First NADAC Trial, finally

Old July 15th 03, 08:51 PM
Holier Than Thou

Default First NADAC Trial, finally

Ok, after hearing all of you talk about NADAC rules, I realized that I
really was starting out in the wrong venue. So we got our NADAC number
and are going to our first NADAC trial in August.

I am filling out my entry - Is there any reason I shouldn't jump my 20+ dog
at 20?

I think I am going to sign up for everything except touch-n-go, Kavik's
AFrame contact is a bit iffy (although his teeter and his aframe is good,
maybe it will be fun to try). Figure that we are going to be there, we
might as well practice as much as we can, and Kavik does better the more
runs he does (he mellows a bit and de-overstimulates).

Are there other rule differences I really need to know?

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 15th 03, 09:31 PM
Robin Nuttall

"Holier Than Thou" wrote in message
. 3.44...
Ok, after hearing all of you talk about NADAC rules, I realized that I
really was starting out in the wrong venue. So we got our NADAC number
and are going to our first NADAC trial in August.

I am filling out my entry - Is there any reason I shouldn't jump my 20+

dog
at 20?

Well if you would be in the 24" class you *do* have to jump either 24 or
20+--you can't enter 20. I think that's what you meant but wanted to make
sure. And go ahead and do it. I jump 24 because Viva gets sloppy at 20 and
because we jump 24 a lot more often than we do 20.

Are there other rule differences I really need to know?

No collar!

No tugging on leash as dog leaves the ring.

If the dog screws up the weaves you can't put them back in at the point of
screw up, you have to start over.

No weaves in the jumpers course.

You can call "training" and then train in the ring. No abusive training and
of course it's an elimination, but if your dog blows a contact and you want
to correct it, you can call training and work on it.

Old July 15th 03, 10:50 PM
sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

No tugging on leash as dog leaves the ring.

Actually, it's ok for the dog to tug on the leash IF the leash has first
been put around the dog's neck. What's not OK is for the dog to "target" to
the leash, and walk out of the ring tugging but unleashed. The rule is
partially about control- dog must be in control leaving the ring- and
partially about fairness- the dog shouldn't be "targeting" on the leash
placed at the end, since other competitors aren't allowed to put a toy or
treats there.

You can call "training" and then train in the ring. No abusive training

and
of course it's an elimination, but if your dog blows a contact and you

want
to correct it, you can call training and work on it.

You aren't *required* to say "training" to the judge. It's usually clear
when somebody's gone into training mode, since there's no other reason to
re-do a contact or other section of the course. G

Which reminds me: you'll be eliminated for TIR in the ring if you re-cross
the start line to enforce your dog's stay. Once you've left your dog and
crossed the start line, it's considered training if you go back and
re-position the dog or otherwise reinforce the stay. It's ok to pause and
reinforce it verbally and/or with a hand signal a couple of times, just not
ok to cross back over the start line. If you have to stop repeatedly- IOW,
if you're really delaying the start- the judge *may* call you for TIR.
As with any other TIR, you're free to go ahead and run the rest of the
course- you just won't get credit for it.

Old July 15th 03, 10:55 PM
Holier Than Thou

"sionnach" wrote in
:

"Holier Than Thou" wrote:

I am filling out my entry - Is there any reason I shouldn't jump my
20+

dog
at 20?

Nope! Only a few dogs do better at 24"- mostly very tall ones.

Are there other rule differences I really need to know?

Hmmm. Off the top of my head:

1. The biggie if you've only done AKC: Dogs run naked! Make sure you
take his collar off.

I run him with a collar in AKC, so thank you for reminding me!

2. You can't "fix" weave poles if the dog bobbles or comes out- you
have to go back to the beginning and start over. If you get a
successful performance, you'll only incur time faults. If the dog
never completes them from beginning to end (I, personally, have a
limit of 3 tries), you'll get 20 faults.

I am of the same mindset - three tries on the weaves, and then we move
on. And I never put Kavik back in the weaves where he came out, only
from the beginning - Its more important to me not to teach bad habits
than it is to Q.

I think I am going to sign up for everything except touch-n-go

Have you done Gamblers before? If not, would you like some pointers?
:-)

Only in a fun match and it was quite unsuccessful! Please give some
pointers!

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 15th 03, 10:58 PM
Holier Than Thou

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Holier Than Thou" wrote in message
. 3.44...
Ok, after hearing all of you talk about NADAC rules, I realized that
I really was starting out in the wrong venue. So we got our NADAC
number and are going to our first NADAC trial in August.

I am filling out my entry - Is there any reason I shouldn't jump my
20+

dog
at 20?

Well if you would be in the 24" class you *do* have to jump either 24
or 20+--you can't enter 20. I think that's what you meant but wanted
to make sure. And go ahead and do it. I jump 24 because Viva gets
sloppy at 20 and because we jump 24 a lot more often than we do 20.

I am now confused! (what else is new). Kavik is 21.5" tall and I plan
to jump him at 20". Thats ok, right?

Kavik is too short to jump 24 regularly. I use the practice jump at 24
right before we go in the ring - it appears to help him get the jumps
during our run,

Are there other rule differences I really need to know?

No collar!

No tugging on leash as dog leaves the ring.

By me or the dog??

If the dog screws up the weaves you can't put them back in at the
point of screw up, you have to start over.

No weaves in the jumpers course.

Handy. Kavik is having trouble generalizing weaves. I have him doing a
great job on the set in the club, a good job on the set in the backyard,
but he still doesnt' get that the ones on the course are weaves until I
really help him alot.

You can call "training" and then train in the ring. No abusive
training and of course it's an elimination, but if your dog blows a
contact and you want to correct it, you can call training and work on
it.

Thats interesting. So if he blows the weaves and I want to just work on
them, I can do so?

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 15th 03, 11:16 PM
Cate

"sionnach" wrote in message

1. The biggie if you've only done AKC: Dogs run naked!

I had no idea. Why is that?

Cate

Old July 15th 03, 11:59 PM

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:58:22 -0000 Holier Than Thou whittled these words:
I am now confused! (what else is new). Kavik is 21.5" tall and I plan
to jump him at 20". Thats ok, right?

Placements are ordinarily by "class" and classes are ordinarily separated
by jump height. However, there are two classes of dogs that can jump 20
inches. One group is called the 20 inch class. The other group is called
the 20 plus (or 20+) class. The Kavik would be in the 20 plus. 20 plus
means he is 20 inches plus some. Teams in the 20+ class can choose one
of two jump heights - 20 inches or 24 inches. Kavik can jump 20 inches in
the 20 plus class, he cannot compete in the 20 inch class.

Diane Blackman
Old July 16th 03, 01:13 AM
Melissa S. Frye

[...]

With the puppsters, I am taking them to shows, plus a set of weaves and we
practice at the hotel. I am trying to practice weaving in 25 different
places before their first trial.

So far it seems to be helping, but I really can't wait to get the weaves out
of the car.

--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

Old July 16th 03, 02:20 PM
Sionnach

"Cate" wrote:

1. The biggie if you've only done AKC: Dogs run naked!

I had no idea. Why is that?

Safety, and (I suspect) noise level. G It's not like you *need* the
collar for anything, and it's possible for even a well-fitted collar to snag
on something sticking out. I've heard a couple of horror stories about dogs
slipping during practice and getting hung up on, for instance, the pin that
holds the dogwalk together.

I've always been puzzled as to why the AKC decided to go counter to
existing procedures (USDAA and NADAC both predate AKC agility) and allow
collars when it jumped on the agility bandwagon. Of course, they *do* forbid
anything but flat collars with no tags.