Housebreaking Problem

Old June 18th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
WVMontani

Default Housebreaking Problem

We have a 9-month-old Shetland Sheepdog that has learned to pee
everywhere but outdoors, preferring instead to pee in her crate. My
wife and I have spent countless hours with trying to train her. W
have tried crate training, rewarding with treats, taking her out with
the other dog hoping she will get the idea, nothing.

One day my wife and I tag-teamed with the dog keeping her outdoors on
a leash for six hours. No pee. when we finally gave up and brought
her inside, sure enough, she ran straight to her crate and cut loose.
It's almost as if she thinks she is doing the right thing by going
indoors and not outdoors.

Any thoughts?

-WVM
Old June 18th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 6/18/2010 1:42 PM, WVMontani wrote:
We have a 9-month-old Shetland Sheepdog that has learned to pee
everywhere but outdoors, preferring instead to pee in her crate. My
wife and I have spent countless hours with trying to train her. W
have tried crate training, rewarding with treats, taking her out with
the other dog hoping she will get the idea, nothing.

One day my wife and I tag-teamed with the dog keeping her outdoors on
a leash for six hours. No pee. when we finally gave up and brought
her inside, sure enough, she ran straight to her crate and cut loose.
It's almost as if she thinks she is doing the right thing by going
indoors and not outdoors.

Any thoughts?

-WVM

real easy here...

take the crate outside, remove the bottom and get her peeing in there
but outside.
Old June 18th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"WVMontani" wrote

One day my wife and I tag-teamed with the dog keeping her outdoors on
a leash for six hours. No pee. when we finally gave up and brought
her inside, sure enough, she ran straight to her crate and cut loose.

If your crate has a removable bottom. Take it outside and take the bottom
off. Have her sit inside then praise her highly when she goes on the grass.
Keep taking the crate outside like that every hour or so for a bit and
praising when she pees/poops outside. It won't take long.

Old June 18th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Char" wrote

take the crate outside, remove the bottom and get her peeing in there
but outside.

LOL! Message came in on my newsreader just after I posted.
Old June 29th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Jun 18, 1:42*pm, WVMontani wrote:
We have a 9-month-old Shetland Sheepdog that has learned to pee
everywhere but outdoors, preferring instead to pee in her crate. *My
wife and I have spent countless hours with trying to train her. *W
have tried crate training, rewarding with treats, taking her out with
the other dog hoping she will get the idea, nothing.

One day my wife and I tag-teamed with the dog keeping her outdoors on
a leash for six hours. *No pee. *when we finally gave up and brought
her inside, sure enough, she ran straight to her crate and cut loose.

Where did she come from? Does she defecate outdoors?

Why did you let her loose in the house, knowing she hadn't peed in 6
hours while outside?!?!?! Don't do that. Keep her tethered to you/on
leash.

Are you feeding her at scheduled times? Taking her out on a
schedule? What is her daytime and nighttime crating schedule like?
Is there anything in her crate? What type is it and how large is it?
Where is it located? Do you feed her in her crate?

I wouldn't use a bottomless crate outside. I would ditch the idea of
the crate entirely. Clearly it is counterproductive. Change to an x-
pen or safe room. Schedule, schedule, schedule, schedule. Devote an
entire weekend to nothing but housebreaking. She must NOT gain any
access to her crate or indoor freedom until she eliminates outdoors.

Old June 29th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Jun 29, 3:18*pm, Dogman wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:35:18 -0700 (PDT), Janet
wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:42 pm, WVMontani wrote:
We have a 9-month-old Shetland Sheepdog that has learned to pee
everywhere but outdoors, preferring instead to pee in her crate. My
wife and I have spent countless hours with trying to train her. W
have tried crate training, rewarding with treats, taking her out with
the other dog hoping she will get the idea, nothing.

One day my wife and I tag-teamed with the dog keeping her outdoors on
a leash for six hours. No pee. when we finally gave up and brought
her inside, sure enough, she ran straight to her crate and cut loose.

Where did she come from? *Does she defecate outdoors?

That's a pretty old post you're responding to, and the OP didn't
respond to several replies offering advice (very similar to yours), so
I think it's pretty much a dead thread.

I note in a previous post that you ditched your news reader (Agent?).

May I inquire as to why?

--
Dogman

No Agent - not compatible with Mac. Had something else and wasn't
spending enough time on the groups to make it worthwhile anymore. It
would be nice to find a Mac friendly free newsreader.
Old June 29th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:42*pm, WVMontani wrote:
We have a 9-month-old Shetland Sheepdog that has learned to pee
everywhere but outdoors, preferring instead to pee in her crate. *My
wife and I have spent countless hours with trying to train her. *W
have tried crate training, rewarding with treats, taking her out with
the other dog hoping she will get the idea, nothing.

One day my wife and I tag-teamed with the dog keeping her outdoors on
a leash for six hours. *No pee. *when we finally gave up and brought
her inside, sure enough, she ran straight to her crate and cut loose.

Where did she come from? Does she defecate outdoors?

That's a pretty old post you're responding to, and the OP didn't
respond to several replies offering advice (very similar to yours), so
I think it's pretty much a dead thread.

It's a safe bet these days that any thread will be dead after more
than 10 days. I've noticed, too, that OPs aren't responding much to
advice or other replies to their questions. And no, it isn't because
the old regulars are being mean to them.

Old June 29th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:08:42 -0400, Dogman wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:46:44 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

[...]
That's a pretty old post you're responding to, and the OP didn't
respond to several replies offering advice (very similar to yours), so
I think it's pretty much a dead thread.

It's a safe bet these days that any thread will be dead after more
than 10 days. I've noticed, too, that OPs aren't responding much to
advice or other replies to their questions. And no, it isn't because
the old regulars are being mean to them.

Agreed. It's probably because of aggregators like Google Groups,
Dogbanter, etc. People don't check back soon or often enough to see
replies, because it's hard to navigate around those portals.

I've read and posted through Google Groups and it hasn't been as bad
as I'd expected. Dogbanter I know nothing about.

I'm always hesitant to reply to such posts because of that, but feel
that there may still be benefit to others, especially lurkers (the
numbers of which always surprise me), even if the OP never replies.

I thought of this the other day, when there was yet more whining and
gnashing of teeth about how mean all of the 'old regulars' (except for
Alison) are. Just because there isn't much posting going on doesn't
mean there isn't anyone here; there is a surprising number of lurkers
around, some of whom have been here for years.
Old June 30th 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
starcat

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

I thought of this the other day, when there was yet more whining and
gnashing of teeth about how mean all of the 'old regulars' (except for
Alison) are. Just because there isn't much posting going on doesn't
mean there isn't anyone here; there is a surprising number of lurkers
around, some of whom have been here for years.

Like me. I've been a lurker for the two years we've had Remy, and I'm still
reading and getting good bits of information from you guys. And your
anti-humping suggestions worked great - he rarely tries it any more. He's
really quite the polite little gentleman now.

Old June 30th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:34:09 -0500, "starcat"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

I thought of this the other day, when there was yet more whining and
gnashing of teeth about how mean all of the 'old regulars' (except for
Alison) are. Just because there isn't much posting going on doesn't
mean there isn't anyone here; there is a surprising number of lurkers
around, some of whom have been here for years.

Like me. I've been a lurker for the two years we've had Remy, and I'm still
reading and getting good bits of information from you guys. And your
anti-humping suggestions worked great - he rarely tries it any more. He's
really quite the polite little gentleman now.

You were in the back of my mind when I posted that. But regarding
Remy's humping problem, you really had it pretty much figured out
yourself. But sometimes it's good to post an issue here or toss it
around with someone, just to sort of brainstorm and get other people's
input. You might get new ideas, and you might get positive
reinforcement that you were on the right track.

Teddy has been humping Oksana recently. I'm not sure how tall he is
but he's 20 lb. and she's 29" and 65+ pounds. This is one of those
humping situations that is definitely not about dominance. We do of
course tell him to knock it off - when we can stop laughing.

re housebreaking aavellar Dog behavior 0 December 23rd 05 06:57 PM
Help with housebreaking ankalime Dog behavior 6 March 26th 04 12:24 PM
Housebreaking problem in specific rooms Mike Megargee Dog behavior 3 November 6th 03 04:34 PM
Housebreaking problem in specific rooms Mike Megargee Dog behavior 0 November 6th 03 04:06 PM
Housebreaking problem in specific rooms Mike Megargee Dog behavior 0 November 6th 03 04:06 PM