Muttley finally learning to fetch things

Old May 22nd 10, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

Default Muttley finally learning to fetch things

For some time now I've been trying to get Muttley to bring me things such as
chewed up old bones, paper plates, batteries, sticks, and other items on the
floor. For some reason, he often gets very excited and he jumps around and
scratches himself and frantically looks for something to pick up, and
sometimes he'll grab a bone and toss it. He also makes a funny sort of grin.

This evening I let him lick out an ice cream carton and the lid. I asked him
to bring them to me when he had finished, and he brought me the lid, three
bones, and finally the empty container. He seemed a bit less excited and
more focused. So I got a fresh marrow bone from the fridge and had him lie
down. He practically threw his front legs out to assume the position
instantly, and he took the bone back to his place and enjoyed it for a
while.

I'll try to get a video clip of this next time. Muttley the retriever, a
potential service dog!

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old May 22nd 10, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie[_3_]

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
news
[...]

So, in four years, you are just now "teaching" Muttley something? Better
late than never, I suppose.
How are you training him?
What methods are you using? Is Muttley enjoying it? Is he having fun?
Are you using treats to reward?
Are you clicker training?
How often do you train a day? A week?

Old May 22nd 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen[_4_]

"Phyrie" wrote in message

[...]

I don't have any schedule for training and I don't use any particular
method, but I do give him treats or generally good things to reinforce
wanted behavior. He's not a playful dog, and I don't know if he's having
fun. But he seems relaxed and calm. Most important to me is that he is
trustworthy to be left alone, and he is OK meeting new people and other
dogs. Formal training, IMO, is optional as long as his basic behavior is
acceptable. But all interactions subject to leadership and guidance are
essentially training, and those occur daily.

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

I FINALLY TRAINED THE DOG!!! sit fetch stay YAY doggy bone Dogs - general 0 October 7th 09 02:38 AM
not a joke: how to play fetch Cate Dog behavior 45 September 29th 03 02:46 PM
how to fetch update Cate Dog behavior 117 September 29th 03 04:05 AM
how to fetch update Cate Dog behavior 0 September 23rd 03 09:17 PM
how to fetch update Cate Dog behavior 0 September 23rd 03 09:17 PM