More Muttley Video Clips

Old May 5th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

Default More Muttley Video Clips

Here are the latest clips of Muttley's adventures. Enjoy!

Muttley in the fenced area and a 360 degree pan of the woods around the
meadow at the top of the hill behind my house, about 60 feet above the road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SNhWe7v_Lw

Muttley the Canine Weed Whacker. Enjoying a salad of grass and weeds along
the fence. He is also telling me that he wants to continue our walk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmFV38OhV64

Muttley Eats Poison Ivy. "Never Kiss A Dog On The Lips!" This was shot
today, and he was wearing the Anti-pull harness I got from Walmart for about
$10. At least it helps keep the leash from getting tangled under his legs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6D3AhGDIo

Muttley Barfs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-b4gEqS_k

Muttley and the Utility Crew. We watch the BGE crew finish installation of
the steel guy wire pole next to my big old White Oak tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFA6Hr8-s-g

Muttley and Uphill Pull. From the bottom section of the property, I ask
Muttley to go up the steep access road, and he does so eagerly. Then at my
direction we take a side path into the woods by the stream, and back to the
access road, where he stops to scratch an itch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfQR5hZfrlk

In this final clip, Muttley and I go down the upper access road and take a
shortcut to the lower access road. Muttley is very interested in the BGE
crew who are walking on the main road, and he stops often to check them out.
He does a good job as a watchdog, but defers to me as I assure him there is
no need to be concerned. He will often bark and try to lunge at people on
the road, but not in this instance. Then we finish our walk as I go to check
my mail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkZPE1Lp6c

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

PS: Dogman, try to keep it civil, and maybe your BP won't spike so much. Or
even better, don't post at all, or put me in your bozo bin (please!). You
just cause arguments, which is NOT a valid way to rejuvenate RPDB. Quality
trumps quantity...

Old May 7th 10, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

I added two more clips which are taken with my hard-hat-cam as I first made
it with a camera mount on the visor. I have since put the mount on top where
it has a better angle and may be better balanced. Here are the latest clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex36VFrH5RI

Warning: Bad Barbershop singing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ik65__sgRY

Or just go to my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulAndMuttley

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old May 7th 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 5 May 2010 17:42:35 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
wrote:

Here are the latest clips of Muttley's adventures. Enjoy!

Muttley Barfs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-b4gEqS_k

And here I edited *out* the footage of Oksana taking a dump on her
snow fun video.

Sheesh.

Old May 7th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Paul E. Schoen" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkZPE1Lp6c

Good negative example of attention work. Towards the end
(2:40), Muttley doesn't respond to Paul's "c'mon, Muttley,
c'mon". Paul says "Hey" and Muttley pays attention. But no
reward or praise. I'd be doing handstands and playing with my
dog at this point.

Paul, it's not a big deal to praise your dog and to get silly
with him. Like many others, you seem to have difficulty
recognising at which points you should reward.

--
--Matt.
Old May 7th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 07 May 2010 14:43:08 -0400, Dogman wrote:

On 7 May 2010 17:53:36 GMT, Rocky wrote:

"Paul E. Schoen" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkZPE1Lp6c

Good negative example of attention work. Towards the end
(2:40), Muttley doesn't respond to Paul's "c'mon, Muttley,
c'mon". Paul says "Hey" and Muttley pays attention. But no
reward or praise. I'd be doing handstands and playing with my
dog at this point.

Paul, it's not a big deal to praise your dog and to get silly
with him. Like many others, you seem to have difficulty
recognising at which points you should reward.

I think it was Phyrie, or maybe Sally, who first said that Muttley
seemed "disconnected," and I agreed.

Phyrie said it first and I agreed; I think it's an excellent
description. I can't recall having seen a dog that fails to respond
to his name to that degree.

Old May 7th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 07 May 2010 16:54:32 -0400, Dogman wrote:

On Fri, 07 May 2010 16:34:45 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

Phyrie said it first and I agreed; I think it's an excellent
description. I can't recall having seen a dog that fails to respond
to his name to that degree.

In Muttley's defense, and if those videos are any indication, over the
past 4 years, there's probably no dog that's heard his name as often
as Muttley has.

Whenever a dog hears his name, it should connote something special,
and serve as a cue to look at his owner, otherwise it eventually
becomes just another word.

Certainly it's not Muttley's fault. I said in my initial comments on
the videos that I routinely chat to my dogs, so they might ignore the
"blah blah blah" from me, but they don't ignore their names or command
words. Heck, even the newest rescue, who's only been here 6 weeks,
doesn't ignore her name.

My hope is that Paul is not just posting all this video so he can show
us all the stuff he knows he's doing wrong but doesn't care enough to
correct. I hope he will actually take some advice.

Old May 7th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote
sighthounds & siberians wrote:

Phyrie said it first and I agreed; I think it's an excellent
description. I can't recall having seen a dog that fails to respond
to his name to that degree.

In Muttley's defense, and if those videos are any indication, over the
past 4 years, there's probably no dog that's heard his name as often
as Muttley has.

Whenever a dog hears his name, it should connote something special,
and serve as a cue to look at his owner, otherwise it eventually
becomes just another word.

Humm! I hadn't thought of that.
Old May 7th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

"Dogman" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 May 2010 17:02:35 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

My hope is that Paul is not just posting all this video so he can show
us all the stuff he knows he's doing wrong but doesn't care enough to
correct. I hope he will actually take some advice.

Schoen doesn't know enough to know what he doesn't know, and I don't
think he's a bad person.

He's just clueless, stubborn, and lazy, a deadly cocktail.

And then there's his craving for attention.

Poor Muttley.

Well, at least you're not jumping all over me, and the point about Muttley
not responding to his name is somewhat valid, at least. That has really been
a major problem since the beginning, and there are training exercises that
are introduced by some instructors in beginning obedience school that strive
to build name recognition and response. Some of these are "the name game",
"look at me", and "touch", which are often reinforced with treats and
"shaped" using a clicker.

Muttley certainly knows his name and responds, but not immediately,
especially if he is distracted and busy doing something more rewarding. He
does pay attention, even when not looking at me, and he gets excited if I
get up or say something that gives him a cue that it means something good,
like a walk, car ride, or food.

I admit that my motivation for training him is pretty low. Call that lazy if
you wish, but I am not aiming at a high level of obedience as most people
here seem to require from their dogs. I know a lot more about training than
the "average" dog owner, but my knowledge comes from many sources, some of
which are contradictory in their approaches, and I don't have very good
timing, or the "calm assertive energy" that Cesar Millan preaches as a "sine
qua non".

The videos I have taken at least show the current status of the
PaulAndMuttley team, and I really don't think things are as bad as many
people make them to be. "Poor Muttley", indeed! He has a good life, and we
have adapted to a peaceful coexistence that may not be particularly
exciting, but yet is mutually acceptable and beneficial. My next step may be
to shoot some "training" videos that show how Muttley responds to commands
in a less distracting environment than being off-leash in a meadow
surrounded by new smells and sounds of wildlife and other attractive things
to investigate.

So, as long as people are willing to be supportive and patient, I may be
motivated to make more progress with what I still consider "optional"
training for Muttley. Constructive criticism is always welcome, but nagging
and derision and rude comments do nothing to help, and may have the opposite
effect. So, let's see where we can go from here.

Paul and Muttley
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulAndMuttley

Old May 7th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 5/7/2010 4:34 PM, sighthounds & siberians wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2010 14:43:08 -0400, wrote:

On 7 May 2010 17:53:36 GMT, wrote:

"Paul E. said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkZPE1Lp6c

Good negative example of attention work. Towards the end
(2:40), Muttley doesn't respond to Paul's "c'mon, Muttley,
c'mon". Paul says "Hey" and Muttley pays attention. But no
reward or praise. I'd be doing handstands and playing with my
dog at this point.

Paul, it's not a big deal to praise your dog and to get silly
with him. Like many others, you seem to have difficulty
recognising at which points you should reward.

I think it was Phyrie, or maybe Sally, who first said that Muttley
seemed "disconnected," and I agreed.

Phyrie said it first and I agreed; I think it's an excellent
description. I can't recall having seen a dog that fails to respond
to his name to that degree.

Yeah, lets make up some fake problems to beat Paul over the head with!
Old May 8th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

"Dogman" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 May 2010 18:48:01 -0400, Char
wrote:

Yeah, lets make up some fake problems to beat Paul over the head with!

Well, if anyone knows anything about "fake problems," it would be you,
Char-latan, eh?

But Schoen himself basically admits to them, so you probably need to
take it up with him.

They may be problems for some, and simply situations and challenges for
others. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And definitions of "broke[n]"
vary widely. For those with OCD, the whole world is broken, and it will
never be good enough for them. Fake problems? Yup! Just to create a bone of
contention!

Paul and Muttley