electric dog collar

Old September 13th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
waldorfedu

Default electric dog collar

My much loved silky terrier, Jessie, is now 5 years old. He is a great
companion but there is one problem that is now becoming crucial. He
is very excitable and barks whenever another dog passes the
condominium. Slowly he was learning not to bark. However, I am now
having to travel extensively on business for the next few months and
perhaps longer and while I am away my roommates look after him. There
would not be a problem except for the fact that someone in another
condominium has complained about his barking and I have been cited; if
I am cited again probably I will be told he will have to go.

Although I disagree with electric dog collars I think I have no option
but to look at this alternative if I want to keep him which I do. So I
need to urgently train him not to bark and as far as I can see my
options are very limited and the only quick solution I can find is an
electric dog collar. I have tried a collar that emits a sonic sound
when he barks and it had no effect whatsoever so I need something that
will change his behaviour and I need it quickly. Anyway who know about
silkies will also know they are a tough, resilience breed so I need a
collar and remote I can leave with my roommates to use while I am away.
Old September 13th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
news[_5_]

"waldorfedu" wrote in message
[...]

Rehome him. Find a Silky Terrier rescue group, and turn him over.

Old September 13th 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Steve[_4_]

[...]

Don't do the bark collar mate, how would you feel if you got tased every
time you pissed somone off? Try Jerry's method, it works and works well. Our
lab and foxy x don't bark more than a couple of times now when strangers
wander by the back paddock but they go mental if a stranger approaches the
back fence which is their job.

Old September 13th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2009-09-12 21:11:13 -0400, waldorfedu said:

I have tried a collar that emits a sonic sound
when he barks and it had no effect whatsoever so I need something that
will change his behaviour and I need it quickly.

Some people use citronella anti-bark collars. The roommates would need
to be sure the collar has the citronella in it. While there are a lot
of reasons why a collar like this isn't good, but you are in a
situation where your dog needs a correction every time it barks and it
doesn't sound like you or the roommates can either be home all the time
or keep the dog with them all the time.

I'd give it a try.

Old September 13th 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:11:13 -0700 (PDT), waldorfedu
wrote:

[...]

Please don't go down that road. It sounds like you're considering a
training e-collar, not an electronic "bark collar." And it takes a
good bit of training (and time) to learn how to use a training
e-collar correctly. You most certainly do not just leave it with your
roommates and ask them to "shock" your dog when he barks. That's a
recipe for disaster. I won't bemoan your decision to get a breed known
for barking (usually not a good idea for someone who lives in a
condo), because that's water under the bridge. But I don't want you to
give the dog up, either. It's not his fault that he likes to bark. So
I would rather see you board your dog on those times when you can't be
there over the next few months, rather than try for a miracle cure.
Because there's no such thing as a miracle cure. It's the only way to
_guarantee_ that he won't bother your neighbors while you are away,
and may even keep your roommates out of jail, too. Because if your
roommates don't use the remote correctly, it's almost a 100% certainty
that they will make matters worse, perhaps resulting in the police
being called, the dog being taken away from you for abuse, along with
getting a stiff fine. I'd also recommend that you spend a good amount
of time training and exercising your dog when you are there, because
silkies need a lot of both, if you expect them to be good condo
dwellers. You also might want to see if you can re-arrange your condo
so that the dog doesn't have the ability to see (and maybe even hear)
anything that's outside, which might give him less need to bark.
Old September 13th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
waldorfedu wrote:

Anyway who know about
silkies will also know they are a tough, resilience breed so I need a
collar and remote I can leave with my roommates to use while I am away.

There are 2 situations where the dog is barking inappropriately. One is
when a human is present, the other when nobody is home.

If the human is present, obedience is the answer. The dog can't be
barking out the window AND recalling and sitting/down/sit/down/sit/down
at the same time.

If the dog is barking when nobody is home, the answer can be as simple
as not giving access to the view.

I prefer electronic bark collars over citronella as I feel they are much
more fair (the scent of citronella lingers far beyond the correction).
I would bump up obedience first, block view as much as practical, and
teach a solid "quiet" command. If the dog need to be unsupervised and
able to view, the e-bark collar can be a reasonable choice. I don't
know your roommates but see enough bad roommate/dog situations, so I
wouldn't be handing the roommates a remote to use, but would prefer a
collar that corrects on its own. How trustworthy do you think they are
and do they have the dog's best interests at heart?

--
Janet Boss
Old September 14th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lachlan - KotU

[...]

I'd be inclined to findout who complained, go round to their condo and
****in' wail on their legs with a tyre iron. Or at least give them a choice
of listening to your dog bark or getting their ****ing knees smashed with an
iron bar. A couple of weeks in traction and they'll find that listening to a
dog barking whilst still being able to walk is like a choir of angels
singing.

I find this approach to be highly effective.

Old September 14th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
news[_5_]

"Lachlan - KotU" wrote in message

[...]

How is jail working out for you?
(PS: traction is no longer a common medical procedure.)

Old September 14th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2009-09-13 16:52:21 -0400, Janet Boss
said:

I prefer electronic bark collars over citronella as I feel they are much
more fair (the scent of citronella lingers far beyond the correction).
I would bump up obedience first, block view as much as practical, and
teach a solid "quiet" command. If the dog need to be unsupervised and
able to view, the e-bark collar can be a reasonable choice. I don't
know your roommates but see enough bad roommate/dog situations, so I
wouldn't be handing the roommates a remote to use, but would prefer a
collar that corrects on its own. How trustworthy do you think they are
and do they have the dog's best interests at heart?

Excellent advice, much better than mine.

Old September 14th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lachlan - KotU

"news" wrote in message ...

[...]

Not been to jail.
You'd be surprised at how much taking someone's kids hostage affects their
memory.