[OT] Attn Users of news.cis.dfn.de

Old July 18th 03, 12:43 AM
Dimpled Chad

Default [OT] Attn Users of news.cis.dfn.de

I can not substantiate the veracity of this post, but pointing a webbrowser
to news.cis.dfn.de seems to suggest that it is accurate. I've not read over
the new pages yet, but it might be good for users of "the german server" to
re-read the information at http://news.cis.dfn.de. You may need to change
your access accordingly.

CF:

This change may explain why some users have not received prompt return info
from them of late.

Regards,
Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody's
out to get you.

Old July 18th 03, 06:14 AM
Lee.DeRaud

On 17 Jul 2003 23:43:21 GMT, Dimpled Chad
wrote:

I can not substantiate the veracity of this post, but pointing a webbrowser
to news.cis.dfn.de seems to suggest that it is accurate. I've not read over
the new pages yet, but it might be good for users of "the german server" to
re-read the information at http://news.cis.dfn.de. You may need to change
your access accordingly.

CF:

Ok, that didn't work...are you talking about the 'news.individual.net'
name they're using now? They're not even consistent about it: the
config info for Agent says to point it at 'news.individual.net' but
the screen shots still show the old 'news.cis.dfn.de' name. And (at
least as of tonight) the two names resolve to the same IP address.
Does it cost anything extra for them to maintain two entries in the
name server?

Lee
Old July 18th 03, 07:24 AM
Rocky

Dimpled Chad said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This change may explain why some users have not received
prompt return info from them of late.

I had heard that news.cis.dfn.de was going back to its roots of
being a news server for faculty, staff, students, and all
friends of the university.

I believe that current subscribers are not affected but new
subscribers will have to use news.individual.net. I checked
that news service earlier today, using rpd.behavior for
reference, and it was identical.

Old July 18th 03, 12:22 PM
Dimpled Chad

On 18 Jul 2003, Lee.DeRaud opined:

Ok, that didn't work...are you talking about the 'news.individual.net'
name they're using now? They're not even consistent about it: the
config info for Agent says to point it at 'news.individual.net' but
the screen shots still show the old 'news.cis.dfn.de' name. And (at
least as of tonight) the two names resolve to the same IP address.
Does it cost anything extra for them to maintain two entries in the
name server?

I think that's what I'm talking about. I ran across the referenced note in
one of the news related newsgroups, and it talks about how dfn.de is using
the news.individual.net name now...

Anyway, as Matt posted, if its not affecting anyone yet we might get to stay
put. I'm not at all sure, and I just wanted to give people a heads up.

Chad

Old July 18th 03, 12:23 PM
Dimpled Chad

On 18 Jul 2003, Rocky opined:

Dimpled Chad said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This change may explain why some users have not received
prompt return info from them of late.

I had heard that news.cis.dfn.de was going back to its roots of
being a news server for faculty, staff, students, and all
friends of the university.

I believe that current subscribers are not affected but new
subscribers will have to use news.individual.net. I checked
that news service earlier today, using rpd.behavior for
reference, and it was identical.

*nod* Okay. I'm not sure how the difference is going to work. I'll keep my
eye on it.

Chad