Moving house

Old July 18th 03, 11:00 PM
Mark/Shell

Default Moving house

I'm about to move house and I'm a touch worried how my to boys will react to
the change. At the moment they have a smallish walled garden whereas our new
house will have 3 enclosed acres. Years ago when I last moved my previous
dog Holly (a Border Collie) was quite upset by the move and took ages to
settle down but she was a very highly strung and nervy dog. At home George
is a very dominant and strong personality dog even though he is agoraphobic.

Has anyone and advice on the best way to make the move less traumatic on the
dogs. Both dogs were rescue dogs and I have had them both a year. BTW they
are never left alone so wouldn't have to cope with being alone in the new
house.

Shell

see my boys at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/hollyputt

Old July 22nd 03, 04:26 AM
Supergoof

"Mark/Shell" wrote ...

Has anyone and advice on the best way to make the move less traumatic on

the
dogs. Both dogs were rescue dogs and I have had them both a year. BTW they
are never left alone so wouldn't have to cope with being alone in the new
house.

When we shifted house I left Murphy with Mum for the day just so she
wouldn't be underfoot, got everything shifted and then mum came around with
Murphy (and her sister, Mindy), who promptly sniffed everything in the house
and yard, made sure there wasn't any food on offer, then settled onto her
beanbag to keep an eye on us!

The first night we tried to get her to sleep in her own room, but she kept
getting up so my partner, the big softie, moved her back into our room.

Despite the trauma of the first night ) Murphy had no trouble adjusting
to the new house. I was a bit worried she might go nuts like she has done
when I've had to leave her in an unfamiliar house, but I guess because all
our stuff was there, and her beanbags, she knew it was 'home' and settled
straight down. We shifted on the Saturday and it was back to work on Monday,
and Murphy was absolutely fine.

Rachel
(New Zealand)