Dog poisonings in Portland, OR

Old July 17th 03, 10:24 PM
Stafford A. Rau

Default Dog poisonings in Portland, OR

I don't know if this sad story has made any non-local news, but we've
had at least eight dogs who have died so far from what looks to be
poisoning, all of whom had visited Laurelhurst Park in Portland
between July 1st and July 9th.

I've seen some reports suggesting that the dogs may have ingested what
looked to be sausage-like chunks of meat laced with Paraquat, which is
a very nasty herbicide. I don't know how credible those reports are.

Here's a link to a story in the Oregonian, our local paper:

http://tinyurl.com/h9op

I think that no matter where you are, there are some people who just
are not worth the oxygen they consume.

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old July 17th 03, 10:28 PM
Gwen Watson

"Stafford A. Rau" wrote:http://tinyurl.com/h9op

Dreadful. How horrible and scary.

I think that no matter where you are, there are some people who just
are not worth the oxygen they consume.

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org

Isn't that the truth.

Gwen

Old July 18th 03, 06:48 PM
Dimpled Chad

On 18 Jul 2003, Stafford A. Rau opined:

When you say you have the other side of the story at your website,
does that mean you condone poisoning random dogs (who may or may not
have been inappropriately off leash) as a response to the actions of
some irresponsible owners?

You are obviously following this one issue very closely, as you do not
appear to have posted in the rec.pets.dogs.* hierarchy of groups
previously, and you seem to have thought it necessary and appropriate
to email me personally the URL of your one note website.

He emailed/spammed you with this? Hmm. That is weird.
This is a tragic story. Reminds me of some incidents in Chicago of people
putting rat-poison in hot-dogs in a popular park a few years ago.

Ugh.
Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

"Were it not for your active involvement, it's safe
to say my brother would not be president of the
United States," Fla. Gov. Jeb Bush to the NRA, 4/26/03

Old July 18th 03, 06:50 PM
Gwen Watson

Dimpled Chad wrote:

Reminds me of some incidents in Chicago of people
putting rat-poison in hot-dogs in a popular park a few years ago.

Ugh.
Chad

Shudder. This is all very scary. Fortunately I don't go to real dog parks
per say. I go to the lake which is off leash for all dogs but it is really
considered a people park. A park in which some people enjoy
bringing their dogs. But it is still very scary and concerning.

Gwen

Old July 18th 03, 07:14 PM
Stafford A. Rau

Dimpled Chad writes:

He emailed/spammed you with this? Hmm. That is weird.

Indeed. The entire email:

From: "Paul J. Berg"
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Stafford A. Rau"
Subject: Dog poisonings in Portland, OR
check out http://www.leashyourdog.com/

He has been a semi-regular poster on the group pdx.general (Portland
general discussion), but I don't do anything other than occasionally
lurk there, as the quality of discourse tends to be rather polarized.

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old July 18th 03, 09:20 PM
Cate

"Christy" wrote in message

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to alert the local authorities about
this website. If this poisoner is as irate about off-leash dogs as the
website owner, they have some other things in common.

FWIW, there's a statement condemning the poisonings on the site.

Cate

Old July 18th 03, 11:03 PM
Dimpled Chad

On 18 Jul 2003, sionnach opined:

"Stafford A. Rau" wrote in message
Dimpled Chad writes:

He emailed/spammed you with this? Hmm. That is weird.

I have to say, if this guy were in my area, I'd be calling the police
about
it. IOW I'd be telling them that he's suddenly come on the dog NGs in
conjunction with the poisonings.

I might consider that, or perhaps ask my neighborhood beat officer about it.
But, then again, the email that Stafford posted had a news id on it. I wonder
if he replied to one of Stafford's posts and simply mailed it on accident.

That seems possible to me...

Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

Nietzsche thought he was the Antichrist or Dionysus,
but that was after the syphilis crossed the
blood-brain barrier.