Early Neuro Stimulation and BEYOND

Old December 12th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Susan Fraser

Default Early Neuro Stimulation and BEYOND

Hello old friends! I've not even visited rpdb, much less posted here
for a long long time! Feels like old times...

Here's a tiny glimpse of what I've been up to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-bpmiqsQxg (Gris-Gris got her CD, CDX
and 2 UD legs in straight Q's all in under 2 months, with a 199 and a
HIT in Open) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmh51V9kEHM (Here
she's running with a friend for the first time - at 6.44 yards per
second! She has more than enough points for a MACH and we're chipping
away at the DQ's)

And now I *hope* she is pregnant (the ultrasound is Wednesday) and I'm
researching the things I want to do with and expose the pups to in the
litter. Gris is a Supper Puppy (aka Bio Sensor/Early Neurological
Stimulation Program) and I learned about it from this group (Diddy,
are you still here too??) -- I'm quite sure it's a lot the reason Gris
is the dog she is. So I naturally wanted to see if anyone here could
give me some input. I'll do ENS, of course, but I'm looking also for
ways to enrich the pups' environment plus active and passive
challenges for them during weeks 3-7. I'm also using Pat Hastings
Puppy Development book and the Puppy Prodigies web site.

I'm particualrly fascinated with startle response and habituation - it
seems that pups that have been exposed to many novel sights, sounds
and even smells during the critical early periods have shorter
recovery times when startled later, and their reaction after startling
is more curiosity than fear. Does anyone know of any research or have
personal observations specifically dealing with exposure to stimuli at
different stages in the litter? Specifically, I'm concerned with how
much is too much, both in intensity and amount.

I recently helped a friend with a litter, and we exposed the pups to a
very wide variety and intensity of stuff. During week 3, Pat Hastings
says that pups should be exposed to sudden loud noises as this is
before fear has developed, and that the pup should be encourged to
startle and then return to normal on its own. We did lots of obnoxious
things around those pups during their 3rd week with nary more than the
bat of an eye from them. But I can find no guidance as to how long or
how often etc. this can/should be done at this age. In discussing the
sociaization period (5-16 weeks) Hastings again refers to the
experience of first being afraid then recovering. She says that
"bounce-back is one of the most valuable traits you can 'teach' a dog.
And the more often the dog recovers, the list of things/people/
experiences that the puppy is not afraid of grows faster and faster."

I am very comfortable with and excited about environment enrichment
and challenges. My specific interest is in thresholds in eliciting
that startle response as soon as pups can hear, during that third
week. From what I have observed, there is a pronounced startle
response just after the ears fully open, but no fear response at all,
so no observable checks and balances on what is beneficial and what is
too much. Hastings says the startle response should be encouraged
during the third week. I just don't know how much is too much.

Thoughts?

Susan Fraser and the AuH2Ok9s:
BeBop a Lu SheBop SH (almost 13 and still using her genius for evil)
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong UD MH MX MXJ (11 and in acting like a puppy
herself)
and Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya CDX MX MXJ MF (trying to convince me she
needs to eat for 12)

PS - I'll go on and say howdy as well as bye-bye to Jerry now, as I'm
sure he's having fingergasms, but I won't be reading any of the
garbage he'll be spouting in response to me dropping by here...
Old December 12th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_2_]

Susan Fraser wrote:

Hello old friends! I've not even visited rpdb, much less posted here
for a long long time! Feels like old times...

Here's a tiny glimpse of what I've been up to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-bpmiqsQxg (Gris-Gris got her CD, CDX
and 2 UD legs in straight Q's all in under 2 months, with a 199 and a
HIT in Open) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmh51V9kEHM (Here
she's running with a friend for the first time - at 6.44 yards per
second! She has more than enough points for a MACH and we're chipping
away at the DQ's)

Looks great!

And now I *hope* she is pregnant (the ultrasound is Wednesday) and I'm
researching the things I want to do with and expose the pups to in the
litter. Gris is a Supper Puppy (aka Bio Sensor/Early Neurological
Stimulation Program) and I learned about it from this group (Diddy,
are you still here too??) -- I'm quite sure it's a lot the reason Gris
is the dog she is. So I naturally wanted to see if anyone here could
give me some input. I'll do ENS, of course, but I'm looking also for
ways to enrich the pups' environment plus active and passive
challenges for them during weeks 3-7. I'm also using Pat Hastings
Puppy Development book and the Puppy Prodigies web site.

Best luck with the pups. Things have been very quiet here the past few
months, minor troll skirmishes and Jerry have been about it. Its been a
little over six month's since Diddy's last post. Let us know how this
type of training and your pups work out.
--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old December 12th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara Green

William Clodius wrote:
Susan Fraser wrote:

[...]

Facebook is the new usenet :-)
Old December 13th 09, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"William Clodius" wrote in message
Susan Fraser wrote:

[...]

The last I heard, Diddy was having problems with sick parents or other
relatives. She was supposed to do another Tricky Dog Show with Tuck in June
but had to cancel, and we have not heard anything much since then. Of
course this newsgroup as well as others have had declining participation in
the last few months, possibly with people using other forums and social
networking media.

Paul and Muttley
www.MuttleyDog.com

Old December 13th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Tara Green" wrote in message

Facebook is the new usenet :-)

Looks like it! the UK ISP's used to provide access to newsgroups and they
they stopped. The german server used to be free but they charge a little
now and you have to register. I use the german sever as I like to read the
posts in Outlook Express rather than through the Google website. I can see
why Facebook is more appealing but it will be a shame if the Usenet groups
die off.
Alison

harv neuro appointment (long) Judith Althouse Dog behavior 1 April 9th 08 01:30 AM
mental stimulation Andy[_2_] Dog breeds 5 September 1st 07 04:15 PM
OVER STIMULATION Fran Dog behavior 15 May 7th 07 08:05 PM
Mental Stimulation (Was Teenage Dog) Lynda Dog behavior 0 April 15th 05 08:07 PM