New owner... Is it the right time for me?

Old March 28th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
IMAFriend

Default New owner... Is it the right time for me?

Hello. I am considering getting a dog. Brother in law has some
puppies, a month old, the mom is a very very tame dog. The mom is
half chihuahua and half pug, not sure what the dad is, I think
similar. Very well behaved.

I have two children, a girl 7 years old and a boy 5 years old. Both
have been scared of dogs (animals) most of their lives, but this is
the first dog they've liked. And they visited the puppies today and
liked them.

I live in Southern California, and I know at least in this area, when
you walk the dog in public, you pick up the mess. I don't know if
this is the 'standard' around the country or not. We don't have a big
back yard. We have cement, and a fenced pool. We have a front yard
that is grass, but not much. (Downside to California, small lots.)

So, I guess my questions would be... What are my biggest concerns
about new puppy ownership? What is the 'cost' of ownership? What are
the biggest expenses?

My personal preference has always been a larger dog, but short hair...
Like a labrador or something. Short hair is easier to maintain. (I
think.) But these little dogs are available and seem tame enough.

Tips? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
IMA-Thinkingaboutit.
Old March 28th 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"IMAFriend" wrote

Hello. I am considering getting a dog. Brother in law has some
puppies, a month old, the mom is a very very tame dog. The mom is
half chihuahua and half pug, not sure what the dad is, I think
similar. Very well behaved.

Puggles I think they are called.

I have two children, a girl 7 years old and a boy 5 years old. Both
have been scared of dogs (animals) most of their lives, but this is
the first dog they've liked. And they visited the puppies today and
liked them.

Well behaved is a matter of training. It means on all sides so you have to
teach the kids what to do and not do. The 5YO is going to need the most
assistance to deal with a small puppy so the puppy isn't hurt.

I live in Southern California, and I know at least in this area, when
you walk the dog in public, you pick up the mess. I don't know if
this is the 'standard' around the country or not. We don't have a big
back yard. We have cement, and a fenced pool. We have a front yard
that is grass, but not much. (Downside to California, small lots.)

Smile, walk dog in front of your own yard. Clean up.

I've seen pet adaptions for back areas like yours. Just a sort of quick pee
place. Low simple flats about 4 inches high with grass in them and a weed
wacker used. Dunno if they work well for you.

So, I guess my questions would be... What are my biggest concerns
about new puppy ownership? What is the 'cost' of ownership? What are
the biggest expenses?

Time will be your biggest 'cost of ownership'. A small dog (and all
puppies) need to get out more often to pee. They generally have a problem
holding it all night long before age 5 months (some are better). If your
spouse and you both work, you have a daycare issue for a puppy.

My personal preference has always been a larger dog, but short hair...
Like a labrador or something. Short hair is easier to maintain. (I
think.) But these little dogs are available and seem tame enough.

With your yard issues, smaller may be better.

Old March 28th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jon Danniken

IMAFriend wrote:

I live in Southern California, and I know at least in this area, when
you walk the dog in public, you pick up the mess. I don't know if
this is the 'standard' around the country or not.

Always, and everywhere. I bring several grocery plastic bags, within each
one are several sandwich baggies. I use the sandwich baggies as "gloves",
then invert them after the pick up, and place them in the grocery bag, and
tie it with a knot.

Bring a few in case you have multiple occurrences.

Jon

Old March 28th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:08:47 -0700 (PDT), IMAFriend
wrote:

Hello. I am considering getting a dog. Brother in law has some
puppies, a month old, the mom is a very very tame dog. The mom is
half chihuahua and half pug, not sure what the dad is, I think
similar. Very well behaved.

How big is the father of the puppies? That will help predict the size
of the pups when they're full grown.

I have two children, a girl 7 years old and a boy 5 years old. Both
have been scared of dogs (animals) most of their lives, but this is
the first dog they've liked. And they visited the puppies today and
liked them.

I live in Southern California, and I know at least in this area, when
you walk the dog in public, you pick up the mess. I don't know if
this is the 'standard' around the country or not.

You should always, always pick up after your dog when in public or on
any property not your own - the park, someone else's tree lawn, etc.
In your own yard too, of course, but it's considered rude and
inconsiderate to not pick up one's dog's poop in public. If enough
people are rude and inconsiderate, the result can be dogs being banned
from various public places.

We don't have a big
back yard. We have cement, and a fenced pool. We have a front yard
that is grass, but not much. (Downside to California, small lots.)

I'm again wondering how big the father of the puppies is for purposes
of exercise requirements. A toy-sized dog can easily get enough
exercise running around even a small back yard. Neighborhood walks
are good for socialization and to give your dog a change of scenery.

So, I guess my questions would be... What are my biggest concerns
about new puppy ownership? What is the 'cost' of ownership? What are
the biggest expenses?

The biggest expense is vet bills - not so much the yearly well dog
visits, vaccinations, heartworm check and preventative, but unforeseen
illnesses. The only thing you can do for that is to have a little
savings account or purchase insurance. I have no idea what vet bills
run in California, but you might want to contact a local vet or two
and ask what the cost would be for the annual exam, vaccinations,
heartworm test and preventative, and perhaps flea/tick treatment. Ask
about spay/neuter cost too, as you'll want to have that done.

My personal preference has always been a larger dog, but short hair...
Like a labrador or something. Short hair is easier to maintain. (I
think.) But these little dogs are available and seem tame enough.

I prefer big dogs too. However, a smaller dog would do better in a
small yard, and if your kids have been afraid of dogs in the past,
they would be more comfortable with a smaller dog.

Tips? Comments? Suggestions?

There are all kinds of resources out there for puppy housebreaking,
training, etc. I am a huge Ian Dunbar fan and would look into his
books and videos.

Old March 28th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:46:06 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"IMAFriend" wrote

Hello. I am considering getting a dog. Brother in law has some
puppies, a month old, the mom is a very very tame dog. The mom is
half chihuahua and half pug, not sure what the dad is, I think
similar. Very well behaved.

Puggles I think they are called.

Puggles are Pug/Beagle crosses.

Old March 29th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"IMAFriend" wrote in message
[...]

You'll need to keep your puppy indoors and be home for part of the
day.
You'll have to consider the cost of vet fees, neutering, regular worming
and flea treatment. You can take out an insurance for vet fees.
Who will look after your dog when you're on holiday and how much will that
cost?
Where is your brother in law keeping the puppies now? Ideally thay should
be inside his house and not in a garage. If he is keeping them inside they
will be used to all the household noises such as washing machines and
hoovers and be used to living with people so they should make ideal pets.
Keep visiting the pup so he is used to you and consider taking him home
when he is about 8 weeks old.
Puppies are hard work. The need training.
Breeds such as labs need a lot of exercise at least an hour a day where as
dogs such as pugs will be happy with less. (that's not to say they don't
enjoy going walkies!)
Two books I recommend are
Puppy School by gwen baily.
http://www.amazon.com/Puppy-School-S...9885618&sr=1-3

Puppy training for kids by Sarah Whitehead
http://www.amazon.com/Puppy-Training.../dp/0764119400

( I've not read the book below)

http://www.amazon.com/Puppys-First-S...9885843&sr=1-2

Old March 29th 10, 07:18 PM
Ozzy29 Ozzy29 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAFriend View Post
[...]

Sounds like really cute puppies.
Yes cleaning up after your pet is the law in most places but you do co this no
matter what the law says.
Your area probably has various other laws that you should investigate including, tagging and walking the animal.
If you really want to get one of these puppies you should take some time and do as much research as you can. Puppies are great and your yard sounds fine, but you should also think about how much time you have to dedicate to socializing and training the little guy.
Training takes time and patience, and you have to train every day not just go to a class once a week for an hour.
Keep us posted on what you decide.
Old March 30th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_2_]

IMAFriend wrote:

Hello. I am considering getting a dog. Brother in law has some
puppies, a month old, the mom is a very very tame dog. The mom is
half chihuahua and half pug, not sure what the dad is, I think
similar. Very well behaved.

An odd mix. The behavior you describe is more like a pug than a
chihuahua. Which is to the good. I prefer the behavior of pugs over
chihuahuas. The only dog I have been truly scared of was a chihuahua.
However while I like the personality of pugs, and they are less fragile
than chihuahuas, they can be prone to breathing (the short nose)
problems, and joint (hip displasia) problems. Check on the health of the
mother.

I have two children, a girl 7 years old and a boy 5 years old. Both
have been scared of dogs (animals) most of their lives, but this is
the first dog they've liked. And they visited the puppies today and
liked them.

With the mix you are suggesting I would be more concerned about how the
kids treat the dogs, than the dogs hurting the kids. Your children are a
little young to normally be trusted around dogs. It can vary, but I
normally think of children becoming responsible enough to handle dogs as
occuring somewhere between ages six and eight. I tend to err more on the
side of caution the smaller the dog will be. Pay close attention to how
your children behave around the dogs before you take one home.

I live in Southern California, and I know at least in this area, when
you walk the dog in public, you pick up the mess. I don't know if
this is the 'standard' around the country or not. We don't have a big
back yard. We have cement, and a fenced pool. We have a front yard
that is grass, but not much. (Downside to California, small lots.)

An owner, regardless of the law, should be considerate of others and
always try to clean up. Be aware that smaller dogs typically take longer
to house train. Your setup will make this more difficult, but not
impossible. Try to be patient with any dog you adopt on this issue.

So, I guess my questions would be... What are my biggest concerns
about new puppy ownership? What is the 'cost' of ownership? What are
the biggest expenses?

The biggest cost is normally of time. Dogs shoul have at least two hours
of human activity a day, whalking, play, feeding, training, etc. Puppies
need a bit more time than adults to properly socialize them and
housetrain them. In particular they need to be taken out several times
at night until they are housetrained.

My personal preference has always been a larger dog, but short hair...
Like a labrador or something. Short hair is easier to maintain. (I
think.) But these little dogs are available and seem tame enough.

Lab hair lies flat, but is not particularly short. More medium length.
Greyhounds, pugs, and pitbulls have truly short hair. Short hair is
less visible, but more likely to penetrate into the weave, becoming
harder to clean up. Larger dogs are likely to be less rambunctious and
more tolerant of abuse by kids, but there are no guarantees and the
larger the dog to more serious the potential injuries to a child.

Tips? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
IMA-Thinkingaboutit.

Take your time.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old April 3rd 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
news[_7_]

"IMAFriend" wrote in message
Hello. I am considering getting a dog. Brother in law has some
puppies, a month old, the mom is a very very tame dog. The mom is
half chihuahua and half pug, not sure what the dad is, I think
similar.

Tell your relative to get the dog spayed so they stop producing weird mixed
breeds. Your local shelters are full of similar dogs.

Old April 4th 10, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 3/28/2010 12:46 PM, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

The biggest expense is vet bills

Only if you feed a commercial crap in a bag.

- not so much the yearly well dog
visits, vaccinations, heartworm check and preventative, but unforeseen
illnesses.

Which happen much less frequently when feeding a species appropriate diet.

The only thing you can do for that is to have a little
savings account or purchase insurance. I have no idea what vet bills
run in California, but you might want to contact a local vet or two
and ask what the cost would be for the annual exam, vaccinations,

Which cause illnesses too.
http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/...ineDamage.html

heartworm test and preventative,

A preventative is not needed for a raw fed dog.

and perhaps flea/tick treatment.

You mean pesticides? Not needed. There are healthier and cheaper ways of
dealing with fleas. And raw fed dogs tend to have less or no fleas anyway.

Ask
about spay/neuter cost too, as you'll want to have that done.

It has it's risks like any surgery and some choose not to have it done
at all.
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/646838