getting a Chihuahua

Old March 11th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
traveller

Default getting a Chihuahua

Hi everyone
I am looking for some advice . Hope I am in the correct group . We
will be getting a 2 year old male from a close friend . Due to a
change in our friends lifestyle they cannot spend the time with him
that he deserves .
The dog is a very loving and friendly dog . He currently has the run
of the house and sleeps with our friends .
he is also trained to go outside . We would like to have him so he
sleeps in a kennel or crate at night . Also if we need to leave him
for a short time or if we travel somewhere we would like him to be
used to sleeping in a crate .

Will this be a problem to retrain him . also what size and type of
crate should we get . We are retired so during the day he will be with
us and be free around the house .

we will not be getting the pooch until may1st . I thought we should
get a crate and take it to our friends house . They can start
introducing him to the crate for short periods of time . it may make
it easier for him .
thanks for any advice

Old March 12th 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"traveller" wrote

Hi everyone
I am looking for some advice . Hope I am in the correct group . We

You are.

will be getting a 2 year old male from a close friend . Due to a
change in our friends lifestyle they cannot spend the time with him
that he deserves .

That happens and bless him for passing his little one to another.

The dog is a very loving and friendly dog . He currently has the run
of the house and sleeps with our friends .
he is also trained to go outside . We would like to have him so he
sleeps in a kennel or crate at night . Also if we need to leave him
for a short time or if we travel somewhere we would like him to be
used to sleeping in a crate .

I'm not a real fan of crates but they aren't (when properly used) bad
things.

Will this be a problem to retrain him . also what size and type of
crate should we get . We are retired so during the day he will be with
us and be free around the house .

I don't know enough to address all the question but the size I can. He's
small so a small crate is what they say is right. Big enough to turn around
in comfortably but apparently not much bigger.

I had to check into that as my rescue dog was crate trained so we had to
follow suit at least at the start to make him comfortable. I googled 'crate
training' and used the rescue society (Humane society, SPCA etc) links.
Warning, there are a lot of crazy sites too so you may want to stick to the
more 'offical' ones.

we will not be getting the pooch until may1st . I thought we should
get a crate and take it to our friends house . They can start
introducing him to the crate for short periods of time . it may make
it easier for him .
thanks for any advice

Hehe as best as I recall, it was put the pooches favorite blanket in there
and leave the door *open* at the start. My gathered information in the end
of reading is the dog looks at it as their personal 'den of safety'. Kinda
like their own little personal home within yours? Total down time
relaxation as nothing can touch them without waking them first (once they
reach the closed door status).

The negatives had to do with never let them view it as a punishment. IE
never yell at them then put them in there.

Last part totally personal. My resistance to them is due to abuse of them
and that Don has never used them. It;s a sort of 'new idea' from his
viewpoint. He's the dog guy here in our house and I am learning still. He
resisted the cage strongly but i read him the web info and that we'd make
Cash uncomfortable if we just removed it right away. He agreed at last and
Cash had a cage/den for the first week or so, door open after 3 days and he
decided when *he* was ready to no longer use it. It's now on the porch
supporting several plants and has been for 2 years.

If your friends arent used to crates, they *may* object to you asking them
to bring one even over. I base that because I would have felt that way
before I learned more.

Old March 12th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
traveller

On Mar 11, 7:31*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input . We will be going to visit them next week and i
will bring the topic up . they are pretty open about most things so we
will see . its going to be an open adoption .(HEHE) they will see him
whenever they want . This will be interesting for sure .
Fran
Old March 13th 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"traveller"
"cshenk" wrote:

If your friends arent used to crates, they *may* object to you asking
them
to bring one even over. I base that because I would have felt that way
before I learned more.

Thanks for your input . We will be going to visit them next week and i
will bring the topic up . they are pretty open about most things so we
will see . its going to be an open adoption .(HEHE) they will see him
whenever they want . This will be interesting for sure .

I anticipate hearing lots of fun from your direction on this adoption! They
are sweet little ones and little care needed. They can for example get most
of the exercise they need just running about insde the house. Sure, they
like walks outside, but they don't have to have a 1 acre yard to run in or
be jogged for 45 mins a day etc.

I do know when we watch smaller dogs for friends (or younger ones than say
2) we need to let them go 'pee' more often in the yard. Our general scale
is about every 2 hours. Easy here as it's fully fenced back yard so we just
let them out for 5 mins or so and set the oven timer to buzz to remind us to
recover them (in nasty weather we wait and bring in right away).

Chester (a Peke we are watching for the weekend, see other thread) isnt much
bigger and so far he's happy to go pee every 2 hours or so while recovering
from being neutered. Chester is 11 months old. He's a known fellow who's
visited before and was taught to 'bark' at the back door if he needs out.
His normal scale is about 4 hours. Overnight though, he can hold for 8. Am
told Chester will bark if the occasional 'oops, gotta go' strikes but that
isnt normally something that happens. Probably like Cash who will wake Don
at 3am every 4-5 weeks with a 'sorry, just gotta go now' vice waiting until
his normal time of 6:30am.

Old March 13th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
traveller

On Mar 12, 7:04*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"traveller"

*"cshenk" wrote:
[...]

We are looking forward to this little guy . We had a yorkie for 13
years so we are used to the little dogs . Have not had one in 7 years
and we are now retired and not busy people so we can spend lots of
time with this guy . Our yorkie hated the car which made it hard but
this guy loves to go in the car . Should be fun
Old March 14th 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"traveller" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

We are looking forward to this little guy . We had a yorkie for 13
years so we are used to the little dogs . Have not had one in 7 years
and we are now retired and not busy people so we can spend lots of
time with this guy . Our yorkie hated the car which made it hard but
this guy loves to go in the car . Should be fun

I bet it will be!

Chester (visitor for the weekend) is still mostly playing speed bump though
not too bad. He's just not jumping about in normal style.
He played gently with some of the toys littering the house and communed with
the cat. Right now he napping nose to nose with Cash.

Old March 14th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
traveller

On Mar 13, 10:16*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"traveller" wrote

"cshenk" wrote:
We are looking forward to this little guy . We had a yorkie for 13
years so we are used to the little dogs . Have not had one in 7 years
and we are now retired and not busy people so we can spend lots of
time with this guy . Our yorkie hated the car which made it hard but
this guy loves to go in the car . Should be fun

I bet it will be!

Chester (visitor for the weekend) is still mostly playing speed bump though
not too bad. *He's just not jumping about in normal style.
He played gently with some of the toys littering the house and communed with
the cat. *Right now he napping nose to nose with Cash.

How many dogs do you have . Hope Chico won't be too sad when he comes
to live with us . They say dogs live in the moment but i don't believe
that . I think they miss things when its gone. He will be confused
when we fist get him
Old March 14th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"traveller" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Chester (visitor for the weekend) is still mostly playing speed bump
though
not too bad. He's just not jumping about in normal style.
He played gently with some of the toys littering the house and communed
with
the cat. Right now he napping nose to nose with Cash.

How many dogs do you have.

Just one but we reviewed a second to add that didnt turn out compatible with
the existing one. Chester above is just with us for the weekend, maybe
Monday. (He just got snipped and his buddy Peke was licking the stitches).
He's looking almost feisty today though not jumping or running much.
Playful but careful with how he sits as you'd imagine.

Hope Chico won't be too sad when he comes
to live with us . They say dogs live in the moment but i don't believe
that . I think they miss things when its gone. He will be confused
when we fist get him

He'll be sad and confused yes, especially if he's not used to spending the
night elsewhere now and again. Chester for example is used to here but
confused that his buddy peke isnt here too. But, he's happy to see his
furry feline friend Daisy and his big brother friend Cash.

Joe (Chester's owner) came over this morning to play with him a bit and to
take fresh 'Chester smell' back home.

Would a less abrupt shift work better? Like Chico comes over for a few
hours on a weekend with the current owners first?

Old March 14th 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
traveller

On Mar 14, 12:15*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"traveller" wrote

"cshenk" wrote:
[...]

i was thinking that . they need to go to a party next saturday so i
thought it may be good for Chico to come here while they were away
Old March 15th 10, 07:49 PM
twitter twitter is offline
Banned

Getting a nice little chiuawa it's very nice. they are very nice