4-H Club ... Any suggestions?

Old July 18th 03, 04:49 PM
Emily Carroll

Default 4-H Club ... Any suggestions?

Hi

Working on my club's website. Any suggestions? (So far, only "membership"
is intact.) If you see any "rules" that I should have but missed, please
let me know! I want to cover myself so that no one can argue "but it's not
in the rules!"

http://www.geocities.com/woofsandwig...embership.html

--
Emily Carroll
http://www.geocities.com/diamonds_in...yes/index.html

---

Old July 18th 03, 05:10 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Emily Carroll" wrote in
:

Hi

Working on my club's website. Any suggestions? (So far, only
"membership" is intact.) If you see any "rules" that I should have
but missed, please let me know! I want to cover myself so that no one
can argue "but it's not in the rules!"

http://www.geocities.com/woofsandwig...embership.html

What is a 4-H club??

One thing I can think of is something in about missing meetings for valid
reasons. Family emergencies or something like that.

Another thing that comes to mind is that you (or someone else) have the
final say on banning someone.

Probation period for someone who acts aggressively (or whose dog acts
aggressively)

Refund of fees for those people who may get kicked out.

What happens with the bad-dog fund?

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't
get eight cats to pull a sled through
snow.' Jeff Valdez

Old July 18th 03, 05:14 PM
Emily Carroll

What is a 4-H club??

It's a club for kids to do all sorts of stuff. They can make crafts, show
horses, cattle, pigs, rabbits, cavies, dogs, cats, hamsters, etc. at the
county fairs, public service, all sorts of stuff. Ours is dog-training
only.

One thing I can think of is something in about missing meetings for valid
reasons. Family emergencies or something like that.

I don't include that because when you do, family emergencies start popping
up all over There are exceptions, I just don't publicize it

Another thing that comes to mind is that you (or someone else) have the
final say on banning someone.

Thanks Will include. I only know of 2 people county-wide that might
even need that restriction (and we've got over 2000 kids enrolled in our
county's program) so I'll save it for then

Probation period for someone who acts aggressively (or whose dog acts
aggressively)

No probation for aggressive dogs. They aren't welcome. I'm not experienced
enough to deal with it and I don't want anyone to get bit.

Refund of fees for those people who may get kicked out.

Nope. Not part of the 4-H deal. They don't pay for the classes.

What happens with the bad-dog fund?

Once it's substantial enough, it goes into the club treasury.

~Emily

---

Old July 18th 03, 05:17 PM
Dimpled Chad

On 18 Jul 2003, Emily Carroll opined:

http://www.4-h.org/

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

"I personally do not value 'customer testimonials'
because they can be fraudulent or paid
endorsements." Jerry Howe

Old July 18th 03, 05:40 PM
Emily Carroll

And also, if someone is banned, can they come back a year later?

Not these two. I'm not interested in dealing with them or their parents.
(Must win at all costs with our sub-standard dog that we don't train. Oops,
he didn't work out this year, let's sell him and get a new dog from the
pound, maybe this one will come trained.)

Maybe a part of the bad-dog fund can go towards treats or toys for kids
(or dogs) that do something impressive?? Most improved dog, most improved
handler or something like that.

Club $$ is something the kids vote on. That said, I'm going to do what Leah
does with her class next year and have the star-board thing.

Maybe (and I don't know how feasible this would be) have people, when
they come in with their dog, come in with a bit of history on the dog and
some traits of the breed? That way a club library/database could be
started.

Actually, this is something that 4-H kids in Michigan are suppossed to know
to do showmanship. They're asked about shots, body parts, breed traits,
i.e. "What colors does the AKC allow your breed to come in?" "What are four
other breeds in your dog's group?"

~Emily

---

Old July 18th 03, 06:08 PM
Emily Carroll

Maybe something covering food present on the grounds of the club??

We don't bring food to meetings/etc. We meet once weekly (Wed. nite) at
6:30--they've had dinner already and it's too big of a hassle to coordinate
food.

How about something covering dogs that require grooming? Dogs that are
prone to knots in their fur or something?

If anyone needs grooming help, I discuss it individually. So far, no
issues. The only dog that's remotely prone to matting (based on
breed--Keeshond/Golden mix) has no undercoat to speak of.

Should each family provide their own source of water for their pup? How
about treats? Are there some that you don't want people to bring/use?

They provide everything themselves--including bug spray. I found that it
got annoying when no one would bring their stuff and count on me to have it
available, that I started telling them to bring what they needed. Of course
if they forget once, no biggie. I can go in and get them a bucket o'water.
But the kids are expected to know what their dogs will need. They each
actually now have a napsack with their dogs' supplies, leash, showmanship
leads, treats, cookies, and even remember to bring lunchmeat for
showmanship.

~Emily

---

Old July 18th 03, 08:39 PM
Emily Carroll

Duct tape. You'll need it for the parents mouths. :-) I work with a
couple of 4-H kids, and don't have any trouble at all with their
parents. In fact, my kids have _great parents.

Mine do, too. But I only have 2, maybe 3 (just sent something out today)
families.

Supportive, not
interfering. But other groups? Yikes.

Yeah. That's why I started my own club instead of conglomerating with
anyone else. Most of my county has dog&horse clubs, and you know horse
people. *rolls eyes.*

I"m told it's my no-nonsense approach to The Rules. My mother said I
was tactless. DH says I"m blunt. My _friends say I'm direct. I say I
have a very, very low bulls*** threshold. G

Yeah, pretty much me too

~Emily

---