Labradoodles

Old July 18th 03, 02:22 PM
Leah

Default Labradoodles

Got one in an advanced class. I don't condone a mixed breed passed off as a
purebred, but this is one cool dog. Mulligan looks like a standard poodle with
weird fur. It's straighter than a poodle's, but still long and wavy. He truly
does seem to have the best characteristics of both breeds. Very playful and
energetic like a young lab, but without the prerequisite brain explodiations.
Intelligent guy, listens even when it looks like he's not listening, quick and
clever. Plus the general all-around life-of-the-party attitude of labs - never
met a stranger, human or canine.

I know you can't breed one labradoodle to another and get the same dog, but do
labs and poodles always produce the same characteristics? Do they always look
the same, have similar temperaments, etc.?

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old July 18th 03, 02:34 PM
Suja

Leah wrote:
I know you can't breed one labradoodle to another and get the same dog, but do
labs and poodles always produce the same characteristics? Do they always look
the same, have similar temperaments, etc.?

I have seen about 6 so far, and 1 sounds exactly as you described,
except she was very jumpy and mouthy. They all sort of hand the same
kind of hair that you described, but the looks and the body structure
varied a great deal, as did the personalities. One was a 6 month old
puppy, and the gait is any indication, is sure to have some *serious*
hip problems.

Suja
Old July 18th 03, 03:52 PM
Sionnach

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote:

You may and up with a dog that looks/acts
like a poodle, to a dog that looks/acts like a lab, to a dog that looks
poodle/acts lab or vice versa. Or any mix somewhere in the square.

Give the man a prize. That's EXACTLY what I see in the numerous
Labradoodles that have come to the park. A couple are as Leah describes, but
some combine unpleasant characteristics of both breeds, such as the
insensitivity and denseness of the worst sort of Lab combined with the
Poodle tendency to bully and harass other dogs.

Old July 18th 03, 04:05 PM
Sionnach

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote:

I wonder how many generations it would take to get a consistent
temperment?

Dunno, but I don't see it happening. To have it happen, it seems to me that
the "breeders" would have to track the dogs as they mature, make sure that
the ones with the correct temperaments stay intact and the ones with
incorrect temperaments are neutered, and do the same with each following
generation.
Given that the "breeders" are
A. marketing to the general pet public, most of whom neuter (all the LDs I
know are)
B. in some (many) cases, jumping on the LD bandwagon with whatever Labs and
Poodles they have handy (IOW, dogs who may not have correct temperaments for
*either* breed)
C. Not, AFAICT, tending to follow up with their customers

it seems unlikely to me that they'll manage to "fix" the temperament.

Not to mention the equally important issue of trying to eliminate the
various and DIFFERENT genetic issues that affect the two breeds... as in
Suja's encounter with a pup who evidently inherited CHD from the Lab parent.
:-P

Old July 18th 03, 08:22 PM
sionnach

wrote

We have a lot of poodles in our classes, and I've known hundreds...
toys, miniatures, standards. Can't think of _one that ever bullied or
harassed other dogs. shrug

What Poodles do in a class situation - even a
class situation that incorporates free play- hasn't got a whole lot of
relation to what an untrained, poorly-trained, and/or uncontrolled one will
do when running free.
That goes for any breed, btw- I'm willing to bet you don't get many Labs
knocking toddlers flying and biting people in attempts to snatch things out
of their hands, Pit Bulls ripping other dogs to shreds, Aussies and BCs
attacking bicycle tires and charging joggers, etc., in your classes,
either. G

Old July 18th 03, 08:46 PM
Holier Than Thou

"peejoe" wrote in
:

There was a 8 month old standard poodle in Ender's puppy class one
day,
and it seemed to act like a bully to me. Ender was intimidated by
him, as were most of the other pups and it spent the entire class
eyeballing and growling at the other pups. When it was time for
"recess" he did more of the same and basically ended up with every
other pup hiding behind their people. I don't know if they are all
like that, but that one wasn't much fun to be around.

The ones at our club are all rather intolerant dogs. Most are not problem
dogs. Although there is one who attemtped to attack kavik at least 6 times
in agility 4 class.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK
Old July 18th 03, 08:48 PM
Tricia9999

Shortly after bringing him home,
my friend discovered that her pup had serious digestive issues. He could
barely keep any sort of food down and didn't have a solid stool for
months.

Of course, this could be describing a lot of GSDs or Poodles too.

He also had entropion, so his
eyelids were fixed at the same time.

And this could be describing a lot of Shar-Peis and ???others

Loved to go to the dog park and play with the other dogs.
Recently, he has started growling and barking at people AND dogs.

And this could be describing any number of dogs who aren't comfortable at dog
parks - Dalmatians, BCs, etc, etc.