OT - Cat

Old December 1st 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

Default OT - Cat

I know this is OT but I know there are some cat people her with a lot of
knowledge. I took one of my cats to the vet last night because she was
dragging her hind quarters.
They think she threw a clot. She is on IV fluids, heparin, plavix and pain
meds (although she doesn't appear to be in much pain). They are doing an
echo this morning to see about heart damage. If they are able to clear the
clot he said it would probably happen again . I'm starting to research my
options and was wondering if anybody had experience with this or has a good
resource. Thanks!

Kathy

Old December 2nd 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
dejablues[_2_]

"kat" wrote in message
news
I know this is OT but I know there are some cat people her with a lot of
knowledge. I took one of my cats to the vet last night because she was
dragging her hind quarters.
They think she threw a clot. She is on IV fluids, heparin, plavix and
pain meds (although she doesn't appear to be in much pain). They are
doing an echo this morning to see about heart damage. If they are able to
clear the clot he said it would probably happen again . I'm starting to
research my options and was wondering if anybody had experience with this
or has a good resource. Thanks!

rec.pets.cats.health+behavior

We had to put down a cat last year who suffered from a saddle thrombosis
secondary to cardiomyopathy.
I hope you have deep pockets, a realistic vet, and are prepared to accept
the worst.

Old December 2nd 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

"dejablues" wrote in message

"kat" wrote in message
news
I know this is OT but I know there are some cat people her with a lot of
knowledge. I took one of my cats to the vet last night because she was
dragging her hind quarters.
They think she threw a clot. She is on IV fluids, heparin, plavix and
pain meds (although she doesn't appear to be in much pain). They are
doing an echo this morning to see about heart damage. If they are able
to clear the clot he said it would probably happen again . I'm starting
to research my options and was wondering if anybody had experience with
this or has a good resource. Thanks!

rec.pets.cats.health+behavior

We had to put down a cat last year who suffered from a saddle thrombosis
secondary to cardiomyopathy.
I hope you have deep pockets, a realistic vet, and are prepared to accept
the worst.

No, yes & yes. Thanks for the link. The vet said they usually have to
euthanize before they even have a chance to see if the clot will resolve due
to the animal being in such pain. Were you able to attempt treatment at
all? I am really ambivalent about this. Mine doesn't appear to be in any
pain but I know clots are more likely to happen again. Right now she is on
day 2 of a regimen of IV fluids & plavix and resting comfortably.

Kathy

Old December 4th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
dejablues[_2_]

"kat" wrote in message
net...

"dejablues" wrote in message

"kat" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ours underwent pretty much the same treatment for about five days, plus he
was on a heating pad to try and raise his temperature - his hind legs were
cold to the touch due to lack of circulation and his body temp was only 94
degrees, raised from 92 at the start of treatment.

He also did not seem to be in pain, but the vet said that clots were very
painful so he was on pain meds. We decided to euthanize him because there
was really no improvement after 5 days of treatment - he was still
paralyzed, no detectable circulation in his hindquarters, and very little
increase in body temp.

It's a shame, since it usually hits young, seemingly healthy cats. I'm sorry
for your cat, and I wish you luck.

Old December 4th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

"dejablues" wrote in message

Ours underwent pretty much the same treatment for about five days, plus he
was on a heating pad to try and raise his temperature - his hind legs were
cold to the touch due to lack of circulation and his body temp was only 94
degrees, raised from 92 at the start of treatment.

He also did not seem to be in pain, but the vet said that clots were very
painful so he was on pain meds. We decided to euthanize him because there
was really no improvement after 5 days of treatment - he was still
paralyzed, no detectable circulation in his hindquarters, and very little
increase in body temp.

It's a shame, since it usually hits young, seemingly healthy cats. I'm
sorry for your cat, and I wish you luck.

Thanks. The vet thinks there may be some flow getting through because she
isn't in much pain and her temp registers. I din't know what she meant by
that until I went to take it this morning and realized the thermometer
*starts* at 94. Hers was 96 or 98 (can't remember which now) when she was
admitted and is now up to 100. I unexpectedly brought her home Wed. night.
I went to see if I could get her to eat and she just looked so bad that I
thought "I don't want her to die here" and "maybe I can get her to eat at
home". (She wouldn't touch anything at the vet.) She's stable at the
moment and more alert (plus eating a little, drinking, using the litter box
and some grooming) so we are in a holding pattern at the moment. I've
prepared myself (as best I can) that she might be gone at any point.

Kathy

Old December 10th 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"dejablues" wrote:

rec.pets.cats.health+behavior

We had to put down a cat last year who suffered from a saddle thrombosis
secondary to cardiomyopathy.
I hope you have deep pockets, a realistic vet, and are prepared to accept
the worst.

I went through this many years ago. Overnight at the ER, transferred to
my vet in the am, with euthanasia recommended. Another vet at the
practice told me that she could bring her to see the cardio vet for me,
and I jumped at the chance. I probably shouldn't have. 8 months of
meds and 2 more clots was not a great idea, in hindsight. She
recovered from the paralysis after 7 weeks. She went another few
months, and threw a clot again. She had just recovered from that one (7
weeks again) and she had a 3rd. We decided to say goodbye then. She
went on her own while we were getting ready to leave the house. Awful
last night and I wouldn't do it again. She was 9 at the time and a
wonderful little cat. She had a murmur from birth and I probably would
start seeing a cardio right away if faced with the same circumstances
again.

--
Janet Boss