July 17th 03, 07:53 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Chris Smith wrote in news:MPG.1980864ee3f7a689989851
@news.altopia.com:

And this
puppy has never seen anything attached to her collar that isn't worth
chewing; even if it's been soaked in bitter apple beforehand; she
doesn't care.

For the chewing, you might try distraction. When she is chewing on the
leash, distract her, give her something she can chew on, and then praise
her.

As for Bitter Apple, Moogli will happily lick every bit of bitter apple off
of whatever I spray it on. It works for some dogs, doesn't for others.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'This is a lot of tripe; you know
that.'--The Brain

Old July 17th 03, 07:54 PM
Gwen Watson

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

As for Bitter Apple, Moogli will happily lick every bit of bitter apple off
of whatever I spray it on. It works for some dogs, doesn't for others.

My trainer told me that often this happens because the really bad taste
of bitter apple evaporates very quickly. She said if you soak a cottonball
in the bitter apple and then place it immediately under the lip they will
never want to come near bitter apple again.

Just a thought. I have yet to go and buy me some bitter apple for
Reznor. But so far I haven't had serious need for this.

Gwen

Old July 17th 03, 08:08 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Gwen Watson wrote in news:3F16F0F8.39143E19
@ig.utexas.edu:

Just a thought. I have yet to go and buy me some bitter apple for
Reznor. But so far I haven't had serious need for this.

Right now there is only one thiong in the not-approved list that Moogli
chews on. My computer desk. It is pressed particle board, and it keeps
him occupied for quite a while if he is *really* bored. Recently, we have
been giving denta-greens to Moogli. Watching him hide them is hilarious.
Corners are favourite spots, as is behind people. Tuesday night, we had
the priest that is officiating over for a discussion of the ceremony. We
gave Moogli a denta-green to keep him quiet while we were chatting, and
he proceeded to hide it behind the priest. We apologized, and removed it,
and Moogli proceeded to hide it behind him again. I mean, it wasn't him
considering where to hide it, Moolgi *knew* exactly where he wanted to
hide it. And the spot was behind the priest. the priest moved (he thought
it was cute) and Moogli tried to hide it behind him again. By this time,
the priest was laughing his butt off at Moogli's antics.

Old July 17th 03, 09:08 PM
Gwen Watson

Chris Smith wrote:

Gwen Watson wrote:
Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

As for Bitter Apple, Moogli will happily lick every bit of bitter apple off
of whatever I spray it on. It works for some dogs, doesn't for others.

My trainer told me that often this happens because the really bad taste
of bitter apple evaporates very quickly. She said if you soak a cottonball
in the bitter apple and then place it immediately under the lip they will
never want to come near bitter apple again.

Hmm... my bottle lists isopropyl as an ingredient, and that stuff does
evaporate pretty fast. Seems to fit with what you've heard.

--

That's what Marilyn told me. And darn it I just went to Pets Mart
and forgot the bitter apple. Gee brain dead, I guess.

Gwen

Old July 18th 03, 02:27 PM
Leah

Chris Smith wrote:
I'm now suddenly a lot more inclined to agree with you than I was thirty
minutes ago. I have now discovered that, along with not finishing her
food at meal times, Ruby is supplementing her diet with large quantities
of dirt, her own excrement, and some rotten fruit that had been tossed
outside that I was unaware of (did I mention I just moved into this
house a few weeks ago?). Is this normal (particularly the dirt and
excrement part?) I imagine she's doing it because it makes her feel
full, and that's exactly why she then doesn't eat all her food. Should
I be concerned? Call the vet?

This is something I was going to write in my initial post, but forgot. :}

It's normal. Young puppies put EVERYTHING in their mouths. They're very
curious, and any object can become food or a chew toy. Yes, it's another
important reason why she's too young to be left alone.

Actually, an even better solution would be to tether her to you while

you're
working. She will probably sleep most of the time, especially if you take
frequent potty and play breaks. With her always at your side, you'll be
building a strong bond and you'll always be there to guide her towards

proper
behavior.

Possibly, but I have doubts about my being able to think through
difficult problems with a puppy constantly chewing at a lead. And this
puppy has never seen anything attached to her collar that isn't worth
chewing; even if it's been soaked in bitter apple beforehand; she
doesn't care.

Well, I'll try it after the crate for a few days; now is not the best
time to be risking my work schedule.

Whenever you can. When you can't, the crate is fine.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.