Trimming nails help.

Old June 21st 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
wintermute

Default Trimming nails help.

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS
aversion to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the
past trimming her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're
killing her. It's truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to
stop. She doesn't have any issues with having her feet
touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

-thx.

--

wintermute

Old June 22nd 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
dejablues[_2_]

"wintermute" wrote in message

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS aversion
to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the past trimming
her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're killing her. It's
truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to stop. She doesn't have
any issues with having her feet touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

Ignore the screaming and noise and keep on trimming. Otherwise, pay a
groomer to do it.

Old June 22nd 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Char

On 6/21/2010 3:34 PM, wintermute wrote:

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS
aversion to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the
past trimming her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're
killing her. It's truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to
stop. She doesn't have any issues with having her feet touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

Yeah, this didn't happen for no reason. You must have cut them too short
and hurt her.

A groomer only charges a few bucks to cut them. Can you manage that?
Old June 23rd 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
wintermute

On 2010-06-21 13:13:26 -0700, Dogman said:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:34:25 -0700, wintermute wrote:

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS
aversion to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the
past trimming her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're
killing her. It's truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to
stop. She doesn't have any issues with having her feet
touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

What tool do you use to cut her nails?

nice nail trimmer, guillotine style.

Ever cut her quick?

nope

Ever tried doing it (grinding instead of cutting) with a Dremel tool?

nope, have you?

Do you use treats to reward her for letting you cut her nails?

yes.

Could there be a splinter in (or between) her paws?

No, she has no issues with having her paws inspected. See original post.

In what position do you put her before you start?

She is standing, on a grooming table.

Is there anything else going on at home that started approximately the
same time?

Nothing. She's a happy pooch.
--

wintermute

Old June 23rd 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
wintermute

On 2010-06-22 05:00:30 -0700, Char said:

On 6/21/2010 3:34 PM, wintermute wrote:

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS
aversion to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the
past trimming her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're
killing her. It's truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to
stop. She doesn't have any issues with having her feet touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

Yeah, this didn't happen for no reason. You must have cut them too
short and hurt her.

Never cut her quick.

A groomer only charges a few bucks to cut them. Can you manage that?

We'll have to as we can't manage at the moment.

--

wintermute

Old June 23rd 10, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
sonofdog

On 2010-06-22 05:00:30 -0700, Char said:

On 6/21/2010 3:34 PM, wintermute wrote:

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS
aversion to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the
past trimming her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're
killing her. It's truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to
stop. She doesn't have any issues with having her feet
touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

Yeah, this didn't happen for no reason. You must have cut them too
short and hurt her.

Never cut her quick.

A groomer only charges a few bucks to cut them. Can you manage that?

We'll have to as we can't manage at the moment.

I suggest to take your dog to vet and check it for inflammatory
rheumatism or osteoarthritis
Old June 23rd 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey[_3_]

Dogman wrote :
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:01:24 -0700, wintermute wrote:
She is standing, on a grooming table.

I've never had much luck doing it that way. I always have my dogs lie
on their side, and I get down on the floor with them.

I used to clip Jack's nails while he stood. Jack was a tweaky b*std,
though, so I accomodated as many of his nonlethal eccentricities as I
could. I have Duke lie on his side, but the ACDs go belly up cradled
between my knees. Better control, as you say, plus the submissive
posture has a calming effect. (Except on Ranger. Makes him sneeze.)

...I'll do two paws that way, then have the dog get up and aim itself
in the other direction, and lie down again.

You're such a softie g. I spin 'em around when I want the other side,
except Ranger -- he's getting too fragile for that sort of thing.

They usually get a liver treat after each paw.

SOFTIE! One small biscuit after all four paws. Admittedly, I *started*
with a tiny liver or lamb lung treat after every toe, but faded the
reward as the dogs became accusomed to the routine.

Of course, I start them out this way as puppies, so they grow to love
it. Just getting out the Dremel tool box can cause my dogs to trot
over to me and lie down at my feet, which tells me that they enjoy
having their nails trimmed, which was my evil plan from the get-go.

In the current configuration, Lindy and Ranger still would rather eat
worms than get their nails clipped. Duke and Caris both want to be
first in line, mainly so they can get their cookie and get back in line
to go again (for another cookie).

I don't have much more to offer in the way of advice, but I'd give
that Dremel tool a chance, and then make it as pleasurable an
experience for the dog as you possibly can.

The only other advice I'd give is to make nail trimming inevitable.
Unavoidable. A constant in a world of change. Make it pleasant, but
also make it frequent. Do one toe a day, or one foot every other day,
or all four feet once a week, but do it.

The OP said "now she screams and hollers like we're killing her. It's
truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to stop." If the
clippers are sharp and you're not actually hurting her, keep going.

I've heard tales of ACDs who go absolutely bat guano frantic when nail
trimming time comes around, for no apparent reason. Generally, though,
they also strongly object to their feet being handled in any way.

--
Mary H. and the restored Ames National Zoo:
The Right Reverand Sir Edgar "Lucky" Pan-Waffles;
Old June 23rd 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
Char

On 2010-06-22 05:00:30 -0700, Char said:

On 6/21/2010 3:34 PM, wintermute wrote:

Our aussie cattledog / collie mix has recently developed a SERIOS
aversion to getting her nails trimmed. We have been successful in the
past trimming her nails but now she screams and hollers like we're
killing her. It's truly heartbreaking to the point where we have to
stop. She doesn't have any issues with having her feet
touched/inspected.

Any pointers?

Yeah, this didn't happen for no reason. You must have cut them too
short and hurt her.

Never cut her quick.

A groomer only charges a few bucks to cut them. Can you manage that?

We'll have to as we can't manage at the moment.

The only other thing I can think of is vaccinosis. Did the dog have a
vaccination around the time this behavior started? They can cause
phobias like this. More common are an aversion to thunder and lightening
or to water.

Char
Old June 23rd 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
Phyrie[_3_]

"Char" wrote in message
m...

The only other thing I can think of is vaccinosis. Did the dog have a
vaccination around the time this behavior started? They can cause phobias
like this. More common are an aversion to thunder and lightening or to
water.

Char

Really? That's the ONLY thing you can think of? I'm not surprised, but I'm
very surprised you admit how small-minded you are...

Phyrie

Old June 24th 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.activities
Char

On 6/23/2010 6:10 PM, Phyrie wrote:

"Char" wrote in message
m...

The only other thing I can think of is vaccinosis. Did the dog have a
vaccination around the time this behavior started? They can cause
phobias like this. More common are an aversion to thunder and
lightening or to water.

Char

Really? That's the ONLY thing you can think of? I'm not surprised, but
I'm very surprised you admit how small-minded you are...

Phyrie

Personal attacks don't suit you Phyrie, especially since I know so much
about your own sordid background. Looks like you are stumped and figured
since you don't have an original thought of your own why not try rudeness.

Vaccinosis is a very possible source of this change in behavior. If you
don't agree I'm fine with that but to make personal attacks for no real
reason is why the dog groups are as dead as they are. Look in the mirror
and see what you've done.

All opinions are accepted here, not just the ones you feel might help.
Who is the small minded one here?