Crate Training

Old April 16th 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Crate Training

It seems all the rage now. What did people do before and what is different?

Old April 16th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
starcat

"cshenk" wrote in message
It seems all the rage now. What did people do before and what is
different?

Back in the old days, when I had my first dog, I confined her to one room
when she wasn't with me, and I had her on a potty schedule. I never did the
paper training thing, as that seemed like it would just prolong the process.
She had accidents, but not many. Chewing became a much bigger issue, and if
crate training was used back then, it would have been a very good thing for
her. As much as I tried to pup-proof her room, she always managed to find
something bad to chew and sometimes eat.

Now decades later, with my second dog, I had to learn all about the wonders
of the crate.

Old April 16th 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
It seems all the rage now. What did people do before and what is
different?

In the really old, "good" old days, people pegged their dogs out in the yard
on a chain, with a water dish and a wooden dog house (or not!). No need for
crates then, as dogs weren't allowed in the house anyway.

When my parents had dogs (very seldom and they didn't last long), they
confined them to the laundry room or a bathroom while "training" them. They
paper trained the dog, and once the dog had some control, they taught it to
potty outside. They rubbed dogs noses in the messes, and thought they were
doing the right thing. They also smacked dogs, and thought nothing about
tying a dog up all day long outside. It would never occur to them to take a
dog in the car with them!

I am so glad that times have changed.

Phyrie

Old April 16th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

It seems all the rage now. What did people do before and what is
different?

It's been the rage for many, many years now, Carol.

Grin, probably. Wasnt known when I or Don were kids (or wasnt common).

Some misguided souls still frown on them, because they think they're
"cruel,"; and they have an irrational fear of inanimate metallic
objects. They never take the time to learn how to use them properly,
and humanely, and still reap the rewards.

I don't think they are cruel when used right. Although we put Cash's out in
the porch finally (making space, he hadnt used it in ages), he did in fact
like it at the start weeks with us. It was his little 'stress free cant
mess with me' 'home' for at night as he was trained to use and enjoy by the
foster family before he came to us.

We didnt use it for control during the day (it was there with the door open
and largely ignored). His main use at first with us during the day was to
tuck favored toys in there. Then it really occured to our sweet airhead
that there were no other dogs messing with his toys so he just had to keep
them out from under foot. He stores them under the rocking chair now ;-)

Meantime, http://www.123wholesaleuk.co.uk/staf...ullmastiff.jpg is
very close to Cash's body and neck build but make the legs a bit shorter and
add a beagle head that proportionally matches the body.

I'm working on the digital camera issue this weekend (grin).

Old April 16th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"starcat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Back in the old days, when I had my first dog, I confined her to one room
when she wasn't with me, and I had her on a potty schedule. I never did
the paper training thing, as that seemed like it would just prolong the
process.

Definately a schedule seems right. Paper training was an odd one used for a
time. I think some folks still do it but it doesnt sound very sensible to
me. Just take'em out.

She had accidents, but not many. Chewing became a much bigger issue, and
if crate training was used back then, it would have been a very good thing
for her. As much as I tried to pup-proof her room, she always managed to
find something bad to chew and sometimes eat.

Now decades later, with my second dog, I had to learn all about the
wonders of the crate.

Grin!

Old April 17th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

A truly helpful and humane tool, in my opinion.

On the other hand, they, like any other tool, can be abused. A crate
is not a dog house. And a dog should only spend a limited amount of
time inside one. During the night, as a puppy (until reliably
house-trained), for short periods of time during the day, to rest or
sleep, when the owner can't keep on eye on him, or to sleep in at
night, with the door left open.

That matches. Cash slept with door closed when we first got him, based on
foster parents advice that he was used to that. We didnt want to change
anything that didnt *have* to be right away. After about a week, we left
the door open. It was a week or so later that he decided he liked the floor
of the bedroom better and dragged his 'blankie' out there.

We also crated him in the early days if we were going to be gone for 2 hours
or more (he was still relearning housebreaking rules then).

Now, although it is rare, he's sometimes home alone (him and the cat) all
day when I'm at work, Charlotte is in school, and Don's off fishing or
working on his friend's boat. This happens perhaps once every 2-3 months.
He needs no crate, being well behaved. We'd still have it inside though if
he used it at all as a safe zone 'Cash Cave'.

When do we pull it back in? Cash feels more comfortable in it when
hurricanes (or trailers of them) blast though. We bring it in then and
leave the door open.

Old April 19th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
It seems all the rage now. What did people do before and what is
different?

I have one for Dibby for long car journeys but its kept in the living
room and he hides his chews and toys in it. Sometimes he sleeps in it. I
rarely shut him in it, usually when we have workmen in and the doors are
open.
We used to use baby playpens for puppies or keep older dogs confined in
one room with a baby gate.
I'm sure crates have been around for some years , perhaps as travel
crates rather than for indoor use.
Alison

Old April 19th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Alison" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

It seems all the rage now. What did people do before and what is
different?

I have one for Dibby for long car journeys but its kept in the living
room and he hides his chews and toys in it. Sometimes he sleeps in it. I
rarely shut him in it, usually when we have workmen in and the doors are
open.

Makes sense! Yes, once we used Cash-pup's 'Cash cave' (as opposed to 'man
cave') that way.

We used to use baby playpens for puppies or keep older dogs confined in
one room with a baby gate.
I'm sure crates have been around for some years , perhaps as travel
crates rather than for indoor use.

Ok! Yes, 'shipping dog containers' been around as long as I can recall.

Old April 23rd 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"cshenk" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

It seems all the rage now.

Rage now? I've been proselytizing them for years and junped on
the "fad" about 15 years ago.

I look after many dogs and have open crates all over my house.
Sometimes they get closed, not often. Usually, dogs seek tham
out as a comfortable place to hang out in the middle of a lot of
action.

What did people do before and

Before, I'm not sure. But, when I was very young, my parents'
mini Poodles went to a "farm" because they apparently couldn't
be housetrained. Knowing what I do now, those dogs would have
been housetrained quickly. I have had a lot of success with
many puppies.

what is different?

What is different is that dog owners now generally understand
dog behaviour and needs and hopefully don't confuse those needs
with misguided and anthropomorphic notions.
--
--Matt.

Potty Training/Crate Training MoneyB Dog behavior 2 September 21st 05 06:13 PM
re-crate training a little dog Liz Dog behavior 1 November 16th 04 12:06 PM
Crate re-training Marie Dog behavior 0 March 31st 04 05:48 AM
Crate Training Cin Dog behavior 21 October 1st 03 08:06 AM
Crate Training Cin Dog behavior 0 September 30th 03 11:17 AM