Tibetan terrier puppy problem

Old June 16th 10, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
meteore

Default Tibetan terrier puppy problem

Hi,

I understand that all puppies moan and shriek the first night they are
brought home. It goes on forever day and night.
I had dogs before. It lasted for about an hour and then stopped
permanently. This one never stopped. The second night I brought her
crate into the bed room and this temporarily helped. I put her back in
the porch with her breakfast and she resumed howling, etc.

One neighbour heard her from his downstairs apt and complained.

She cannot stand to be away fom me one second.

How can I solve this problem?

By the waythis new puppy is eight weeks old.

Roger
Old June 17th 10, 05:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

meteore said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I understand that all puppies moan and shriek the first
night they are brought home. It goes on forever day and
night.

I've raised a few dogs, and the only one to make noise at
night was my first dog. This was after following poor advice
that the dog was not allowed to be in the bedroom because of
dominance concerns. Of course, this is hogwash. When I moved
her into the bedroom at night (didn't know about crates then),
she was fine.

Her sleeping in your room is a good bonding time, plus it
helps in house training.

I had dogs before. It lasted for about an hour and then
stopped permanently.

Every dog is different, but after the first time, I didn't
bother experimenting with the others. It worked out fine. My
wife and I liked the dog sleeping in the bedroom - once
warning us to an intruder in the yard. I wouldn't have heard
that growl if she had been secluded somewhere else.

This one never stopped. The second night I
brought her crate into the bedroom and this temporarily
helped. I put her back in the porch with her breakfast and
she resumed howling, etc.

She's used to being with her mother and siblings and she
doesn't understand the dislocation. As dogman says, give her
time. Personally, I'd let her be in the bedroom, but I can
understand how this wouldn't work in situations with more dogs
than I've had.

One neighbour heard her from his downstairs apt and
complained.

As I would.

She cannot stand to be away fom me one second.

That's a good thing, depending upon how you deal with that.
Bonding is good, extreme dependence is not so good.

How can I solve this problem?

Keep her crated in your bedroom until you trust her uncrated
in your bedroom. After a while, add some freedom in whatever
stages you consider appropriate.

Me? I crate in my bedroom for a night or two, then give
freedom of the bedroom at night. I'm a light sleeper, so I
know when the dog needs to pee.

By the waythis new puppy is eight weeks old.

Roger

You've had dogs before, Roger - how about a puppy?

Not meaning to come off critical, but every dog is different
and puppies are even more different.

--
--Matt.
Old June 17th 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie[_3_]

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Matt, hasn't this guy been talking about a TT puppy for ages? Seems to me
he was looking for one way back when, asking all kinds of basic care-type
questions. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we're being trolled.

If he isn't one, he doesn't say how long this puppy has been screaming, but
I get the feeling it's been many days, or longer. I think more information,
and visit to the vet, might be in order. Why would a puppy, even too young
to taken from it's mother, scream all the time if it's being cared for
properly?

Old June 17th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

"Phyrie" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Matt, hasn't this guy been talking about a TT puppy for
ages? Seems to me he was looking for one way back when,
asking all kinds of basic care-type questions. I could be
wrong, but I have a feeling we're being trolled.

I don't care; I've been away for blocks of time in the last year
or so, and he brings up good points of discussion.

If he isn't one, he doesn't say how long this puppy has
been screaming, but I get the feeling it's been many days,
or longer. I think more information, and visit to the vet,
might be in order. Why would a puppy, even too young to
taken from it's mother, scream all the time if it's being
cared for properly?

"Screaming" is the poster's description and I took it as
anthropomorphism. Puppies can be shrill when left alone at
night.

--
--Matt.
Old June 17th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:13:07 -0700, "Phyrie"
wrote:

Matt, hasn't this guy been talking about a TT puppy for ages? Seems to me
he was looking for one way back when, asking all kinds of basic care-type
questions. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we're being trolled.

He asked for food recommendations, received a couple of replies, and
then posted again saying something along the lines of "I'm still
waiting for food recommendations". I don't think he's a troll, but it
doesn't look like he wants to do his own homework, which may be worse.

If he isn't one, he doesn't say how long this puppy has been screaming, but
I get the feeling it's been many days, or longer. I think more information,
and visit to the vet, might be in order. Why would a puppy, even too young
to taken from it's mother, scream all the time if it's being cared for
properly?

Well, I can see how a young pup would scream if it was isolated in a
room with no people or other dogs. Puppies are, after all, babies,
which this pup's owner should keep in mind.

Old June 17th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
meteore

I had this TT puppy three days as of today. Because it is a difficult
breed to find a breeder, I was able to obtain one only recenty and
within a 2 hour drive of home. I did not want to get a puppy during
the winter months and seized the opportunity with this breeder after
they recontacted me 15 months later and asked me if I was still
interested. I decided against my other considerations as I wanted a
low energy dog and primarily one suited for an appartment.

I do not understand what you mean about troll. If any of you dislike
my previous postings, do not bother to read them.

Roger
Old June 18th 10, 08:32 PM
VeronicaJ VeronicaJ is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteore View Post
Hi,

I understand that all puppies moan and shriek the first night they are
brought home. It goes on forever day and night.
I had dogs before. It lasted for about an hour and then stopped
permanently. This one never stopped. The second night I brought her
crate into the bed room and this temporarily helped. I put her back in
the porch with her breakfast and she resumed howling, etc.

One neighbour heard her from his downstairs apt and complained.

She cannot stand to be away fom me one second.

How can I solve this problem?

By the waythis new puppy is eight weeks old.

Roger
That is a really tough problem. I would suggest giving her some things to play with and snuggle with in her cage to help calm her down.
Old June 29th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Jun 17, 11:38*am, meteore wrote:
I had this TT puppy three days as of today. Because it is a difficult
breed to find a breeder, I was able to obtain one only recenty and
within a 2 hour drive of home. I did not want to get a puppy during
the winter months and seized the opportunity with this breeder after
they recontacted me 15 months later and asked me if I was still
interested. I decided against my other considerations as I wanted a
low energy dog and primarily one suited for an appartment.

I do not understand what you mean about troll. If *any of you dislike
my previous postings, do not bother to read them.

Roger

So - what's the situation NOW??!?