Vaccines - Are They Safe for Your Dog?

Old January 31st 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

Default Vaccines - Are They Safe for Your Dog?

Written by: Dee Blanco who is a holistic veterinarian practicing in
Santa Fe, New Mexico. She is listed under Altvetmed.

The questions surrounding the issue of veterinary vaccinations are many.
My intent is to open other doors of thought that might help you make
your decisions align with your animals well being, your lifestyle, your
left and right brain and most importantly - your heart. ... Because I
cannot completely separate from this topic, you will clearly hear my
bias, my emotions as well as my perspective from my years practicing
allopathy and subsequently homeopathy. I will make recommendations
based both on this study of many years and on the way I hope to be of
help in the world.
I strongly recommend for you to let this info simmer a bit ... please
make sure to do more research. And always listen to your inner voice.
You are your own authority, you are your animal's primary health care
practitioner, on call, 24 hours a day. You may decide some of this info
is useful, and some you will let go by. Please make sure you do not
allow fear to run your decisions.
I have spent a good amount of time in the last 12 of my 19 years as a
vet, studying the issue of vaccinations. During this time, in my
holistic vet practice, I have been able to see the clinical
manifestations and harmful effects of the use and abuse of vaccinations.
I have also been able to see improvements of many common maladies in our
domestic animals using holistic medicines, in particular homeopathy. It
is from this clinical standpoint as well as my own study of the
available info on vaccinations that I present my info. I am continually
compiling more info in my 'database', so if you would like to add
anything you might have, please feel free to send me your info.

The History of Vaccinations

The birth of vaccinations came when the English doctor Edward Jenner
discovered that the people who worked closely with cows seemed to be
less susceptible to smallpox. He injected small amounts of the smallpox
crusts into healthy individuals (including his own son) and found these
people to also be less susceptible to smallpox. Unfortunately, this
process may have fatally weakened his son and his son's friends, because
he died at the early age of 21 of tuberculosis.
Then, during the American Civil War, Louis Pasteur, an accomplished
microbiologist, was able to change the vaccines he was using enough that
some of the harmful effects were diminished. He was famous for his work
in cattle where he was able to prove that vaccines could protect against
the deadly disease, anthrax. Thus, he started the new field of medicine
called immunology. Pasteur also became famous for his concept of the
'germ theory'. This is still the theory modern medicine uses to explain
all illness. Thus we have created a 'war on bugs' that we seem to be
losing. It's interesting to note that on his deathbed Pasteur recanted
his prior work of blaming the microorganism. His last words were "seed
is nothing, soil is everything". In Chinese medicine we say "it's not
the agent, but the terrain". Both are saying the same thing - the germ
is nothing, but the host's resistance is everything. These concepts lay
the foundation for all forms of holistic medicine.

How Vaccines Work

The primary intention of the vaccine is to produce a stimulation to the
cellular immune system, via the production of antibodies. Antibodies
attach onto the virus and render it inactive and harmless. It is
through this stimulation and resultant production of antibodies that the
body is now prepared for a possible 'attack' by 'foreign invaders' later
down the line. These invaders are typically known as bacteria or
viruses. This immunity will later provide protection without having to
go through the disease itself. It's a bit like the vigilant minute-men
always on guard for a possible attack. There are problems with this way
of thinking which we will discuss later.

Why Vaccines Cause Problems

Typically, the vaccines are injected into the body; subcutaneously
(under the skin) or intramuscularly (in the muscle). These vaccines
usually have numerous viruses as well as other ingredients in them.
Exceptions to this include the rabies, corona, and bordatella vaccines.
Herein lies the second and third problem with the vaccination process.
The process of injecting numerous viruses at one time into the body does
not mimic in any way what we would see in the natural world. There
would never be such an enormous exposure to that many microorganisms at
one time. ... These diseases have never, in the real world, occurred at
one time, never. The purpose for which mother nature uses and continues
to use acute illness is to thin out the population, whereby the fittest
survive. Everything in nature has a rhythm, everything. The rhythm of
distemper, of polio, of measles, of influenza, of parvo, of rabies are
all on a schedule. This schedule, much to the chagrin of the vet
profession, is not determined by the vet profession!
Neil Miller, a father of two, in his desire to understand the issues
around vaccinations for his children, decided to explore the issue
extensively. He studied the rise and fall and the death rate of the
childhood diseases of polio, measles, and whooping cough in both the US
and the UK. He compared the death rates and the point at which
vaccinations were introduced. Much to his surprise, in all three of
these diseases, he saw that the death rates starting in the early 1900s
were markedly decreasing by the time the vaccines were introduced. In
the case of polio there was actually a bit of an increase after the
vaccines. The increased numbers of deaths after polio vaccines were
covered up by reclassifying them as aseptic meningitis. Therefore the
deaths didn't show up in the records, but it is quite clear that
vaccinations did not really have a beneficial impact on the already
declining health rate. The reason the diseases were declining had more
to do with the increased natural resistance and better understanding
about prevention through hygiene.
Thirdly, the process of injecting viruses into the body is a very
unnatural method of introducing viruses, with the exception of Rabies
virus. Most other forms of exposure are through the mucous membranes -
the nose, throat/mouth, even the eyes. This creates another huge insult
to the immune system. First we gather a whole bunch of viruses and
other 'stuff', then we inject them into the body at one time! I have to
ask myself if this could be the start of massive confusion and havoc
causing the body to attack itself? In other words, could this be why we
are seeing so much autoimmune disease?
Fourth, when these viruses are injected into the body, they find their
way into the small capillaries, then into the larger vessels and are
filtered by the lymph nodes. This sounds fine except that usually these
viruses are first introduced into the mouth and nose, where the humoral
immune system is stimulated. It produces the powerful immunoglobulins
(IgA, IgG, IgM) which provide the first line of defense.
When this primary defense mechanism of the humoral immune system is
bypassed, you are dependent on the cellular immune system only; this is
the branch that produces antibodies. Producing antibodies is a fine
thing, but when the natural pathways are bypassed it creates an extra
load on the system. Having the natural stimulation of both wings of the
immune system is a more balanced approach and isn't what happens with
injected vaccines.
Last, but certainly not least, are the other substances that are in the
vaccine vials that are potentially problematic. This discussion follows.

What Is In A Vaccine?

The two forms of vaccines available are the modified-live (MLV) and the
killed vaccine. For obvious reasons, the Rabies vaccine is a killed
product ... the MLVs are the viruses that were once alive and now have
been chemically attenuated (altered) so that they are still recognized
by the body but are, theoretically, not able to cause the full blown
clinical disease. Typically, the chemical agent used to alter the virus
is formalin or formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Attenuating the virus
so that it cannot attach to a cell wall and infect that cell is a good
idea, but not all the virus particles may be altered. Some may escape
attenuation and are free to cause disease. This may be part of the
reason that we see 'breaks' in vaccinated animals. There has also been
much speculation that these MLVs have shed into the environment,
exposing other animals, including wild animals, to these diseases.
Additional components of the vaccines are the preservatives that do what
preservatives do. These ingredients are also known in current medicine
to be carcinogenic agents, including a compound called thymersol, a
mercury derivative and aluminum, used to attenuate the viruses. We all
know the possible effects of aluminum.
Even the cells these viruses are grown on can produce allergic reactions
in the body. Some of the tissue lines used are from ducks, monkeys,
pigs, and the like. These could be creating much of the constant
itching, inflamed bowel, and eczematous ears that are so prevalent.
There are additional ingredients called adjuvants. These are foreig
proteins that are added to give a generic, non-specific immune response.
These proteins are proprietary (secret) info and are not given out to
anyone. It's much like the ingredients on a bottle of BBQ sauce where
they list 'herbs and spices' generically. No one really knows what
'herbs and spices' really means. These preservatives and adjuvants are
what are believed to be the major cause of the surging incidence of
fibrosarcomas in cats. Studies at Colorado State U. by one of my
professors, Dr. Dennis Macy, are showing this strong correlation.
It is felt by the biologics companies that if the body doesn't respond
to the numerous viruses that are in each vial of vaccine, than surely
the body will respond to other foreign proteins. One rep from a major
biologics company, at a meeting on vaccines in 1997 I attended, said
quite embarrassed, 'We know how to turn the immune system on, but we
don't know how to turn it off". This is the fundamental problem with
vaccines: they are generically stimulating to the body, usually
creating illness where there once was none.

How Do You Tell If a Vaccine Is Working?

The easiest way to determine if a vaccine is working is to take a blood
sample and send it to a lab to determine if there are still circulating
antibodies against that virus. This is called an antibody titer. This
is a simple test, but there has been some controversy as to what titer
level will provide protection from the clinical disease, and what level
tells you there has been exposure to the disease.
The next way is to believe the biologics companies. This is not my
ideal choice since I believed them many years ago when I would vaccinate
animals and they would break out with the disease. Perfectly healthy
animals coming down with the diseases they were being vaccinated
against! It was embarrassing and horrifying that I caused these
illnesses. The biologics companies told me their vaccines could never
have caused the illness. They justified this by saying that the animals
must have been incubating the illness and it coincidentally came out at
the time of the vaccine. This never made sense to me but as a young,
brain-washed vet, I passed this info on to the clients. I still to this
day find it interesting that we are a self-serving profession creating
the illnesses that return later through our doors to be treated again.
What could be more self-serving? I believe this is one of the reasons
the vet profession turns its back on the issue of vaccinations. It
would mean we would have to take a good hard look at what we are doing.
It would mean we would have to take responsibility. Enough of my soap
box, for now.
One way to determine how long a vaccine is capable of lasting in the
body is by duration of immunity studies. These are studies that the
biologics companies conduct to determine whether vaccinated animals can
withstand a challenge from a live virus contact. The problem here is
that there are inadequate duration of immunity studies at this time.
These are difficult and expensive test and there has not been enough
pressure on these companies to do these tests. One of the reasons is
because the profession has assumed that vaccines are harmless and giving
repeated doses or annual vaccinations is 'good medicine'.
Because of inadequate studies, the biologics companies are not willing
at this point in time to change the recommended protocols. Much info
available from numerous sources verifies that the MLVs, if given after
14 wks of age (after maternal antibodies have decreased), are effective
for a lifetime. Most rabies titers at this time are showing effective
protection at 5 to 6 years after vaccination. I believe the rabies
duration of immunity studies would help us change the ludicrous yearly
vaccination requirements in many states. Many animals I test are
showing protection to parvo and distemper after 10 years or more. The
real question here is: how did these recommendations for yearly
vaccinations start?

Why Are We Vaccinating Yearly?

This is a really good question, isn't it? The first massive vaccination
program began in the 1940s and the 50s for distemper and adenovirus.
These early vaccines showed that one third of the puppies did not
maintain protective titers to distempter for one year after the initial
vaccination. By the way, we have yet to talk about susceptibility,
which these researchers did not take into account. This led to the
recommendation in 1959 that dogs should be vaccinated annually, as a
safety measure. Distemper was a horrible, life threatening disease and
was capable of going through a population of puppies very quickly.
Usually it caused gastrointestinal symptoms such as bloody diarrhea
(much like Parvo), or respiratory symptoms, and in the most severe state
would cause neurological symptoms which were rarely successfully treated.
In 1961, recommendations that a serum analysis of the blood was the best
way to determine immunological protection. Since clients would need to
pay for that, plus an exam, and possibly the re-vaccination fee, it
would be easier and cheaper, based on the local incidence of distempter,
the history of the animal, and the potential risk, that annual
vaccinations be given. Thus start the annual standard of practice.
There was no science here! Unfortunately, there were few people willing
to push for the serum analysis, or to really look at the exposure of
each animal, or to look at any other factors influencing susceptibility.
Dr. Ron Schultz and the U. of Wisconsin-Madison, a veterinary
immunologist, questions the lack of scientific evidence to support our
current practices. In his article in the 1992 edition of Current
Veterinary Therapy, Dr Schultz and his co-author, Dr. Phillips, discuss
the issue. Their words follow: "A practice that was started many years
ago and that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual
vaccinations. Almost without exception there is no immunologic
requirement for annual revaccination. Immunity to viruses persists for
years or for the life of the animal. Successful vaccination to most
bacterial pathogens produces an immunologic memory that remains for
years, allowing an animal to develop a protective anamnestic (secondary)
response when exposed to virulent organisms. Only the immune response
to toxins requires boosters (e.g. tetanus toxin booster, in humans, is
recommended once every 7-10 years) and no toxin vaccines are currently
used for dogs and cats. Furthermore, revaccination with most viral
vaccines fails to stimulate an anamnestic response as a result of
interference by existing antibodies (similar to maternal antibody
interference). The practice of annual vaccination in our opinion should
be considered of questionable efficacy unless it is used as a mechanism
to provide an annual physical exam or is required by law (i.e. certain
states require annual revaccination for rabies)."
Whew! The summary of his statement is this: yearly boosters are
unnecessary and the current antibody protection in the body will
actually interfere with other new vaccines. Therefore, they are not
useful and certainly don't provide more protection if given annually.
This report also emphasizes that yearly reminders get people into the
clinic to give yearly vaccines and put little to no emphasis on a
wellness exam. This is a backward approach, isn't it? Shouldn't we
remind our clients to come in for a yearly wellness check and if
necessary then suggest the vaccinations? Have we become so complacent
and dependent on these little vaccine vials and their financial power?
Are there not other methods of preventative medicine? If you choose
these yearly vaccines will your animals be protected against all the
harmful diseases known to animals?

Who Is Susceptible? And To What?

There is a questions as to who is susceptible and to what diseases,
which really distills down to: at what age are the animals most and
least susceptible, and what diseases are species specific or regionally
specific?
It is odd to me that the topic of age susceptibility is rarely if ever
spoken about and yet it seems to be such an important consideration in
the decision about the need for vaccinations.
We are not talking about breed susceptibility, we are talking about the
ages at which certain illnesses are more likely to manifest. For
example, measles and chicken pox are a childhood disease that if allowed
to be expressed while young are relatively benign. As the child grows
older, the susceptibility to these illnesses decreases. This is the
same with many of the animal vaccines. As a clinician it is very, very
uncommon to see distemper, parvo, parainfluenza, adenovirus,
panleukopenia, calicivirus, herpesvirus, and others in adult animals.
These seem to be most dangerous when the animal is young and their
immune system is not fully developed. When I see an adult with parvo or
distemper, it is frequently a purebred or has other immune dysfunction
or is likely poorly cared for. I do see a predominance of parvo and
distemper in young animals less than 6-8 months old, and less frequently
as they get closer to 1 year old.
My question is this: why are we vaccinating animals that have passed
the point of great susceptibility? Would it not be similar to humans
being vaccinated every year of our lives with chicken pox, measles,
diphtheria, whooping cough, hepatitis, tetanus, etc.?
The other question concerns the vaccination of diseases that are not
seen at all in a particular region, or that vaccines are not effective
against because the viruses have many different serovariants. For
example, leptospirosis. This is a vaccine that does not provide
long-lasting protection and will not provide cross-protection for all
the different strains of lepto. Then why are we using this? Coronavirus
is another vaccine enigma. Corona in dogs produces a mild, transient
diarrhea and it is known that the vaccine does not provide protection
against an infection with corona. Hardly worth the vaccine, isn't it?
Lepto is not seen in my area, so why are we vaccinating? I have seen
this practice with Lyme, Corona, Feline Leukemia, Feline Infectious
Peritonitis, and many equine vaccines. This seems to be an issue of
convenience since the manufacturers supply all over the country/world.
It also seems to fall into the category that the practice of injecting
viruses into a healthy body, or an unhealthy one for that matter, is a
benign process.

What Are the Adverse Reactions, If Any?

Unfortunately, adverse reactions to vaccines have been considered to be
the immediate hypersensitivity reactions of anaphylaxis. This severely
limits the types of reactions that are ever even considered to be
related to vaccines. Other problems surface which make accurate
tallying of adverse reactions difficult. At present time there are no
easy or effective reporting systems; many vets are reluctant to report
even those where an animal dies, and the cause-effect relationship is
not always clear. Even to those who believe that many of the illnesses
we see, both acute and chronic, are directly related to
over-vaccination, it is still at times difficult to show how this works.
There are many situations where the perfectly healthy puppy is taken
at 6 weeks for his first vaccines. Maybe he has a slight fever or lack
of appetite and energy for a day or so. Then he is returned 2 to 3
weeks later for more vaccines. Maybe he will show another fever or
maybe a day of diarrhea. Then he is returned in 2 or 3 weeks for more
vaccines. Maybe he starts to itch a bit. Often by the time the pup is 6
months old he has several problems going on. He often has loose stools
and he itches, but there are no fleas. Thus begins the first stages of
chronic illness brought on by the vaccines.
When a perfectly healthy individual is given viruses that cause illness,
the animal is going to manifest illness-related symptoms. This healthy
individual is asked to maintain a low-level stimulation of a state of
distemper, a low level state of parvo, a low level state of rabies, and
so on. As long as you are in a low level state of illness you are not
in a high level state of health. Therefore, the vaccines provide
protection by keeping the body in a diseased state of health. Often the
animal will not manifest the illness it is vaccinated for, at least not
in its acute form, but it will manifest in other conditions. Usually
these conditions are inherited weaknesses.
Chronic symptoms look very much like the acute illnesses but they are
often not life-threatening unless allowed to continue for years and years.

For distemper we often see:
# Watery fluid dripping from the nose
# Conjunctivitis, eye discharge, entropion
# Chronic gastritis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, appetite disorders
# Recurrent diarrhea
# Sensitivity to food with resultant diarrhea
# Epilepsy, rear leg paralysis, spondylitis
# Lip fold dermatitis
# Excessive licking of feet, eruptions between the toes, allergies
# Kennel cough, chronic bronchitis
# Chronic skin eruptions, especially lower half of body
# Failure to thrive, abnormally thin

For rabies we often see:
# Restless nature, suspicion of others, aggression to animals and
people
# Changes in behavior: aloofness, unaffectionate, desire to
roam, OR clingy, separation anxiety, 'velcro dog'
# Restraining can lead to violent behavior and self-injury
# Self-mutilation, tail chewing
# Voice changes, hoarseness, excessive barking
# Chronic poor appetite, very finicky
# Paralysis of throat or tongue, sloppy eaters, drooling
# Dry eye, loss of sight, cataract
# Eating wood, stones, earth, stool
# Destructive behavior, shredding bedding
# Seizures, epilepsy, twitching
# Increased sexual desire, sexual aggression
# Irregular pulse, heart failure
# Reverse sneezing

Some of the illnesses you are familiar with include any auto-immune
disease such as lupus, red cell aplasia, auto-immune hemolytic anemia
cardiomyopathies; neoplasias such as fibrosarcomas, mast cell tumors,
thyroid tumors, etc.; inflammatory bowel disease, eczematous ears, any
dermatological condition, warts, lipomas, poor hair coats, stomatitis,
periodontal disease, thyroid disease, and the list goes on and on.
Now you could be wondering why I am so bold to 'blame' all these and
more on vaccines. The reason is simple: I have an empirical, call it
experimental lab where I visit daily and watch the animals, year after
year. In the short years of my career I have seen the incredible
increase in all these illnesses, some we never even learned in vet
school. In fact, my vet school is now primarily an oncology treatment
center! This was not the case a short 20 years ago. I have also spoken
with many vets who have practiced longer than I and their response is
the same. They did not see the level of chronic illness, nor the
resistant and concretized type of illnesses that we see today.
Because I am able to use homeopathic remedies to help resolve these
effects of the vaccines I am able to see first hand the cause-effect
relationship. I have also looked at the info of those who have come
before me to help in this process. One such person was J. Compton
Burnett, a British physician of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Burnett
was a proponent of the smallpox vaccine until he started noticing that
the vaccines given to young people in the prime of their lives were
causing many 'other' health problems. He coined the term 'vaccinosis'
to describe the illnesses caused by vaccines, separate from the
illnesses they were protecting against. Much of what Burnett saw
closely resembles what we see today in our animals. This is interesting
how this human model is actually teaching us about what happens with
animals.
Burnett further verified his hypothesis by giving the homeopathic
remedy, Thuja, to many of these vaccinated individuals, as was described
by Hahnneman. He was able to reverse many of these harmful effects.
This is still a widely used remedy for the effects of vaccines.

Alternatives

Remember, the body has incredible capacity to provide protection against
all sorts of invaders. So, if our approach to protection is from the
standpoint of supporting the body in doing its job, which it already
knows how to do, we are working at a more fundamental level. If we
support the energy and physical systems of the body we will support the
immune system, not overload it. Clean hygiene, good nutrition, clean
water, plenty of exercise, constitutional treatments (preferably
homeopathic), good breeding practices, and homeopathic nosodes, where
needed. This all sounds very simplistic and, in fact, it is!
Should you decide to use nosodes they must be used under the guidance of
a qualified vet, just as with any medication. Nosodes are homeopathic
remedies made from the diseased products of whatever disease you are
wanting to protect against. For distemper, nasal discharge is used. For
parvo, fecal material is used. These are subsequently filtered, and
sterilized, diluted and succussed as any homeopathic remedy and are
administered orally. I use them starting at 7-9 weeks and continue for
the first year of life only. They cannot be used for rabies licensing.
Nosodes provide protection by stimulating a non-specific immunological
response. They fill the susceptibility the animal has to the disease
without actually producing antibodies. If that susceptibility is
filled, much like a cup of coffee to the brim, then nothing else can
come in and fill it up. You can't be over-susceptible. In my practice
nosodes are very effective with the exception of animals with chronic
illness and poor breeding practices. The primary nosodes I use are for
the life threatening diseases such as parvo, distemper, and
panleukopenia. I will also use bordatella for animals in kennel situations.

If You Do Vaccinate

If you choose to vaccinate, please be careful. My recommendations are
as follows: wait until 14 weeks for puppies and kittens, until the
maternal antibodies are no longer present. If you must use something
before 14 weeks, use nosodes; after 14 weeks, give one MLV
parvo/distemper combination for dogs; for cats, give one panleukopenia,
and one rabies vaccine at least two weeks after the above.
OR:
One distemper at 12 weeks, followed by one parvo at 14 weeks (these are
the single vaccines and are the best, but often difficult to find). All
other vaccines, except rabies, I cannot recommend, period.

Other Issues

We have yet to discuss the topic of rights, animal rights, and guardian
rights. This is one you can play with on your own.
Additionally, we have yet to talk about the laws that mandate rabies
requirements that don't reflect the current science. I hope to see
these laws changed as there is more info form the duration of immunity
studies. It will be up to the grassroots movement to initiate this as
most vet associations will not support a law that will hurt the
pocketbooks of the vets.
So, you can see there is quite a bit of info to assimilate, and there is
more! With this, I believe there is enough to shed some light on a
topic that even confuses most vets.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/froghol...accBlanco.html
Old February 4th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Avid Fan[_3_]

Char wrote:
Written by: Dee Blanco who is a holistic veterinarian practicing in
Santa Fe, New Mexico. She is listed under Altvetmed.

The questions surrounding the issue of veterinary vaccinations are many.
My intent is to open other doors of thought that might help you make
your decisions align with your animals well being, your lifestyle, your
left and right brain and most importantly - your heart. ... Because I
cannot completely separate from this topic, you will clearly hear my
bias, my emotions as well as my perspective from my years practicing
allopathy and subsequently homeopathy.

Homoeopathy? You would be more credible saying Witch doctor.

For those who do not know Samuel Hahnemann in 1796 proposed the idea of
taking a substance that was "supposed" to be good for the disease you
were treating and diluting it in water eg 1ml in 100ml then 1ml of that
solution in 100ml of water and so on a 100 times.

Each dilution is supposed to make the solution stronger (Sure try it
with your morning coffee, better yet I'll have a homoeopathic beer).
Anybody with high school chemistry and an understanding of Avagaro's
number would be able to tell you what the patient is geting in
homoeopathic treatments is expensive water.

[...]

Translation

Don't vaccinate your dog give it phoney baloney water

/Translation

- Yep that'll work.

It
is from this clinical standpoint as well as my own study of the
available info on vaccinations that I present my info. I am continually
compiling more info in my 'database', so if you would like to add
anything you might have, please feel free to send me your info.

The History of Vaccinations

The birth of vaccinations came when the English doctor Edward Jenner
discovered that the people who worked closely with cows seemed to be
less susceptible to smallpox. He injected small amounts of the smallpox
crusts into healthy individuals (including his own son) and found these
people to also be less susceptible to smallpox. Unfortunately, this
process may have fatally weakened his son and his son's friends, because
he died at the early age of 21 of tuberculosis.

You are kidding right? Where is the evidence these events are related?

How does challenging the immune system make it weaker?

Then, during the American Civil War, Louis Pasteur, an accomplished
microbiologist, was able to change the vaccines he was using enough that
some of the harmful effects were diminished. He was famous for his work
in cattle where he was able to prove that vaccines could protect against
the deadly disease, anthrax. Thus, he started the new field of medicine
called immunology. Pasteur also became famous for his concept of the
'germ theory'. This is still the theory modern medicine uses to explain
all illness. Thus we have created a 'war on bugs' that we seem to be
losing. It's interesting to note that on his deathbed Pasteur recanted
his prior work of blaming the microorganism. His last words were "seed
is nothing, soil is everything".

Bullshit - Hoax by Vaccine to HIV deniers.

"Well, I obtained a copy of Pasteur's biography, and to nobody's
surprise, he said no such thing. "

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/pasteur.htm

[...]

The vaccine deniers would have you believe that Smallpox and Polio just
suddenly decided to leave the planet of their own accord.

The very crude Salk vaccine was shown to be 70-90% effective in the
largest clinical trial in history involving 1.8 million children (Yes it
was placebo controlled). The placebo group was only about 200,000 and
1.2 million children that received no vaccination were monitored.

http://www.sph.umich.edu/about/polioannouncement.html

"In 1952 and 1953, the U.S. experienced an outbreak of 58,000 and 35,000
polio cases, respectively, up from a typical number of some 20,000 a year."

"the annual number of polio cases fell to 5,600 by 1957."(US)

"The disease was entirely eradicated in the Americas by 1994."

"1,652 cases in 2007" (Worldwide).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salk_Polio_Vaccine

You do the math.

[...]

No not true. The prefered method (though difficult to achieve) is a
third method - recombinant DNA vaccines. Only a few of the proteins
that are on surface of the Viral casing are useful in producing an
immune response every thing else is a potential source of side effects.

So you find the protein that makes the vaccine work. You find the RNA
or DNA sequence that codes for the Protein then you create a DNA
sequence splice it into something easy to grow like Ecoli or Yeast and
harvest the protein.

The protein never even comes in contact with the virus.

so that they are still recognized
by the body but are, theoretically, not able to cause the full blown
clinical disease. Typically, the chemical agent used to alter the virus
is formalin or formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.

In high doses yes. Formaldehyde in or bodies all the time, it is a
natural by product of cellular metabolism it is everywhere.

The grilling of meat produces formaldehyde. It comes out of the exhaust
pipe of your car and your gas stove. The minuscule amounts in a vaccine
left are not considered dangerous. Cite a link between vaccination and
cancer.

Attenuating the virus
so that it cannot attach to a cell wall and infect that cell is a good
idea, but not all the virus particles may be altered. Some may escape
attenuation and are free to cause disease. This may be part of the
reason that we see 'breaks' in vaccinated animals. There has also been
much speculation that these MLVs have shed into the environment,
exposing other animals, including wild animals, to these diseases.
Additional components of the vaccines are the preservatives that do what
preservatives do. These ingredients are also known in current medicine
to be carcinogenic agents, including a compound called thymersol, a
mercury derivative

Ah this old chestnut. Because of all scaremongering by the anti-vaccine
supporters thymersol was phased out of all child vaccines last one
removed in 1996. It is in dog vaccines, a dose of vaccine contains
about 12.5 micrograms. A serving of Mackerel about 73 micrograms,
Swordfish 97 micrograms.

You work out how dangerous it is.

and aluminum, used to attenuate the viruses. We all
know the possible effects of aluminum.

Better forgo your under arm deodorant, Aluminium cans and cookware.

Even the cells these viruses are grown on can produce allergic reactions
in the body. Some of the tissue lines used are from ducks, monkeys,
pigs, and the like. These could be creating much of the constant
itching, inflamed bowel, and eczematous ears that are so prevalent.
There are additional ingredients called adjuvants. These are foreig
proteins that are added to give a generic, non-specific immune response.
These proteins are proprietary (secret) info and are not given out to
anyone.

No they are patented and all patents can be read. Google adjuvants.

SNIP

TLDR
Old February 4th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

Avid Fan wrote:
Char wrote:
[...]

Not even close. Homeopathy is about stimulating the body to cure itself
by encouraging it to react to the symptoms.

Obviously you've not tried it or you would know it works. I've seen it
work right in front of me. I would not back it if I hadn't seen it work.

Each dilution is supposed to make the solution stronger (Sure try it
with your morning coffee, better yet I'll have a homoeopathic beer).
Anybody with high school chemistry and an understanding of Avagaro's
number would be able to tell you what the patient is geting in
homoeopathic treatments is expensive water.

Said the undeducated Fan.

Google "idiot".
Old February 4th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Avid Fan[_3_]

Char wrote:
Avid Fan wrote:
Char wrote:
[...]

Really? and how do they do it?

Obviously you've not tried it

Yep and I have not tried a Witch doctor either.

or you would know it works.

Well tell us - what do homoeopathic treatments entail?

I've seen it
work right in front of me. I would not back it if I hadn't seen it work.

Each dilution is supposed to make the solution stronger (Sure try it
with your morning coffee, better yet I'll have a homoeopathic beer).
Anybody with high school chemistry and an understanding of Avagaro's
number would be able to tell you what the patient is geting in
homoeopathic treatments is expensive water.

Said the undeducated Fan.

Spell check is your friend. Did you finish high school?

Old February 5th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

Avid Fan wrote:
Char wrote:
Avid Fan wrote:
Char wrote:
[...]

It is known as "like cures like". It is the very meaning of the word
homeopathy.

In the 1790s, Hahnemann undertook an experiment with Peruvian bark, the
source of quinine, which is now used to treat malaria. Twice a day he
gave himself a dose of quinine bark, and soon developed symptoms of
malaria. When he stopped taking the bark, the symptoms went away. He
theorized that the same substance, taken in smaller doses by someone
suffering from malaria, might stimulate the body to fight the disease.
Thus he developed the Principle of Similars, or "like cures like."

He then successfully experimented with other substances. He called his
new system homeopathy, from the Greek words homeo (similar) and pathos
(suffering or illness). Emphasis in homeopathy remains in the principle
of "like cures like," and the belief that the body's own healing and
regenerative capacity can be elicited to restore health.

http://www.drpelletier.com/TBAM/exce...athy_Like.html

Obviously you've not tried it

Yep and I have not tried a Witch doctor either.

And yet you comment on things you are clueless about. That's all I need
to know.

or you would know it works.

Well tell us - what do homoeopathic treatments entail?

For the remainder of his life, Hahnemann conducted experiments in which
he gave common herbal and medicinal substances to healthy people to see
what symptoms they produced. He also began testing his theory on sick
people. Hahnemann's subjects sometimes experienced dramatic and
uncomfortable symptoms, so he tried giving smaller and smaller doses, to
find the smallest amount of a substance that still produced its
characteristic effects. For sick people, Hahnemann found that highly
diluted remedies were not only less harmful, but also more effective.

Hahnemann's gentle new approach to medicine quickly spread in Europe,
and reached the United States in the 1820s. One of the main reasons for
the popularity of homeopathy was its success in treating the devastating
epidemics of the time. Death rates for some of these diseases were
markedly lower among patients treated in homeopathic hospitals.
According to contemporary homeopath Dana Ullman, author of Everybody's
Guide to Homeopathic Medicine and other books, during an 1849 cholera
epidemic in Cincinnati, only 3 percent of the patients treated
homeopathically died, compared with 40 to 70 percent among those treated
with conventional medicine.

Old February 6th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Avid Fan[_3_]

Char wrote:
Avid Fan wrote:
Char wrote:
Avid Fan wrote:
Char wrote:
[...]

Great, he stubbles on Quinine to treat Malaria but then he dilutes the
crap out of it until what he is really giving patients is water.

Obviously you've not tried it

Yep and I have not tried a Witch doctor either.

And yet you comment on things you are clueless about. That's all I need
to know.

or you would know it works.

Well tell us - what do homoeopathic treatments entail?

For the remainder of his life, Hahnemann conducted experiments in which
he gave common herbal and medicinal substances to healthy people to see
what symptoms they produced. He also began testing his theory on sick
people. Hahnemann's subjects sometimes experienced dramatic and
uncomfortable symptoms, so he tried giving smaller and smaller doses, to
find the smallest amount of a substance that still produced its
characteristic effects. For sick people, Hahnemann found that highly
diluted remedies were not only less harmful, but also more effective.

Highly diluted ? Isn't that what I said?

Highly diluted = Water

I will have my Homoeopathic beer now.

Hahnemann's gentle new approach to medicine quickly spread in Europe,
and reached the United States in the 1820s. One of the main reasons for
the popularity of homeopathy was its success in treating the devastating
epidemics of the time. Death rates for some of these diseases were
markedly lower among patients treated in homeopathic hospitals.
According to contemporary homeopath Dana Ullman, author of Everybody's
Guide to Homeopathic Medicine and other books, during an 1849 cholera
epidemic in Cincinnati, only 3 percent of the patients treated
homeopathically died, compared with 40 to 70 percent among those treated
with conventional medicine.

Even if it was true Medicine has moved along quite a bit since the 1800's.

Giving water to patients with Cholera is a good idea, patients with
Cholera die of dehydration.

I've seen it work right in front of me. I would not back it if I
hadn't seen it work.

Each dilution is supposed to make the solution stronger (Sure try it
with your morning coffee, better yet I'll have a homoeopathic beer).
Anybody with high school chemistry and an understanding of Avagaro's
number would be able to tell you what the patient is geting in
homoeopathic treatments is expensive water.

Said the undeducated Fan.

Spell check is still your friend.