Peeing the rug when I'm there.

Old December 17th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MNRebecca

Default Peeing the rug when I'm there.

New dog. From local Humane Society. Had been surrendered. Black lab
mix. Female. About 5 years old. Spayed.

Fargo is house-broken.
She can stay alone all day long and not have accidents.
She stays on her bed in my bedroom all night long and doesn't have
accidents.
But when I come home in the evening and meet all her needs (food,
water, exercise, play time together, snuggling, maybe a rawhide chew
treat, and 2 or 3 potty breaks scattered throughout), THAT is when she
pees the rug. She waits until I'm lying on the couch watching tv,
then she goes to the open area behind the couch and pees on the big
braided rug. She has done this three times in two weeks (and once in
another living room location) despite consequences I assume she does
NOT like, i.e. time confined in a small bathroom (longer each time).

It's true, my last dog used to spend a LOT of time on this particular
rug. But Fargo doesn't pee on other rugs Billy used. And she doesn't
pee on this particular rug while I'm gone all day.

Thoughts? Thanks if you can help.
Old December 23rd 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
MNRebecca wrote:

She waits until I'm lying on the couch watching tv,
then she goes to the open area behind the couch and pees on the big
braided rug. She has done this three times in two weeks (and once in
another living room location) despite consequences I assume she does
NOT like, i.e. time confined in a small bathroom (longer each time).

Do you think she understands the confinement? Why are you LETTING the
pattern continue?

#1 - keep a better eye on her
#2 - realize that once you are home, she becomes more active which
stimulates her entire body
#3 - clean effectively or get rid of the rug (at least temporarily)
#4 - block the area (chairs, gates, whatever)
#5 - supervise better (did I already say that? Yes - you need to do
that!)

--
Janet Boss
Old December 28th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MNRebecca

On Dec 23, 10:20*am, Janet Boss
wrote:

Do you think she understands the confinement? *

Yes, it has worked to teach her not to climb up on the furniture.

#3 - clean effectively or get rid of the rug (at least temporarily)

I got rid of the rug. No accidents since. I hope to introduce a new
one, perhaps over New Year's when I have more time at home with her.
She likes the other braided rugs in the house - likes to roll on them,
scratching and massaging herself. Hope she's okay with the new one.

R.
Old January 14th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MNRebecca

"MNRebecca" wrote in message

I got rid of the rug. *No accidents since. *I hope to introduce a new
one, perhaps over New Year's when I have more time at home with her.
She likes the other braided rugs in the house - likes to roll on them,
scratching and massaging herself. *Hope she's okay with the new one.

Alas, that didn't work. Peed the new rug AND a previously unpeed rug
near her water bowl. This time I added denial of a meal to the time
out AND took advice from another source that she may feel insecure
because I'm not being dominant enough. It's really not my style, as a
dog owner, to dominate my dog. But there have been no accidents
since.

R.
Old January 15th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:49:32 -0800 (PST), MNRebecca
wrote:

"MNRebecca" wrote in message

I got rid of the rug. *No accidents since. *I hope to introduce a new
one, perhaps over New Year's when I have more time at home with her.
She likes the other braided rugs in the house - likes to roll on them,
scratching and massaging herself. *Hope she's okay with the new one.

Alas, that didn't work. Peed the new rug AND a previously unpeed rug
near her water bowl. This time I added denial of a meal to the time
out AND took advice from another source that she may feel insecure
because I'm not being dominant enough. It's really not my style, as a
dog owner, to dominate my dog. But there have been no accidents
since.

You denied your dog a meal because she peed on a rug? Do you
seriously think she understood the connection?

Whoever told you the dog is peeing on the rug because you're not
dominant enough is, um, misguided. I shudder to think how you
asserted your dominance.

Did you bother to rule out a medical cause for her behavior?

Old January 17th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2010-01-14 21:32:42 -0500, sighthounds & siberians said:

Did you bother to rule out a medical cause for her behavior?

And what kind of schedule is the dog on?

Old January 17th 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

On 2010-01-14 21:32:42 -0500, sighthounds & siberians said:

Did you bother to rule out a medical cause for her behavior?

And what kind of schedule is the dog on?

Perhaps some dogs require a strict schedule to achieve perfect
housebreaking, but I do not think that is the case in this situation. I can
offer my experience with Muttley to verify that he, at least, can be 100%
reliable in the house with a random schedule that provides him with only
one or two walks of perhaps 15-20 minute duration each day, and sometimes
remaining in the house for 12-20 hours. He will let me know if he really
needs to go out (or if he just hears an animal he wants to investigate),
but he absolutely does not mess in the house.

I agree with the OP that her dog may be exhibiting dominant behavior and is
marking in the house for rasons related to that. Once a dog has accepted a
human as a surrogate pack leader, and also recognizes the house as the
pack's den, only extreme circumstances would warrant messing in the house.

In this case the peeing seems to be a definite message, and probably an
attempt to assert dominance in the absence of an accepted pack leader. The
human may establish pack leadership in various ways, and it need not be
violent or abusive, but is mostly a show of confidence and zero tolerance
for unwanted behavior. And much depends on the personalities of the dog and
the human.

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old January 19th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On 2010-01-14 21:32:42 -0500, sighthounds & siberians said:

Did you bother to rule out a medical cause for her behavior?

And what kind of schedule is the dog on?

Perhaps some dogs require a strict schedule to achieve perfect
housebreaking, but I do not think that is the case in this situation. I can
offer my experience with Muttley to verify that he, at least, can be 100%
reliable in the house with a random schedule that provides him with only
one or two walks of perhaps 15-20 minute duration each day, and sometimes
remaining in the house for 12-20 hours. He will let me know if he really
needs to go out (or if he just hears an animal he wants to investigate),
but he absolutely does not mess in the house.

I agree with the OP that her dog may be exhibiting dominant behavior and is
marking in the house for rasons related to that.

Of course you do, because no one else does, and taking this position
might get you some attention.

Once a dog has accepted a
human as a surrogate pack leader, and also recognizes the house as the
pack's den, only extreme circumstances would warrant messing in the house.

Rubbish. I've owned and/or fostered well over 50 dogs of different
breeds, including two *extremely* dominant females, and I've never
seen a dog pee on rugs out of dominance.

In this case the peeing seems to be a definite message, and probably an
attempt to assert dominance in the absence of an accepted pack leader. The
human may establish pack leadership in various ways, and it need not be
violent or abusive, but is mostly a show of confidence and zero tolerance
for unwanted behavior. And much depends on the personalities of the dog and
the human.

All based on your vast experience, watching The Dog Whisperer and
reading Victorial Stillwell, eh?

You're too inexperienced (both in terms of dogs you've owned and
training methods/behavior theories you've used and read about) to
offer advice to anyone.

Old January 20th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:14:53 -0500, "Paul E. Schoen"
All based on your vast experience, watching The Dog Whisperer and

reading Victorial Stillwell, eh?

In defence of VS, she no longer believes in the Dominance or Rank
Reduction Theory.
Alison

Old January 20th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:23:31 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:14:53 -0500, "Paul E. Schoen"
All based on your vast experience, watching The Dog Whisperer and

reading Victorial Stillwell, eh?

In defence of VS, she no longer believes in the Dominance or Rank
Reduction Theory.

That's good. Dogs do sometimes do things because of a desire to
dominate, but not anywhere as often as some people claim, and more in
relation to other dogs than people, IMO. I wasn't saying anything
positive, negative, or neutral about either TDW or VS; I was saying
that all of Paul's 'knowledge' comes from those sources. Or, at any
rate, those are the two he's always quoting.