Black lab dry elbows

Old September 14th 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Drunken Reggie

Default Black lab dry elbows

Seems like a lot of the pharma junkies and dog mis-handlers have left
the group?

Hope everyone had a nice summer, had a wonderful summer myself with
the mutts at the cottage avoiding Komputers as much as possible.
I have one question which concerns dry elbow skin on the dogs. My old
guy has had it for years(Black lab mix) and I never really thought too
much about it, I figured maybe it was callouses or had something to do
with him spending a lot of time in the water? I noticed the new girl
( two year old Black lab mix) is starting to get a small spot on her
front "elbow" ( if that is the correct term) thought it may be from
running through the island and against trees or shrubs or stones or
whatever as it is just on one of her legs and it looks more like an
abrasion than a natural loss of hair. Now i am not going to bring her
to a vet for a scrape, but i was wondering what if anything are people
using on the dry patches on the dogs "elbows". I have noticed it on
other dogs (black labs as well-not sure why everyone here has black
labs?) and everyone I have spoken with pretty well just ignores them.
Should i rub aloe vera or something on the dry skin?
Old September 14th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:44:24 -0700 (PDT), Drunken Reggie
wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a callous, the kind that most larger breeds eventually
develop from sleeping or resting on hard surfaces. The older the dog,
the bigger the callous, usually. And rarely anything to worry about,
if that's what it is. A little Bag Balm can help, and so can providing
softer surfaces for the dog to rest on. With that said, it could be
(or is developing into) any number of things, for example, a hygroma
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...DogHygroma.JPG
....so you might want to have your vet take a quick look.
Old September 14th 09, 10:58 PM posted to alt.recovery.aa,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.pets.dogs.labrador
Lachlan - KotU

Most veterinary malpracticioners recommend draining them:

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/vet...1-hygroma.html
hygroma

He keeps his dog in a CRATE???
Who the **** puts a dog in a crate? Dogs belong on the furniture! On the
couch licking your face as you try to watch TV or on the bed farting in your
face as you try to sleep. My dog and cats get to go where the hell they
want. And the more inconvenient that is for me, the more they want to go
there. If I tried to put any of them in a crate my arms would get peeled
like bananas.

Old September 16th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

Drunken Reggie wrote:
Seems like a lot of the pharma junkies and dog mis-handlers have left
the group?

We can only hope!

[...]

I've been told that carpeting can contribute to the problem, don't know
if that is true or not. Maybe someone else has some experience with this?

I think some vitamin E would work well for this. I break open a capsule
and put it on the dry area.

Char