Query, bicycle riding and dogs running beside

Old May 6th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Query, bicycle riding and dogs running beside

Hi,

Anyone doing this and any specific pitfalls to look for (other than
obviously the dog has to run straight and either leash-free or slack leash).

I couldnt go at 'speed' with Cash (he's not allowed to) but if I just lazed
along, it would work? Start with Charlotte jogging him on leash and me to
the side with some distance? Him in the middle? Later, dual leash to me and
her? Test and see? Then if looks ok, Charlotte takes her leash off after
several trials?

Humm, worth thinking about at least.

Old May 6th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Frank Morris

Howdy All,
I used to ride my mountain bike with 3 dogs on lead. Only got pulled
down 2 times. I forget one but the other time we were on a dirt road and
we came to some soft sand and the bike didn't "track" straight and one
dog thought I was going to run him over, so he jumped out of the way and
down into the soft sand I went.
Friends of mine have used the springer and like it. But, if I was
riding with just one dog I would still just have them on lead.

Frank X. Morris http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/ChimeandFriends

Old May 6th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote

http://www.springeramerica.com/

AWESOME! Email off to them on just where to most safely attach one to a
Cultech Monte Bianco circa 2001. Cant raise the seat (due to my height) and
the unit is very HEAVY DUTY so doesn't have the spindly setup of a racer at
all. Reasobably man's guess, she's 65lbs worth of solid metal and most of
the structure exceeds the size of the attachment. THere's a shaped part
though that runs to the back wheel which may be usable?

Old May 7th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"cshenk" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

"Dogman" wrote

http://www.springeramerica.com/

AWESOME!

Check your city by-laws. Mine allows riding with your dogs off-
leash, but not on-leash (including springer-type harnesses).

--
--Matt.
Old May 7th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Rocky" wrote
"cshenk" said
"Dogman" wrote

http://www.springeramerica.com/

AWESOME!

Check your city by-laws. Mine allows riding with your dogs off-
leash, but not on-leash (including springer-type harnesses).

Mine doesnt allow them off-leash. If there is any allowance for the
off-leash setups, I haven't seen anyone using them with a bike yet.

Anyways, the Springer guys got back to me in email to my query and it seems
I have the oddball rare bike that can't work with the springer unless the
seat is raised at least 3.5 inches (and then I can't ride it as the seat
will be too high). It's seat post is too thick and not long enough.

Ah well.

Old May 7th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Dogman" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Anyways, the Springer guys got back to me in email to my query and it
seems
I have the oddball rare bike that can't work with the springer unless the
seat is raised at least 3.5 inches (and then I can't ride it as the seat
will be too high). It's seat post is too thick and not long enough.

Ah well.

Damn, that's too bad.
Because they really do work great.

Yeah, thats why I said AWESOME! I could see that right away. But ya just
don't dump a 1,000$ bike easily (grin). They cost more outside Japan I am
sure and that was 2001 prices at the military exchange in Sasebo.

BTW, if you'd like a picture of the bike and their response, shott me an
email. My address isn't grunged and I will keep your's private.

Meantime, having seen the Springer, it gives me some ideas. There's an add
on back basket set for the Cultech that spans the wheels and has a platform
(plus shopping baskets to the sides). Grin, in a land where only about 1/2
the families have a car and going to work as well as shopping on a bicycle
is normal, they have some really quality add-ons. I even have spare snow
tires with studs for it just like folks have for cars and just like cars,
you swap off to summer set after snow/ice time is past. Anyways, with the
add on, I can span out something securely and drop a leash from that. He's
short enough it would be the right height pretty much and i could fix it
pretty near the seat core which seems safer for him (and me).

Then, the next bit would be training us *both* safely to use it. That means
I assume working in tandem leashes with Charlotte jogging along side until
he gets the idea 'must run straight with Mommie on bike like I do with
Charlotte' and me remembering to go slow (Got my only ticket in Sasebo, 45
KPH in a 35KPH highway on the Cultech was what he clocked, dunno as I was
*that* fast but cost me 24,000yen or about 210$ USAD).

My aims are simple here. Safe fun and exercise for both of us. Other than
walking, I've been very limited the past year but things just feel 'better'
right now and like Cash, I wanna go out and sniff the flowers and run about
as much as I can.

I googled some sites in the meantime on how to leash lead a dog on a
bicycle. Some were seeming pretty screwy (one wanted you to use a clicker
which may work in time but umm, seems like you'd possibly hurt the dog or
get hurt falling over a few times first?).

My best 'logic' here is to ride slowly to the side (3-4feet or so from him)
as Charlotte jogs him. Let him get used to the idea of a bike with Mommie
on it. If he takes well to that, next time use the ring on his harness with
a second leash looped through the center 'boy' post (maybe in my hand? Not
sure as one gives core support and the other gives possible re-steering but
can drop the leash in danger if have to). Practice slow stops on the bike
with Charlotte short leashing him.

Humm, probably over thinking this but it's fun to *me* to analyze what would
be fun and safe for us all. (Data analyst by trade)

Thinking. I need to teach him a new word. 'Stop' to him is an immediate.
I'd hurt him if he was running and said 'stop' as the bike coasted to a
stop.

'Brake' maybe?

If we get this working, we all have fun and Cash so LOVES to learn new
stuff. You can almost see his grin. 'Hey Mom, got that one down pat,
what's next?'

Old May 12th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
caroline

"cshenk" wrote
Hi,

Anyone doing this and any specific pitfalls to look for (other than
obviously the dog has to run straight and either leash-free or slack
leash).

I couldnt go at 'speed' with Cash (he's not allowed to) but if I just
lazed along, it would work? Start with Charlotte jogging him on leash and
me to the side with some distance? Him in the middle? Later, dual leash
to me and her? Test and see? Then if looks ok, Charlotte takes her leash
off after several trials?

Humm, worth thinking about at least.

Seeing as the Springer set-up won't work with your bicycle....google
'bikejoring' and see if that suits you guys better....it doesn't have to be
flat out racing speed, just go at whatever speed you're both most
comfortable with.

I bikejor with a GSP-x and a Collie-x, and we all love it!

Old May 13th 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"caroline" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Seeing as the Springer set-up won't work with your bicycle....google
'bikejoring' and see if that suits you guys better....it doesn't have to
be flat out racing speed, just go at whatever speed you're both most
comfortable with.

I bikejor with a GSP-x and a Collie-x, and we all love it!

Got it! The one that attaches to the back wheel is perfect. Thanks so
much!

Old May 13th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
caroline

"cshenk" wrote
"caroline" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Seeing as the Springer set-up won't work with your bicycle....google
'bikejoring' and see if that suits you guys better....it doesn't have to
be flat out racing speed, just go at whatever speed you're both most
comfortable with.

I bikejor with a GSP-x and a Collie-x, and we all love it!

Got it! The one that attaches to the back wheel is perfect. Thanks so
much!

Now I'm very confused.....bikejoring is a *sport*, not an attachment....and
I would definitely not go bikejoring with either of my two attached to the
rear of my bike :-)

Old May 13th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

"caroline" wrote in message

"cshenk" wrote
"caroline" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Seeing as the Springer set-up won't work with your bicycle....google
'bikejoring' and see if that suits you guys better....it doesn't have to
be flat out racing speed, just go at whatever speed you're both most
comfortable with.

I bikejor with a GSP-x and a Collie-x, and we all love it!

Got it! The one that attaches to the back wheel is perfect. Thanks so
much!

Now I'm very confused.....bikejoring is a *sport*, not an
attachment....and I would definitely not go bikejoring with either of my
two attached to the rear of my bike :-)

From what I saw in the Wiki, bikejoring has the dog(s) pulling the bike from
the handlebars, and they are ahead of the bike like sled dogs. There was
also a reference to WalkyDog:
http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkyd...ike-leash.html

This has a seat mount and a rear wheel mount. It is really a pipe with
internal springs and a leash which has some shock absorbing effect which
allows the dog some freedom, but it seems that if a dog would see an animal
in the bushes and take off to the side, it might pull the bike and rider
over, especially with the higher mounting on the seat.

It may be easy enough to make such an attachment using a bungee cord, pipes
and a Kee Clamp.
http://www.buyrailings.com/lc-catid-...5QodZiNKJA.htm
http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pr...FczE3AodTUtPIA
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5A475

PVC pipe is cheaper and its flexibility may also be helpful.
http://www.snapclamp.com/prices.htm
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipe-repair.html

You can also make a pull-behind dog cart from PVC pipe:
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/carting/pvccart.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_4899114_make-dog-cart.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4885231_buil...pull-cart.html
http://www.cartingwithyourdog.com/cpgall01.html