prey drive? what's that?

Old July 15th 03, 01:13 PM
Shelly & The Boys

Default prey drive? what's that?

"Christy" wrote in message

"Chris Jung" wrote in message

So far I've come to the conclusion that entire parts of prey behavior &
drive has been bred out of the collie. Chasing is fun but they seem to

have
minimal stalking behavior and zero drive to bite and shake.

If that is the case, then whatever is the other half of Dakota must have

had
hyper prey drive. He has become a monster hunter of all beasts on land, in
water and in air. If he isn't fishing in the koi pond, he's chasing
squirrels or bunnies or birds. I've even caught him on point a time or

two!
But, he has no follow through - he will tree things, and run circles

barking
at them, but I don't think he's ever actually caught anything. I'm fairly
sure he'd kill anything he caught. Fortunately, the birds are pretty safe,
though he may knock himself out one day running into a tree while chasing
them.

Yep, same goes for Coda. We know his mom was a purebred Collie.
Other than that, it's a crapshoot. And, he's got prey drive for
small critters written all over him. Bunnies, squirrel, & birds (we
had to move our birdfeeders outside of the dog yard). Bodhi's
got it as well. He doesn't play a lot with toys, unlike Coda. But,
he's got a few little soft toys (a plush ball, a little squeaky squirrel,
and a little blue tie-dye squeaky critter). He will do the whole run
up, pounce and shake.
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 18th 03, 08:34 PM
D.Currie

"Suja" wrote in message
D.Currie wrote:

And by the way, if the dog does catch something do you let her eat it?

Thankfully, haven't had to make that choice yet. Khan wants to bring me
what he has killed, and if I act horrified, will go bury it in a shallow
grave. Generally, the fox will take it away before he gets a chance to
although I have no idea who would have taken it.

Now, if he ever wanted to eat something, I suppose I wouldn't mind if he
decided to eat squirrels, birds or rabbits, but he most definitely won't
be allowed to eat groundhogs, raccoons, skunks, etc.

Suja

Well, the great hunter hasn't caught any squirrels yet, but she's gotten a
number of birds. I think Foxy would do even better hunting if Dax wasn't
around, though. Foxy can be extremely patient, and she will stalk and wait
and stalk and watch. As soon as the prey looks at her, she becomes a dog
statue. So she can get pretty close before the final rush. Dax, on the other
hand sees something in the yard and she just runs, and sometimes barks.

Hmmm...maybe Dax is saying, "Run away little critters, before Foxy eats
you!"

--
Donna

"It's even worse than that. Sometimes I think I'm living in a perpendicular
universe."